Thread: OK,most people don't like resurface discs but what about disc rot? real, fake, sucks!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0) PROTOTYPE's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question OK,most people don't like resurface discs but what about disc rot? real, fake, sucks!

I have these tiny holes on Maybe 5 to 10 ps1 discs.The worst one is where it made the game disc skip was mega man legends 2 and its not a cheap game. Note: The game disc is flawless and I don't want to sell it to stick somebody else with it like it happen to me.How do you guys feel on Disc rot? selling them, buying them, believing it does not exists?
    If it's not fun? Your not really playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Humor me. Pics of the PS1 games with light coming through them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Disc/Laser rot is something of a misnomer. Delamination is the only real form of deterioration that you would need to be concerned about with PS1 discs. If delamination is the issue, then don't expect to observe it with the naked eye.

If you have another PS1 or PS2, then try the disc in another system first. Later gen games can sometimes cause issues in older models consoles. If not, try and pop it in your PC and burn a copy. If your computer successfully makes the dup, then it's probably not unreadable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard the term "disc rot" used and never understood its use. I have had a couple game discs (Dreamcast, Gamecube) over the years that there was a point in the data layer where light would shine through if held up to a lamp. What caused it, I don't know because I bought the games that way, unfortunately.

Somewhere, I have been told that writing on CD-R discs with a Sharpie marker is bad because supposedly the chemicals in the marker ink eat through the disc over a period of years. True or not, I do not know.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    Somewhere, I have been told that writing on CD-R discs with a Sharpie marker is bad because supposedly the chemicals in the marker ink eat through the disc over a period of years. True or not, I do not know.
    This is true, the solvents in some markers could eventually affect the dye layer. It's best to use markers specifically designed for CDs. I don't have any so I just leave discs unlabeled, I label the case they're stored in. Also don't use adhesive labels on discs as they can affect the balance of the disc.

What a lot of people don't seem to understand is that different types of discs are manufactured differently. CDs, DVDs, CD-Rs, and DVD-Rs are all made differently and have different layers. The discs can fail in different ways as they have different weaknesses. I have come across Sega CD and PC games that have pinholes in them, if the holes are past the data then the discs can still be playable. It could be caused by manufacturing problems or with poor storage, something has to penetrate the top coat/layer and cause the reflective layer to flake off or oxidize.

As for how I feel about disc rot, I avoid buying discs if I notice pinholes in them. I also tend to avoid discs if I notice them starting to discolour in the reflective layer, it could mean that the reflective layer is starting to oxidize and will become unreadable. I'd rather not risk it unless it's something really valuable.

Insert Coin (Level 0) PROTOTYPE's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.rfgeneration.com/news/Dis...uyers-1337.php This is how I've learn about it and my discs look like this too.Do I believe in it? some..
    If it's not fun? Your not really playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    This is true, the solvents in some markers could eventually affect the dye layer.
    The solvents should have evaporated long before they could have caused any damage.