Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are NES carts always so dirty?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why are NES carts always so dirty?

I mean, what's wrong with people?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They store their NES contraband in the ground, or so it seems. I know what you're saying.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ugh, I feel you on that. I got what I thought was a pretty good deal on an advante, four score, satellite, and a few games, and they were all dirty or rusty. And it's not just NES carts, either! I received a 7800 lot, and the console, joysticks, games, and even the box it was shipped in all reeked of cigarette smoke. Gross.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Old stuff gets relegated to the garage, basement, or attic for alot of people. These places are not well climate controlled, most of the time. Dust piles on then gets wet, games get dumped in boxes with stuff they shouldn't be stored with, containers get spilled on there. Then there are just accidents, spilling a soda on the coffee table where the games are stacked up or whatever. After all, I have an NES cart that was leaking... something. So I know what you mean.

Oh yeah, and americans treat their belongings like shit in general. There's always that.

Atari carts are the ones that get me. The labels, sheesh! They all look like they were soaked in grease.
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 04-23-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stalepie View Post
    The thing is, back when the NES first came out, no one thought to keep their boxes and manuals because they didn't think they would be worth anything. The same goes for the condition of cartridges. As children, all they thought of was playing it and not keeping it in the best condition.
    If that doesn't answer your question then completely disregard everything I just said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Check out the houses a lot of people live in. People be dirty, yo.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stalepie View Post

Because they're 30 years old and were generally played with by kids.

Add the fact that many have been stored for 10-20 years in a damp basement or attic before being given to the Goodwill or hrown in boxes and sold at tag sales or flea markets.

Originally nobody thought that some of them would be valuable collector items.

Oh yeah, and americans treat their belongings like shit in general. There's always that.
    Nice generalizing there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tabor62 View Post
    The thing is, back when the NES first came out, no one thought to keep their boxes and manuals because they didn't think they would be worth anything. The same goes for the condition of cartridges. As children, all they thought of was playing it and not keeping it in the best condition.
    I always kept boxes and manuals... not because I ever thought they'd have "value". Conversely, why would you throw out something that you or your parents just paid money for? Something that explained how to play the game if you got stuck, and featured cool cover art in many cases? Am I alone/insane on this one?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's how popular they were. The most popular system of any time has the dirtiest carts. They get passed around the most, sold for the lowest prices.

Game Tape Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jack Crow 2004
    PSN
    JackCrow2004

The worst is when there are droppings on or in them. G-d I hate cleaning that stuff. Good news is the stuff is really resilient and generally cleans up well. At least dirty=profit.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duke.Togo View Post
    The worst is when there are droppings on or in them. G-d I hate cleaning that stuff. Good news is the stuff is really resilient and generally cleans up well. At least dirty=profit.
    You mean you buy a game that is only in "acceptable" condition and then shine it up and it's now in "very good" condition? (I was wondering about that myself, doing that).

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ccovell View Post
    I always kept boxes and manuals... not because I ever thought they'd have "value". Conversely, why would you throw out something that you or your parents just paid money for? Something that explained how to play the game if you got stuck, and featured cool cover art in many cases? Am I alone/insane on this one?
    Not that I disagree, but did you really keep every bit of packaging of everything your parents or yourself bought? I mean, it's easy to understand why people would throw out boxes. Cool cover art or not, people see it just as disposable packaging. I mean, even the companies publishing the games did. Just look at how Super Nintendo boxes are marked as recyclable. I know that's what I did. I broke the boxes down right away and shoved them in my bag of paper waiting to go to the recycle bin outside. Sure, I regret that now, but I wasn't a "collector" then. I bought the games to play them. I kept the manuals because they contained useful information that I may want to reference from time to time, and I even kept the plastic baggie or cover because that kept the game clean, but the box, cardboard tray, assorted generic inserts, etc. all got tossed, being viewed just as useless as the plastic wrap that covered the box.

Go figure that less than 10 years later I would even try to preserve the plastic wrap on boxed games by using a knife to cut it open at the flap, leaving the rest of the plastic intact.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wait, some of you answer this: Are Atari carts just as dirty? I'm a little too young to know.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm my copy of Star Luster doesn't have the least bit of luster to it. It's covered in grime. It's going to take 45 minutes to clean this one. And yet my two Famicom carts of Spelunker are relatively clean...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On one of my Spelunker carts the guy (kid? ) poked a deep hole into the forehead of the pink demon on the cover. Like he stabbed it with a ball point pen or something. Must have hated him.

Reminds me of this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170598662718...84.m1438.l2649

Someone hated Mike Tyson! haha

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ccovell View Post
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Not that I disagree, but did you really keep every bit of packaging of everything your parents or yourself bought?
    Yeah, pretty much. I don't know if he did, but I always kept everything. Now, I wasn't the best when I was young at storing it all, or keeping it in pristine condition, but I usually held onto everything. I think it started with The Transformers' boxes. They were just so damn cool to me. I felt like I had "more" toy by having the boxes. They had these cool invisible stat graphs that you could use a clear red piece of celluloid to view. There was no way I was throwing that out.

Go figure that less than 10 years later I would even try to preserve the plastic wrap on boxed games by using a knife to cut it open at the flap, leaving the rest of the plastic intact.
    I do that as well.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 04-24-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

As others have stated I believe this issue to be due to people generally being piggy. Children are a factor of course a huge one. Age is an issue and not everyone cherishes these things like we do. Even gamers for the most part don't care about things like packaging or long term care of consoles.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, I wouldn't automatically associate throwing away packaging with dirty games. I'm sure plenty of complete NES games still need a good cleaning, and people can be clean and keep their games in good working order even if they did throw away all of the packaging. I mean, all of my childhood games that I bought new have stayed perfectly clean, even though I threw away boxes, because I kept the plastic bags/sleeves, and even if someone threw away those too, you can store completely loose carts in a drawer or tub or whatever and keep them perfect.

Also, from the perspective of mainstream society, keeping every bit of packaging could be viewed as untidy, akin to hoarding.

Of course, it is fair to say that people who treat their games like shit probably would discard or destroy the packaging too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

I enjoy buying games off eBay "Like New" condition from "Child-free" homes that show up scratched to hell. "What the fuck? Did you use the thing as a coaster or for trap shooting?"

Too many people don't value what they own or place different values on things. That's why you see great cars parked in front of shitty houses. At least it's that way in parts of St.Paul.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nice generalizing there.
    Am I alone on this one?

Maybe it's just because I'm so anal about my own belongings. My NES games that I've had since I was a kid still look fresh from the box. Walking into a Gamestop is an experience in horror for me; just look how many brand new games have a generic box! How does this happen? Of course we collectors take good care of our stuff, but there is a whole lot of 'everyone else' out there using loose music CDs as the floormat in their car, or balancing an uneven Christmas tree stand on an Xbox (wish I had taken a picture of that one).

I used to shop at this japanese second-hand shop in Little Tokyo. They specialized in imported, former-rental music CDs and videogames (Super Famicom through Playstation 2). I was always amazed when I'd buy a CD that was a previous rental, and it had nary a scratch on it. Their loose Super Famicom games had no label damage, and many of them still had the box, in good condition! Now granted, this is just my experience and perhaps I generalize too much. I've watched quite a few youtube videos of second-hand shopping in japanese electronics stores and the quality far exceeds the finds here. Surely kids there play games too, but I didn't see the kind of filth overall that games here suffer through. I'm not just talking Super Potato, but more generalized stores like the Super Hard Off chain which carries everything under the sun. I had heard others generalize that in japan they tend to take better care of their stuff, and from what I've seen, it appears to be so. Hence where I derive my general idea of how people here in America treat their stuff.

Again, yeah, probably generalizing and also relying on anecdotes. I guess that's just how I see it.
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 04-24-2012 at 04:57 AM.