Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hdtvs and gaming

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Ok, im stuck on what tv to get. Thinking of getting the Seiki SC-402TT 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV - Black cause its a good price and has s-video. Or I can get a more mordern one and get a new switch box (which I planned to anyhow) with component, s-video, etc, and jack everything through there if there's only one set of plugs (and dvd player). Any other suggestions on tvs, or ones with a "game mode"?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you seek a TV for the systems you mention in the OP (snes, n64, etc), basically anything PS2 or earlier, then you shouldn't be getting an LCD. Just find a good, used Sony CRT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Looking for something that would look decently mainly for PS2 (and up when the time comes), n64 and dreamcast. Other systems I can deal with later. Ok let's make this simple for some people, what's a good 40" lcd that has a game mode option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It has been a while since I researched LCDs, but I would just go to google and type LCD TV review game mode and see what popped up. What you are really looking for is stats on how much lag the LCD set introduces, you want that to be as low as possible.

As for the PS2 looking decent, God help you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

thanks! Is "game mode" really all it's cracked up to be, or is adjusting settings yourself the way to go?
    (talking in general)
    Last edited by kainemaxwell; 05-14-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    As for the PS2 looking decent, God help you.
    Ah yes. Multiple supported resolutions inside PS2, at 50hz or 60hz for importers... *sigh*
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kainemaxwell View Post
    thanks! Is "game mode" really all it's cracked up to be, or is adjusting settings yourself the way to go?
    (talking in general)
    You can do both. After you've selected the model or models you're interested search for reviews. CNET in particular has a great method of reviewing TVs, and the AVS Forums are a good place to check too.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

(talking in general)
    I do both, depending on the game. For RPGs I don't bother with any setting changes, for a quick action game I turn on game mode. If I wanted some of the image enhancing features without the lag I'd turn off clearframe. CNET and AVS is where I researched this set before buying it, but what you really want is to find out how much lag the screen creates with all settings on and all settings off and see if you can live with that.

The Toshiba set I have had reviews online from gamers who claimed they could play fast action games with no problem. I also tested another cheaper set with my Nomad and games like Sonic and Street Fighter II before accepting that whatever lag in the input might be in LCDs is minimal on the good sets. If you get a model in mind and can find it in a store locally you might bring a game console with you and see if they will let you test it first. Don't feel obliged to buy it there if they do, just give it a good run in a fast paced platformer, racer, or fighting game not made by Namco.

Also keep in mind that most popular games from the PS2 on depend on analog stick deadzones and controller lag to maintain the graphics they are displaying. If what you want to play predominantly is on the Playstation consoles or the Xbox, and you aren't into niche action titles like Golden Axe Beast Rider, then the lag introduced by HDTVs is miniscule compared to the consoles themselves.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...o_.php?print=1
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...onsiveness.php

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...gainst-latency
    Last edited by sheath; 05-15-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

right now here's the 2 i'm most interested in:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...UNG-_-89102573
    http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-40RV52...dp_ob_title_ce

Took a few length measurements at work of a few of the tvs so I can judge how they'll look on the tv stand/entertainment center I have (31 in length)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

right now here's the 2 i'm most interested in:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...UNG-_-89102573
    http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-40RV52...dp_ob_title_ce

Took a few length measurements at work of a few of the tvs so I can judge how they'll look on the tv stand/entertainment center I have (31 in length)
    I'd go with the Toshiba if for no other reason than I know its gaming mode works and Toshiba TVs are top notch. Samsung has come a long way, but I'd take a Toshiba or a Phillips or LG over them still. The price being in favor of the Toshiba would be a deal sealer for me. If you can find one with a 120Hz mode get that instead, you'll be shocked at how much better movies and TV shows look at that rate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I'd take a Samsung over any of those brands, ESPECIALLY Toshiba.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've noticed a lot of ire popping up against Toshiba in the last year or so. What is that all about, has their product quality dropped? Everything I have owned from them has lasted well past anything Sony makes, decades I mean. Seeing Toshiba fall from that status would be as bad to me as seeing Yamaha start to make consumable electronics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I'd go with the Toshiba if for no other reason than I know its gaming mode works and Toshiba TVs are top notch. Samsung has come a long way, but I'd take a Toshiba or a Phillips or LG over them still. The price being in favor of the Toshiba would be a deal sealer for me. If you can find one with a 120Hz mode get that instead, you'll be shocked at how much better movies and TV shows look at that rate.
    you mean like this?
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40D6.../dp/B004SHKELG

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've noticed a lot of ire popping up against Toshiba in the last year or so. What is that all about, has their product quality dropped? Everything I have owned from them has lasted well past anything Sony makes, decades I mean. Seeing Toshiba fall from that status would be as bad to me as seeing Yamaha start to make consumable electronics.

I don't know about the last year, but I've never been a supporter of Toshiba. They don't do anything particularly well IMO. Not saying that they aren't decent, but with comparable Samsung displays being priced about the same, I see no reason to bother.

Sony's LCD/Plasma boxes aren't bad, but I wouldn't put any on my list of must-haves, that's for sure. They made the best CRTs and their DLPs are nice.

Samsung makes an amazing LCD. Hell, most Apple displays are stuffed with Samsung LCDs. I don't have much of an opinion on anything else these Samsung makes, but their LCDs are pretty much top-notch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That looks alright to me. I'd just look for some reviews online to see if people are using it to play fast paced games. I'd also check newegg reviews to see about reliability issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Again, I'd stress reading reviews at places like CNET and AVS Forums. CNET in particular has specific review criteria and tools to measure television performance. User reviews can be helpful too, but I wouldn't take them as gospel. Hell, I wouldn't take CNET's review as the final word either. And as others have already mentioned, if you can go to a store and hook up a console do that too. I did that when I bought my CRT HDTV years ago.

One last thing, while we all have brands we prefer, it's always worth reading reviews for the specific model you're interested in. For instance, Panasonic is my go-to brand for high-end televisions, but they had significant issues with their flagship plasmas in 2009. I could have really fucked someone by blindly recommending their brand that year. Some Samsungs are better than some Toshibas, and vice versa. Just do your research.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I measured the length of my tv entertainment center/stand and the length of a 40" tv and took some cardboard to visualize how it would look. Here's a result. I may have to go slightly smaller. lol
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	5163

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

LCDs stand on a base in the center, I've seen lots of people put them on a stand smaller than the set itself. It doesn't hurt anything. I had to expand my entertainment cabinet when I upgraded from a 32" CRT to my old 40" Toshiba RPTV, but since the whole thing is homemade from stained pine board it was only a matter of changing out four boards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

LCDs stand on a base in the center, I've seen lots of people put them on a stand smaller than the set itself. It doesn't hurt anything. I had to expand my entertainment cabinet when I upgraded from a 32" CRT to my old 40" Toshiba RPTV, but since the whole thing is homemade from stained pine board it was only a matter of changing out four boards.
    I know they're on a stand, I'm really asking for opinions now if with a 40 incher on my current entertainment center with its stand, if it would look good, or be too wide and overpowering.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I started this project to demonstrate my earlier statement, but the results surprised me. I might need to adjust the way I game nowadays, at least on the classic consoles.