Thread: Microsoft Taking Heat For Five-Figure Xbox 360 'Patch Fee' [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Microsoft Taking Heat For Five-Figure Xbox 360 'Patch Fee' [Slashdot]

wasimkadak sends this quote from Ars: "Developer Phil Fish knows there's a problem preventing some people from enjoying his Xbox 360 puzzle platformer Fez as intended. But he's not going to fix it, thanks to what he says is an exorbitant fee of 'tens of thousands of dollars' that Microsoft would charge to re-certify the game after a needed patch. The issue started on June 22, when Fish released a patch intended to fix some outstanding gameplay and performance issues with Fez. That patch gave rise to new problems for some players, though, by causing their save files to appear as corrupted, in effect erasing their progress through the game. Microsoft pulled the initial patch for the game mere hours after it first went up, to prevent the bug it contained from spreading too far." Another article covering the story suggests this situation is simply a mis-match between an indie-dev's expectations and the realities of a curated gaming platform.

Read more of this story at Slashdot.
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a hard time believing that this guy agreed to sell his game on XBL and wasn't aware of the fee to patch games.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the one hand, five-figure patch fees for indie devs are pretty exorbitant and silly. On the other hand, Fish has made a boatload of money off this game and can certainly afford it.

Conclusion: Wait for the PC version.

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Guess he should have made a working game.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    On the one hand, five-figure patch fees for indie devs are pretty exorbitant and silly. On the other hand, Fish has made a boatload of money off this game and can certainly afford it.

Conclusion: Wait for the PC version.
    I won't buy it. He already told us all that they game was 100% made for a console and that he never intended for it to be played on a PC so surely a PC port wouldn't be worth purchasing.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    I won't buy it. He already told us all that they game was 100% made for a console and that he never intended for it to be played on a PC so surely a PC port wouldn't be worth purchasing.
    I don't think he'll hold to that. Maybe if it were a PSN game where a large portion of it would have to be rewritten, but an XNA game? It's too much money to gain for too little work for them not to bite. As long as it's not a halfassed buggy mess then I'll probably buy it. But even if it is, at least they'll be able to patch it without paying tens of thousands of dollars.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Porksta View Post
    Guess he should have made a working game.
    I agree. This is why they made the fee, so people wouldn't release an unfinished product and just keep patching it later to fix all the bugs.