Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis vs snes based on 6 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Genesis vs snes based on 6 games.

Ok this battle of the systems is based on the following games. All by konami.
    All these games are classics. Try not to let nostalgia get you and try be impartial. It's easy for me since I only owned one of these games the first time around.

Snes
    contra 3
    Castlevania 4
    Turtles in time

Vs.

Genesis
    Contra hardcorps
    Castlevania bloodlines
    Hyperstone heist

My vote goes to genesis. While not as pretty these games seem more fun and interesting to play.
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

SNES for me.

Castlevania IV wins it for me, I could play that game forever. It's a toss-up on the Contras (not my favorite series) and I just barely like the Genesis TMNT better than the SNES version. It seems like I take less cheap hits in that one, but the SNES TMNT has better variety, so I could flip a coin and either way I win.
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 04-24-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hyperstone Heist looks pretty good. I'm gonna have to check this one out.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not entirely sure if this comparison is fair, as the two CVs and the two Contras take different approaches to franchise innovations.

Hyperstone Heist, though, basically is a "Best of TMNT Arcade-style" game which, while solid and very good, is too directly derivative from Turtles in Time to not warrant the comparison... and it's also lacking throw-the-foot-soldiers-at-the-screen, which was a great TiT Polish.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Castlevania Bloodlines is amazing and a completely unique design every single level, but Super Castlevania 4 is still the overall better game. It had an overall much better polish to it, great level design without the need for gameplay variations, with graphics, sound, and music being better in every category.

As for Contra. I've never liked Hard Corps for the reason that I've only once passed stage one and have never been past stage two. To me it's just too cheap of a game. Contra 3 I've always thought of as a good game as it's difficult without being too cheap.

As for TMNT. Don't really care too much. I own Hyperstone Heist, but overall I think both games are good.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Contra and Castlevania win it for the SNES for me. Two games that are no end of fun. I was not a fan of the timeline in Bloodlines.
    SO not the Drama.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Genesis wins for me based mainly on Contra. Both Castlevania games are great, and yet they both have their flaws. I like Bloodlines a little more, but not by much. TMNT Hyperstone Heist is kind of hard to rate, because a lot of it is recycled. But, it feels a lot tighter than TMNT IV overall. I'd call that one a push. Contra Hard Corps, though, kicks ass. Contra 3 is a good game and all, but it definitely feels like a typical run and gun, and the overhead levels didn't do much for me. Contra Hard Corps is all over the place, in a good way. Crazy variety in the level design there. Plus the multiple characters and branching paths add even more variety.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Genesis wins 2 to 1 for me. Contra Hard Corps is way, way better and more interesting than Contra 3. Castlevania Bloodlines, I find is a lot more fun and memorable than Castlevania IV, which I always found pretty dull and really thought of it as as the low point of the entire franchise (not counting that terrible fighting game ). Turtles in Time however smokes Hyperstone Heist which just feels like they didn't put any effort into. It's not that HH is terrible, it's just that it feels like a tech demo for the SNES game.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Contra Hard Corps smokes them all graphically. It's one of the more impressive Genesis/SNES games out there. I could take all three Genny titles or Contra and Castlevania on Genesis and Turtles in Time on SNES. I like Contra III and Castlevania IV on SNES, but never fell in love with 'em like other people did.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bloodlines is one of my favorite Castlevania games - not that I dont like IV, but bloodlines is better for me. Contra hard corps is hard as hell, but overall I like the feel of the game more than 3. HH is a great game - but..yes I give the edge to turtles in time.
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Castlevania Bloodlines wins on this alone, imo.

Both are great games. I like the classic gameplay of Castlevania IV, but also love the branching paths, multiple characters and color pallet of Bloodlines.

Contra Hard Corps is a phenomenal showcase for the Genesis, but for me its too hard and that kills some of the fun. I'll take Contra III over it any day.

Genesis takes the cake here as well. Sure it was missing the Foot Soldiers being thrown into the screen, but it was just as fun as the Snes version and sports one of the best Genesis sound drivers out there, complete with orchestral hits sampling etc.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have to go with the Genesis on this one. Contra III and Castlevania IV are outstanding games, and a must-have in a SNES library, but Hard Corps and Bloodlines are far more fun and show much more creativity. As for the TMNT games, I like them both the same.
    Contra: Hard Corps and Castlevania: Bloodlines are my favourite games in their respective series, and despite the inferior graphics and sound processor, I much prefer the visual style and effects along with the music in both games, not to mention they're more fun (IMHO).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seems like alot of love for castelvania 4 and contra 3. And understandably so.
    Both games were great but I just can't love them like there genesis cousins.

Hardcorps whoops my butt regularly but I come back for more. Bloodlines just seems so much faster paced.

The turtles games is the only one that came close to leaning in the snes direction. I'm not sure what it is but it seemed more refined.
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Unfortunately the only ones in that list I can compare are the Castlevania titles (by the way would someone mind bumping my Contra and Ghosts n' Goblins topics so I can post in them without having to doublepost? Thanks)

As I said in the Castlevania topic, I feel like Bloodlines is better than CV4. My biggest problem with Super Castlevania IV is just that the game goes on too long and I feel like the levels get repetitive. I mean yeah there's the rotating room and the twirly background, but those are literally the same stage. Every other stage... I swear I see the same designs and setpieces all over again.

Bloodlines only has six levels, but it feels like each one does something new, and the bosses are more interesting to fight.

I want to beat both on Expert mode though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have all six of those games and Contra 3 is the only one I haven't played yet. But I'd still give my vote to the Genesis for two reasons. First, I prefer The Hyperstone Heist to Turtles in Time. And second, I beat Castlevania IV but never really liked it. The only thing I enjoyed about it was swinging from things with my whip. I call that my Indiana Jones complex.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Contra 3 has some pretty graphics, but overall the game is only average IMO (with a few key good points). It is what it is - an early SNES game.
    Hard Corps is a great run 'n gun action game, chalk full of nice effects and explosions to boot. But the graphics themselves are kind of ugly. They fall short (even for a Genesis game) IMO. It's very low shading with lots of contrast - like an NES game. After getting over the flashy-ness of Hard Corps, the color choices start to bother me and so I don't care to really play it anymore. That and the over modulation in the FM instruments is grating on my nerves after awhile. As much as I don't care for the SNES one, I rather pickup and play that for 10-20 minutes or so over Hard Corps.

SCIV is a pretty looking game with an incredible sound track, but the game is slow and the animation is dead minimal (even down to 2 frame animations for enemies). Bloodlines are average at best and below average in a lot of areas. This annoys me because the game came out late in the Genesis life and could have looked soo much better. That game itself is OK, but good amount of the bosses are lame. I could have overlooked the graphics is the game design itself was of Konami's level of quality they normally are known for. Overall it's a let down of a Castlevania game, so the edge goes to the slower paced SCIV.

I haven't played much of either TMNT games on the SNES or Genesis, and from what I have played - both seemed equally fun (throwing the enemy at the screen is only cool at first, else it's gimmicky and not really needed IMO).

The SNES gets the slight edge in this case (though overall I'd probably pick the Genesis).

Try not to let nostalgia get you and try be impartial.
    That's about as absurd as trying to pick a system based on 3 games for each system. There's no way this thread can (or should) be taken seriously.
    Tom: That third elephant is so elusive, ya know.
    NFG: Elephants are so unpredictable.
    Tom: Especially in groups of three.
    NFG: Two pairs of three, no less.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Castlevania IV: 1991
    Castlevania Bloodlines: 1994
    Contra III: 1992
    Contra Hard Corps: 1994
    Turtles in Time: 1992
    Hyperstone Heist: 1992

Genesis owners got a treat in the mid-90s with Hard Corp and Bloodlines, but it's not fair to compare simply because the Genesis games came out later. If It's the start of 1993, what would I go for based on these selections? Obviously the SNES since even if Hyperstone Heist were the better game, until 1994 there was no Bloodlines or Hard Corps.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Genesis wins for me on nothing other than me favoring some of these games.

Contra 3 Vs. Contra: Hard Corps - Contra: Hard Corps is a personal favorite of mine

Castlevania 4 Vs. Castlevania: Bloodlines - Bloodlines is yet again a personal favorite of mine

TMNT: Turtles in Time Vs. TMNT: Hyperstone Heist - SNES beats Genesis for me in this one. I love Turtles in Time

So for me:
    SNES - 1
    Genesis - 3

Genesis wins in this comparison in my eyes

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

SNES all the way. Contra III is a masterpiece of action design. TMNT is a wonderful port that's tighter than the arcade game. Castlevania IV... okay, I'll concede to Bloodlines. I love the deeper sense of atmosphere because of the limited palette. It's a great work around to the restrictions.

I like Hard Corps but the level design doesn't do it for me, and I don't care for the multiple character idea. I guess Contra Force left a bad taste. Hyperstone Heist always feels lazy to me. Competent, sure, but when the Turtles are able to walk on water in the sewer, it's pathetic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SNES

Castvania and Contra do it for me. The Turtles games are pretty interchangeable as far as I'm concerned. No advantage to either console.