Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: E3 2012 apathy

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default E3 2012 apathy

Anyone else just not caring about E3 this year? In past years I was excited for 5 hours of new game coverage on my TV. This year I'm just not feeling it. I'll probably watch the Microsoft Conference in vein hoping for a new IP for my system of Choice But overall MEH.

I don't think Sony has anything that's going to make me run out and Buy a Vita RIGHT F'N NOW (as opposed to EVENTUALLY) I don't think the Wii U is going to shatter the earth and I don't think Nintendo is going to win me over on the 3DS.

SO MEH

I do still want a VITA that thing is comfy to hold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I always find that my initial feelings never match what is actually shown or announced.

Mostly I get overexcited about things announced and the games/systems end up being overhyped

I have low expectations this year about E3. I mostly wish that there would be a significant console price drop for the Xbox 360 and PS3. Instead, I am going to hear both probably add more crap to the base package that I dont want. Currently just dont have alot of faith that the Big three are moving in the right direction.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

E3 has become increasingly irrelevant over the years, and my interest has subsided.
    I used to follow it religiously, and wanted desperately to attend one year, but now I'm content to read summaries of the keynotes the day after and have other noteworthy news filter down to me through forums and such.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

E3 represents the absolute worst of the hype machine. I buy games that sound cool to me. All I need is a brief description and maybe some screenshots, (or video if I'm lucky). All this promotion and hype is completely lost on me. It won't get me to buy a game.

I would assume that most people responding in this thread feel something similar about it. We're just not the target audience for it.

All this hype is to get people to buy games and systems who wouldn't normally do so (this is why the wii was so successful). It's not for us. We're better off ignoring it.

On a side note, I can't even tolerate watching stuff about gaming on g4. It's like they're trying to sell games to sports fans.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.125736,-118.158425

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I honestly don't think I've ever cared about E3. Sometimes I hope for an announcement regarding a specific game, but I couldn't care less about the general press conferences from the hardware publishers and the like.

I did savor every bit of news from Space World once upon a time, back when I was hyped up about the Nintendo 64 and wanted to hear every snippet of news related to it. I also love reading old coverage of CES back in the '80s and '90s. I probably take more interest in these shows as a slice of game history than when they're current and talking about the future.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm excited about hearing about the Wii U, honestly. I'm probably more hyped about that than I should be. It's about the only thing I'm looking forward to, however.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I'm excited about hearing about the Wii U, honestly. I'm probably more hyped about that than I should be. It's about the only thing I'm looking forward to, however.
    Yeah I could really give two shits about Nintendo. Nintendo lost me when they stopped releasing fun games in favor of the same shit every year.

Now unless it's Mario, Zelda, Metriod or Kirby Nintendo doesn't care.

So I don't care either.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I really only care about Nintendo's E3, since they never announce anything important at any other time.

Releasing the same thing over and over again is an industry problem, not just Nintendo. Too many sequels, but that's what people want. Are there any titles announced to be at E3 that aren't sequels? At least Nintendo isn't as bad as EA, Activision or Capcom.

I do like that bad E3 conferences can kill stupid ideas before people have to deal with them. When was the last time we saw Ubisoft's laser tag thing or the Wii Vitality Sensor? Thankfully, several E3s ago.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post

Releasing the same thing over and over again is an industry problem, not just Nintendo. Too many sequels, but that's what people want.
    Well that's why I'm all over Lolipop Chainsaw It's a new IP and it looks awesome!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    I really only care about Nintendo's E3, since they never announce anything important at any other time.

Releasing the same thing over and over again is an industry problem, not just Nintendo. Too many sequels, but that's what people want. Are there any titles announced to be at E3 that aren't sequels? At least Nintendo isn't as bad as EA, Activision or Capcom.

I do like that bad E3 conferences can kill stupid ideas before people have to deal with them. When was the last time we saw Ubisoft's laser tag thing or the Wii Vitality Sensor? Thankfully, several E3s ago.
    Ubisoft's Battle Tag was released and there is quite a bit of niche use of it among laser tag enthusiasts. I have one and it's pretty amazing.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocade Fantasia View Post
    Well that's why I'm all over Lolipop Chainsaw It's a new IP and it looks awesome!
    You're right, it's totally original, no one's done an M-Rated, over-the-top beat-em-up/hack n slash with a dark, overly sexualized sense of humor before.

...wait...

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I could really give two shits about Nintendo. Nintendo lost me when they stopped releasing fun games in favor of the same shit every year.

Now unless it's Mario, Zelda, Metriod or Kirby Nintendo doesn't care.

So I don't care either.
    That's the industry right now, unfortunately. You could probably count the amount of new worthwhile IP's from this console generation on one hand.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dr. BaconStein's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried to like it, I really did, but I'm done. Nobody wants to see Skype or Facebook apps and few actual games announced every year. Even some of the really impressive looking ones just end up in disappointment. I'm done riding the hype train. It's just a waste of time. I have more fun reading up on clone consoles and Chinese Android game systems which are actually a sincere attempt at marketing towards people like me and pushing things forward. But for now, it's time to retire from the mainstream market. It's all just... blah.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson View Post
    You're right, it's totally original, no one's done an M-Rated, over-the-top beat-em-up/hack n slash with a dark, overly sexualized sense of humor before.

...wait...
    Yeah, and the first one was even a Suda 51 game. Then again, did many people like Shadows of the Damned? Speaking of weird games in that category, Catherine was outdone in terms of gameplay by an $8 3DS game.

Onechanbara differs from the other two you gave because Bayonetta and No More Heroes are good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson View Post
    You're right, it's totally original, no one's done an M-Rated, over-the-top beat-em-up/hack n slash with a dark, overly sexualized sense of humor before...
    While I see your point, he was most likely pointing out that more than just sequels get released every year.

On a completely unrelated note, your avatar was the most interesting/amusing thing that came out of that Nintendo Wii U special on Nintendo Direct roughly two hours ago. Hopefully "Not Specific Action Figure" gets his own game on Wii U.

You could probably count the amount of new worthwhile IP's from this console generation on one hand.
    Thats highly subjective though. What I feel is worthwhile probably won't be what you feel is worthwhile and vise versa. While we have gotten alot of sequels this gen we have also got alot of original IP too.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

That's the industry right now, unfortunately. You could probably count the amount of new worthwhile IP's from this console generation on one hand.
    It's possible that you're defining "new worthwhile IP's" as, "games I personally liked", but assuming that you're going with the actual definition, we have in no particular order:

Gears of War
    Dead Space
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Castle Crashers
    Uncharted
    Demon's/Dark Souls
    Assassin's Creed
    Little Big Planet
    Skullgirls
    Dead Rising
    Bioshock
    Alan Wake
    Blazblue
    Modern Warfare
    Borderlands
    Mass Effect

There are more, but we're out of hands.

Jesus, people.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do not enjoy it as much as I used too, but I still look forward to it. In recent years publishers have tried to make announcements pre-E3, which leaves E3 to primarily the big 3.

This year I think the big 3 have kept a lid on what's coming and there may be a couple of surprises.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    On a completely unrelated note, your avatar was the most interesting/amusing thing that came out of that Nintendo Wii U special on Nintendo Direct roughly two hours ago. Hopefully "Not Specific Action Figure" gets his own game on Wii U.
    Or at least playable in the next Smash Bros.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone else just not caring about E3 this year? In past years I was excited for 5 hours of new game coverage on my TV. This year I'm just not feeling it. I'll probably watch the Microsoft Conference in vein hoping for a new IP for my system of Choice But overall MEH.

I don't think Sony has anything that's going to make me run out and Buy a Vita RIGHT F'N NOW (as opposed to EVENTUALLY) I don't think the Wii U is going to shatter the earth and I don't think Nintendo is going to win me over on the 3DS.

SO MEH

I do still want a VITA that thing is comfy to hold.

I can't say that I ever cared about it. Its all just industry self hype.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another reason I love PC games.