Thread: Genesis vs snes based on 6 games.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hyperstone Heist looks pretty good. I'm gonna have to check this one out.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not entirely sure if this comparison is fair, as the two CVs and the two Contras take different approaches to franchise innovations.

Hyperstone Heist, though, basically is a "Best of TMNT Arcade-style" game which, while solid and very good, is too directly derivative from Turtles in Time to not warrant the comparison... and it's also lacking throw-the-foot-soldiers-at-the-screen, which was a great TiT Polish.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Castlevania Bloodlines is amazing and a completely unique design every single level, but Super Castlevania 4 is still the overall better game. It had an overall much better polish to it, great level design without the need for gameplay variations, with graphics, sound, and music being better in every category.

As for Contra. I've never liked Hard Corps for the reason that I've only once passed stage one and have never been past stage two. To me it's just too cheap of a game. Contra 3 I've always thought of as a good game as it's difficult without being too cheap.

As for TMNT. Don't really care too much. I own Hyperstone Heist, but overall I think both games are good.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Contra and Castlevania win it for the SNES for me. Two games that are no end of fun. I was not a fan of the timeline in Bloodlines.
    SO not the Drama.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Genesis wins for me based mainly on Contra. Both Castlevania games are great, and yet they both have their flaws. I like Bloodlines a little more, but not by much. TMNT Hyperstone Heist is kind of hard to rate, because a lot of it is recycled. But, it feels a lot tighter than TMNT IV overall. I'd call that one a push. Contra Hard Corps, though, kicks ass. Contra 3 is a good game and all, but it definitely feels like a typical run and gun, and the overhead levels didn't do much for me. Contra Hard Corps is all over the place, in a good way. Crazy variety in the level design there. Plus the multiple characters and branching paths add even more variety.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Genesis wins 2 to 1 for me. Contra Hard Corps is way, way better and more interesting than Contra 3. Castlevania Bloodlines, I find is a lot more fun and memorable than Castlevania IV, which I always found pretty dull and really thought of it as as the low point of the entire franchise (not counting that terrible fighting game ). Turtles in Time however smokes Hyperstone Heist which just feels like they didn't put any effort into. It's not that HH is terrible, it's just that it feels like a tech demo for the SNES game.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Contra Hard Corps smokes them all graphically. It's one of the more impressive Genesis/SNES games out there. I could take all three Genny titles or Contra and Castlevania on Genesis and Turtles in Time on SNES. I like Contra III and Castlevania IV on SNES, but never fell in love with 'em like other people did.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com