Well...I am happy to report that after a bit of research, I have discovered the source of all the Earthbound stupidity out there. As we all know...Earthbound is the number 1 game for ebay and price idiocy...something that makes absolutely no sense given the cart is as common as dirt. But all the prick morons and lemmings aside...I have come upon some startling evidence that may explain the beginnings of the Earthbound stupidity.

Once again, I was on videogamepricecharts looking at numbers and stats. And I pulled up Earthbound's ebay price history. It is shown below.

As can be seen from the image, February 2008 was the last month in which any sense of normalcy or sanity prevailed. After that date, something happened that caused all the idiots out there to go into a frenzy.

Well...determined to get to the bottom of this...I began to investigate what happened in March 2008 that triggered this.

Ladies and gentlemen, I can now state unequivocally, that I have found the origins of the Earthbound craze.
In March 2008, a cosmic burst of such proportions occurred that it became farthest object visible to the naked eye. Specifically, GRB 080319B let out remarkable gamma-ray burst of such magnitude, that even though it occurred at a distance of 2.9 million light years...it was still visible to the the naked eye. Here is the link from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRB_080319B

So that, ladies and gentlemen, is what happened to Earthbound. It is the source and cause of all the Earthbound madness...and explains every single thing that happened to its price starting from March 2008.

The riddle has been solved...the mystery is no more. We can all rest in peace knowing that the culprit was GRB 080319B and happened 2.9 million light years away.

thank you.