Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend some ps1 games for me.

Strawberry (Level 2) DragonMaster Sam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    The PlayStation has, like, a bajillion gems. It would really help if you gave us some idea of what you're looking for. If you like Resident Evil, there's Silent Hill. If you like Mega Man 8, there's Mega Man X4 (and X5 and X6, but those are pretty meh). If you like 2D games with platforming, there's Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Castlevania Chronicles, Silhouette Mirage, Tomba, Rayman, Strider 2, etc. If you want a good racer, there's Ridge Racer Type 4.

My top three PlayStation games would probably be Star Ocean: The Second Story, Valkyrie Profile, and Tail Concerto, but I don't know if any of those would be of interest to you.
    Get a Sega Saturn for some of these games as they are vastly superior. Example would be megaman 8, megaman X4, Castlevania SOTN, Rayman and all of the capcom fighters. The Saturn versions of those games are stellar. Megaman 8 has better animation and music along with secret bosses. Megaman X4 has some little differences. Rayman just kills the ps version with better graphics and animation. Ask anyone about any of the capcom fighters on Saturn and it's a no brainer to get them on Saturn vs ps1.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Eh... I definitely agree with you on the Capcom fighters, which is why I wouldn't recommend them on PlayStation for the most part, but I don't know about all of those others. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night in particular is better on PlayStation, I'd say, which seems to be the conclusion of most people who have experience with both versions. Sure, the Saturn version has a bit of extra content (which, honestly, is pretty half-assed), but the effects are really choppy and bad on Saturn. I'm pretty sure I've read interviews with some of the people at Konami behind the Saturn port where they admit that they're not very proud of it. Also, it's only available in Japanese, unlike the PlayStation version, which I'd imagine would be a pretty important detail to most players. It's more expensive on Saturn as well.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 08-16-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You may be right about SOTN, my fanboy is probably showing lol.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Klonoa
    Spider
    Hercules
    Disruptor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    heres a few off the top of my head:

Power Shovel - super fun backhoe simulator

Holy crap dude!!! I thought you were just trying to sneak in a joke!!! I may just get this one on principle alone!!!
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Here's a good review of Power Shovel.

The game is pretty challenging. Getting the hang of the controls and dealing with some of the obstructed early polygon graphics are possible annoyances. However the controls are exactly as they really are in a real backhoe, so don't blame the game if you can't hang.

I honestly can say it is one of the most fun games I've played on Playstation out of the couple hundred I have experience with. Power Shovel is a joke... saving turtles with a backhoe. But it is one great game too.

This says it all, here's an excerpt from the reader comments of that review I linked:
    I am an excavator operator myself and no matter how many hours I have on the machine at work, I still enjoy this game as an all time and often revisited favorite. If you love games that have precise, fluid and deep controls that keep you addicted, there’s not a single game in the universe that even comes close to this one.
    Last edited by Koa Zo; 08-20-2012 at 01:29 AM.

JOEY Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fear Effect, Legacy of Kain, and Heart of Darkness. If you like RPGs, Xenogears is pretty rad.

As for saturn games being better than PS1. The capcom games are typically better with a ram cart. Get an action replay and import the shmups and fighters though, (you'll need the cart to up the frame animation of games like Marvel Super Heroes anyway). I've heard that Castlevania is better on the saturn but I haven't had a chance to give it a go yet.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Jumping Flash and Jumping Flash 2 - they look like shit but are a lot of fun
    I loved the music in the Jumping Flash games. It was good for its day. The cranky old man was hilarious.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final Fantasy VII & VIII are great for RPGs. For adventure games, Tomba 1 & 2 were amazing the best and unmatched in its day. Puzzles you can't go wrong with Bust-A-Move, Intelligent Qube & Devil Dice. For fighting Tobal no. 1, Ehrgeiz & Soul Blade. Battle Arena Toshinden & Tekken of course should not be dismissed.