Thread: NES Toaster 15 pin Expansion mod

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES Toaster 15 pin Expansion mod

I wanted to share my results of adding a Famicom 15 pin connector to a toaster NES:

It was fairly simple to do, the main thing to figure out was the wiring, since the bottom of the EXP port is under the toaster's cart slot. I took an old IDE ribbon cable and stripped off 15 wires from it, and pulled back individual strands on both ends, the middle was able to lay flat beneath the cartridge bay without issue. Enough length was left so the board can be lifted again later if needed, and the other end soldered to a standard DA-15 connector mounted in the front next to the controller ports.

My Bandai Hypershot, and Tap Tap Mat accessories worked fine with the connector. Although it isnt as deep as the DA15s on Famicoms and Neo Geos, the connectors fit snugly and don't move at all. I plan to get a set of Famicom 3D glasses next to try out with it.

Game Tape Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jack Crow 2004
    PSN
    JackCrow2004

Very nice little mod there. I haven't seen anyone try doing this one before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

I was going to give this one a shot myself seeing as the pins were all there. Never got ahold of any hardware that could use it.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arasoi View Post
    I wanted to share my results of adding a Famicom 15 pin connector to a toaster NES:

It was fairly simple to do, the main thing to figure out was the wiring, since the bottom of the EXP port is under the toaster's cart slot. I took an old IDE ribbon cable and stripped off 15 wires from it, and pulled back individual strands on both ends, the middle was able to lay flat beneath the cartridge bay without issue. Enough length was left so the board can be lifted again later if needed, and the other end soldered to a standard DA-15 connector mounted in the front next to the controller ports.

My Bandai Hypershot, and Tap Tap Mat accessories worked fine with the connector. Although it isnt as deep as the DA15s on Famicoms and Neo Geos, the connectors fit snugly and don't move at all. I plan to get a set of Famicom 3D glasses next to try out with it.
    Looks like an interesting Mod. What are the potentiometers used for or are they select switches between the controlllers?

Maybe you can Edit the OP and go into detail how you did this with a couple pics of the wiring inside the NES. A full blown reference so others can attempt this.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The pots are for a stereo sound mod I did actually, the whole unit has been modded quite a bit. It is also RGB modded into a JROK encoder for different outputs, and has a custom cardedge 72 pin connector installed:

Here is an older video of the LED mod in it (made a long while before I did the stereo mod):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i0TVPsL2iw

I'll see about grabbing a photo or two of the insides, the wiring itself isnt super fancy, the main thing was sorting out which pins went where. here is what I used:

http://atariusa.com/FC_NES_EXP_Pinouts.html

The original document lists 21 as audio on the EXP connector which is incorrect, that is video out. It's actually 22.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very cool mod work. I'd love to see a video of all the bells and whistles in action.

I envy the light mod. I swapped out the LED light in a toaster of mine once with a blue one and it fried the poor thing for reasons beyond my limited area of electrical knowledge. Needless to say I have been hesitant to ever attempt it again. Red works just fine.