Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK,most people don't like resurface discs but what about disc rot? real, fake, sucks!

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How scratched up is the disc that has tiny holes on top of it? chances are the game wasnt taken care of, left out of its case, etc. If the game was kept minty fresh as soon as its opened, always returned to its case, not scratched at all, then that wouldnt be a problem.

Ive only ever experienced disc rot with CD-Rs, it happens quick with them, especially if you leave the cd in your car, changing elements, etc...always ruins CD-Rs, Ive even had marker eat through them before.

As for cold pressed discs, never seen any rot, yet.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    Ive only ever experienced disc rot with CD-Rs, it happens quick with them, especially if you leave the cd in your car, changing elements, etc...always ruins CD-Rs, Ive even had marker eat through them before.
    I've had that with DVD-RWs, right after taking them new from the spindle without ever using them before. It's a manufacturing problem, but it doesn't always seem to affect how well they work. These were with Verbatim discs which are literally the best quality discs you can buy.

Good to know about the marker being confirmed to cause damage, it's not just a myth.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I've had that with DVD-RWs, right after taking them new from the spindle without ever using them before. It's a manufacturing problem, but it doesn't always seem to affect how well they work. These were with Verbatim discs which are literally the best quality discs you can buy.

Good to know about the marker being confirmed to cause damage, it's not just a myth.
    Jeez, thats scary, I do a lot of burning, thankfully never with re-writables though as Ive heard some terror stories about data loss.

Anyway, Ill see if I can find one of the marker eaten CDRs and Ill post a pic, I know I saved one....Especially the blank white surface CD-R and DVD-Rs, the ink begins to rot and leak out leaving a brown ring around wherever the writing is...
    Last edited by Parodius Duh!; 05-25-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't even get the point of re-writable discs at this point. Recordable media is beyond dirt cheap, and hard drives aren't exactly expensive. It made sense when discs still cost 5 or so bucks a pop.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    Jeez, thats scary, I do a lot of burning, thankfully never with re-writables though as Ive heard some terror stories about data loss.

Anyway, Ill see if I can find one of the marker eaten CDRs and Ill post a pic, I know I saved one....Especially the blank white surface CD-R and DVD-Rs, the ink begins to rot and leak out leaving a brown ring around wherever the writing is...
    If you can find the CD-Rs I'd like to see pics, it would be neat to see what it looks like.

I do have a CD-R from high school that I should check out again to see if it still works, I should really back up those files before the disc goes bad. It's not really a good company disc either but I was given it by a friend to back stuff up at school. There were only a few new computers that even had burners. This was before thumb drives started to take hold and it was the only way to save up all those files.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    I don't even get the point of re-writable discs at this point. Recordable media is beyond dirt cheap, and hard drives aren't exactly expensive. It made sense when discs still cost 5 or so bucks a pop.
    I use re-writables for stuff I don't want to keep long term, rather than burn a disc and just throw it out a few days later. I've been using the same three DVD-RWs for almost two years and they're still working fine. I bought a spindle of 30 discs and so far sold off 15 of them to help recoup some of the cost, I don't need many of them but that was the smallest size of Verbatim I could find reasonably priced. They're good for bringing media over to friends places for DVD players, I also went with DVD-RWs over DVD+RWs to ensure better compatibility in case I came across older players.

I did buy a spindle of Verbatim DVD-Rs too but I haven't used any yet, I just figured it would be better to buy them now in case the quality tanks in a few years like what happened with Sony discs. Verbatims aren't exactly that cheap, at least they're not as cheap in Canada compared to the US.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer a jump drive or iPod for those sorts of situations personally. Plus, if I want to retrieve data from the place that I'm taking the jump drive/iPod, I can do so much more easily than having to re-write a disc, if that's even possible at my destination.