Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SON OF A BITCH. 3DS XL announce for the US.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default SON OF A BITCH. 3DS XL announce for the US.

I didn't even see a reveal of the 3DS XL, but because I just recently purchased a 3DS, this pisses me off. I purchased a 3DS a couple months ago because Nintendo saying they're not releasing another revision of the 3DS, other people saw it as just not happening because the system is selling well, and what happens. A couple months past a year, Nintendo releases another fucking revision. Fuck you, Nintendo. You finally hit 20 million sales, might as well release another revision to get the same 20 million people who bought the first one to buy it again. Then release that dual analog version after that, then the dual analog XL version. I knew it was going to happen, but with the system selling well, the system being thin, and the dual analog not being complained about anymore, I assumed like everyone else it wouldn't happen this early. Leave it to Nintendo to fuck everyone over who's interested in playing video games on their consoles, whether it's because a better version comes out no more than three months after you purchase the handheld, or the fact that there games never drop in price. An owner of a Nintendo console is always getting fucked one way or another.

Might as well reset my current 3DS and sell it before the XL release. Not like I play anything other than Mario Kart 7 anyways.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/06/21...ugust-for-200/
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-21-2012 at 11:30 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Nintendo never said they weren't going to modify the 3DS. Hell people have been thinking that a second analog stick was going to happen sometime soon.

No biggie, don't buy it. It's not additional functionality. It's just a bit bigger screen.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

According to Kotaku it doesn't come with an AC adapter. That must be some killer battery life. I hope AC adapters don't become future addons. I love that it says for them to cut costs on it. They still have to make the same one for the current 3DS. Oh, Nintendo.

http://kotaku.com/5920420/nintendo-a...new-bigger-3ds
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder why they aren't including the extra analog stick with this one.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

The no AC thing is strange, but if they include a USB that it can charge with, that's fine.

I like the matte finish, I like the rounded corners and I like the physical start/home/select buttons (hate those pressure bubbles on the 3DS).

We all knew this was inevitable. Nintendo loves to revise their portables.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I wonder why they aren't including the extra analog stick with this one.
    They're waiting for August 2013.

We all knew this was inevitable. Nintendo loves to revise their portables. up
    Yes, we all knew, but it's only been one year.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    Nintendo never said they weren't going to modify the 3DS. Hell people have been thinking that a second analog stick was going to happen sometime soon.
    This isn't the first time Miyamoto or Iwata has said this as there have been other interviews that they said they won't release another revision of the 3DS as they developed it without the need to release another. With the recent release of the 3DS XL though, I can't find another source other than this one. Miyamoto is practically saying right there that there won't be another revision. A week before the announcement. ONE WEEK AGO. Any Nintendo fan that looks up news on this bullshit, and is straight up lied to with a week before announcement, but Nintendo can still do no wrong.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/...eld-generation

Nintendo clearly has the most loyal fans. When the company screws you over time and time again and you still take it, you've got some major loyalty to that company.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-22-2012 at 12:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the concept of an XL model, but the lack of a second circle pad just makes it blatantly obvious that they're hedging for another revision in the future. Might as well just wait until version 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, I just got a GREAT idea for a Vita kickstarter campaign:

Make a free downloadable game that uses the twin sticks like boxing gloves. Put a 3ds early adapter on the screen, to where you can start to punch him in the nuts. Jabs, uppercuts, sucker punches, etc. Get some good sound effects for the hits. During the punching he can say things like:
    "Wow, I really don't need two circle pads"
    "I don't need an AC adapter because I bought the last five DS hardware rehashes"
    "I love Nintendo handhelds. A new one ever six months"
    "Multiple colors, multiple colors"
    "3D really doesn't give me a headache"
    "The 3ds really isn't last gen hardware"
    "I can't wait for the 3ds circle pad pro XL edition"
    "What the f@# Nintendo" (from every forum post I've read so far....)

I love my Vita, thank goodness I got rid of the first 3ds when it still brought $200 in credit. Anyone have any more quotes???
    Last edited by ifkz; 06-22-2012 at 12:20 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Glad I waited, yet again. I will buy this after it has its first price drop, unless a dual analog version is announced at that time, then I will wait for that.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Amazed that anyone is surprised at this. I would buy this if it had a second analog stick. Seriously, that should have been in the first one.

I'm fine with my launch 3DS. Didn't go up to DSi XL when I had a DSi. At least there are games I want coming out, unlike the Vita. Funny that the Vita and 3DS are almost complete opposites: Vita has a great ergonomic design, but few games I want. 3DS is terrible ergonomically and should have two analog sticks, but I put up with it because of stuff like Kid Icarus, Mario Kart, Professor Layton, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, and Paper Mario.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Want some cheese with that whine?

This is not a Nintendo thing. This is a game industry thing. Just about every home console gets some sort of "slim" version eventually, and handhelds get multiple versions. The PSP got four (1000, 2000, 3000, Go), as did the DS (original, Lite, DSi Lite, DSi XL), as did the GBA (original, frontlit SP, backlit SP, Micro).

For what it's worth, I really like my DSi XL, but I still prefer my DS Lite for some games. New hardware revisions aren't necessarily better in every single way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Are you shocked it's Nintendo

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Heh just posted about this in the E3 thread.

I'm unconvinced that this will be really worth spending money on, with the only advantages being the larger screens, form factor, and slightly better battery life at only 30min for 3DS and 1-2 hours for DS games. That and it incorporates none of the Circle Pad Pro features that several of its biggest games use for much better control like RE:Revelations, MSG3:3DS, Kid Icarus, Monster Hunter, etc. It probably wont work with the currently released CCP either so you'll either need to buy another one designed for the 3DSXL. Unless this is much more comfortable then the current model and has a much wider 3D viewing angle then I won't be trading up.

Found out about this recently though, Nyko's own take on the Circle Pad Pro and unless the XL wows me in person I'll just pick one of these up. They are going to sell it for 30 bucks, claim a 3x battery life and it works as another "shell" for your 3DS. Their extended battery worked wonders for my 3DS and it seems a lot cheaper then getting the "gamestop discount" on trading up to the next big thing. I am a lot more excited for this thing then I am the XL.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    Heh just posted about this in the E3 thread.

I'm unconvinced that this will be really worth spending money on, with the only advantages being the larger screens, form factor, and slightly better battery life at only 30min for 3DS and 1-2 hours for DS games. That and it incorporates none of the Circle Pad Pro features that several of its biggest games use for much better control like RE:Revelations, MSG3:3DS, Kid Icarus, Monster Hunter, etc. It probably wont work with the currently released CCP either so you'll either need to buy another one designed for the 3DSXL. Unless this is much more comfortable then the current model and has a much wider 3D viewing angle then I won't be trading up.

Found out about this recently though, Nyko's own take on the Circle Pad Pro and unless the XL wows me in person I'll just pick one of these up. They are going to sell it for 30 bucks, claim a 3x battery life and it works as another "shell" for your 3DS. Their extended battery worked wonders for my 3DS and it seems a lot cheaper then getting the "gamestop discount" on trading up to the next big thing. I am a lot more excited for this thing then I am the XL.
    I too, plan on getting that. Especially since there are going to be more CCP-compatible games coming out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The only thing I don't like about the circle pad pro and that Nyko circle pad pro add on(although the Nyko one does look pretty sleek,) is that you have a few inches jutting out of the side of the console, making a handheld with already poor ergonomics, even more poor. In order to get to the face buttons, you need to have your fingers go past the right analog a few inches and then to the buttons.

Instead of garnishing more sales by releasing the XL and then later the guaranteed dual analog 3DS, they should have just did the XL with the dual analog instead and just manufacture all current 3DS' to have dual analog. Continuing to not making a dual analog 3DS is doing nothing more than, that's right, having Nintendo 3DS owners pay $20 for Nintendo's own second analog, something that probably cost them pennies per unit to develop. The XL will probably get its own version of the second analog, getting more sales from those users, and then some time down the road when Nintendo thinks they've milked their fanbase enough, they'll release the 3DS Dual Analog version and then a year later, 3DS Dual Analog version XL.

New it was going to happen, but when they said they weren't going to release a revision, it made me think it was going to be atleast another year. Didn't think it was going to be this soon. Just another reason to add to the very long list of reasons as to why Nintendo is my least favorite gaming company.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The closest things I think you'll be able to find that Nintendo said were usual pr lines like "we don't comment on rumors and speculations", we have "nothing to officially announce at this time", or that "we don't have any immediate plans" to release a revision. I don't think you're going to find any statements that ever said Nintendo was never going to release a revision or that a revision was several years down the road.

Everyone knew this was coming. Anyone that's upset about it is just being foolish. And heck, it's happening right about the same time in the 3DS lifecycle as the DS Lite the last time around. And anyone that buys this not especting an improved revision a year or two down the road is equally foolish. There's going to be a Super 3DS and a Super 3DSXL down the road I'm sure.

The only way to avoid this problem is to wait until the bitter end. 4 or 5 years of being able to enjoy games for a platform before its commercial life has ended seems like a fair trade off to buying an earlier iteration of a handheld. And it's not like the earlier portions of the previous two handheld generations where the screens were significantly improved upon later on. The 3DS screen is bright, vibrant, sharp, and had minimum motion blurring right out of the box.

A bigger screen, while nice, isn't going to suddenly make the experience on the current 3DS markebly inferior to that of this revision. In fact I predict that some are going to prefer the existing system for its smaller form factor and lighter weight.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-22-2012 at 09:36 PM.

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't currently own a 3DS, but probably will buy the "classic" model either way. My only disappointment with this announcement is the already mentioned lack of a second analog stick, but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    The no AC thing is strange, but if they include a USB that it can charge with, that's fine.
    Actually, the article says the no AC is Japan only. Strange yes, but guessing most on these boards won't be impacted.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Yes, we all knew, but it's only been one year.

Nintendo clearly has the most loyal fans. When the company screws you over time and time again and you still take it, you've got some major loyalty to that company.
    I understand people's frustration, but Nintendo isn't screwing anyone over here. They are revising their product, while still selling the original at a cheaper price. Companies do this all the time. Already mentioned, videogame consoles get revised with a "slim" version. Apple releases a new iPod/iPad/iPhone almost yearly (maybe more regularly?). I'm sure people complain about that too, but oh well, it happens and there are plenty of loyal Apple fans. While not exactly the same, car companies do the same thing: release a new model, with minor improvements each year. Loyal car buyers keep returning to the same auto company when they need a new car. This isn't just a Nintendo thing, all industrial-type companies partake in this practice to some degree or another.
    Last edited by frogofdeath; 06-22-2012 at 07:20 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    ...I like the physical start/home/select buttons (hate those pressure bubbles on the 3DS).
    I didn't notice this (the original link won't open for me), but you can see it in the Kotaku pictures. YES! I hate the stupid Start/Select/Home buttons on the 3DS. I love my DSi XL, so I'll probably sell my 3DS and pick up the 3DS XL when it comes out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

There will be an AC adapter. I'll bet something got lost in translation at Kotaku. There won't be an AC dock included with XL. Does that make a little more sense?

Also...red or blue only? No thanks. I'll wait for an "adult" color (who the XL line was originally intended for).

Edit: stupid phone typing.
    Last edited by heybtbm; 06-22-2012 at 08:21 AM.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aussie2B, Leo_A, and frogofdeath, you should know by now that logic has no place in a kupomogli thread.