Thread: The Grey Elephant's Curse. Russian VG Nerd - About Famicom Pirating Era

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Grey Elephant's Curse. Russian VG Nerd - About Famicom Pirating Era

A nice homemade documentary about the Russian Dendy famiclone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDCW_hXrU1E

Google's machine translation for captions actually works well. To turn them on, click the "CC" button and then "transcribe audio" and "English." You may have to hit "Turn Captions On" first.

Another good documentary, this time on the shooter craze of the 80s and 90s, from France is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFNzq...eature=related

"Japón: Historia de los Shoot 'em Up (Documental Sub. Esp)."

The Spanish to English translates well. Sorry if this is a nuisance to anyone to see, as I have posted this link elsewhere, but I thought it was nice to see such a documentary. If it has been posted here before I apologise.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also as a follow-up to the Russian one, here is a Russian video game show from the early to mid 90s which may be of interest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwlrq...feature=relmfu

"Мир "

I am not sure if the captioning system works on it.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I've only seen the first few minutes so far and it seems interesting so far! Complaining about Dr. Mario being impossible without the screen in color as all the pills look the same was hilarious. I wonder what else is shown; this is a long video. I speak Russian so I can understand the filmmaker well enough.

EDIT: This really is pretty funny. He does a good job explaining the situation over there and demonstrates how awful things are thanks to this Chinese shit he was used to seeing in stores and everywhere else when he was younger.
    Last edited by FoxNtd; 04-25-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FoxNtd View Post
    I've only seen the first few minutes so far and it seems interesting so far! Complaining about Dr. Mario being impossible without the screen in color as all the pills look the same was hilarious. I wonder what else is shown; this is a long video. I speak Russian so I can understand the filmmaker well enough.

EDIT: This really is pretty funny. He does a good job explaining the situation over there and demonstrates how awful things are thanks to this Chinese shit he was used to seeing in stores and everywhere else when he was younger.
    Yeah! I've been finding it pretty interesting because I was just bidding on some carts from Poland (in my crazy mind, a pirate cart from Poland or Russia is just as interesting as the real thing and saves money! But they look like the ones he is showing in this video, which he specifically lists as being popular in Russia, like the Dragon Co. version of Felix the Cat, and Jungle Book, Prince of Persia (or "prince persia" as he says it), etc. So maybe it was the same market. I'll ask.

anyway, I thought it'd be interesting to people here as I don't think Russia / Eastern Europe is an often explored area in video game collecting. As far as I know. And the subtitles work well enough.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

That Russian documentary was pretty long, but I found it fascinating. It's not only interesting how pirates were accepted as the norm but how some things like fraudulent Tips & Tricks books were the same in either part of the globe. I also found the Chip and Dale 3 cover with the guerilla Fivel photo hack hilarious. I would love to own a copy of that cart just for the amazingly awful artwork.