Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Really Yellow SNES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks omnedon, i was pretty pleased with it myself when i got it all finished!!

It is a perfect match for the killer instinct snes Cart!! i thought it might be abit off either lighter or darker but it was just right!!

There are so many things people can do with there snes (lol)

I always think of what nintendo could have done! with the snes, How about a special edition snes for the Donkey Country Comp Winners, it would just be green but it could have had the Green leaves design all over it or even the Donkey Kong characters on the back half of the snes!!

The same for the Starfox Comp!!

i got that idea for after i saw a playstation 1 console that was made for a comp here in england! i think the design was destruction derby, they had some design company come up with it, it was sonys idea as well very nice..

And the deign was amazing!! it looked like the designs you see Airbrushed on cars and motorbikes!!

And why the hell wasn't there a Super Mario Kart Comp!!! god dam!!

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Yes, I was inferring a small sticker about the same dimensions as the old logo before it was painted over. I think you could find some place that would custom cut that for you if you provided them with a graphic. You could print out a logo on a clear sticker sheet as well from a computer printer but the end result wouldn't quite be as neat.

Incidentally, I have to pipe in as well and say that paint job looks great. If the SNES was already yellowing to begin with you might as well- what paint did you use?

You could get ultrabright LEDs (cost a buck instead of ten cents, usually) and those would easily be visible, dark room or not.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great job painting that snes,Predatorxs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Paint i used is HYCOTE, Gloss Black, here is some info off the can (Extra Covering power, Acrylic Formulation, Suitable for use with Acrylic or cellulose paint...... Do not spray on young children or games sytems especially super nintendo's lol just kiddin )

The can was also a 400ml and i used alot, i didn't cake th parts in paint i gave it a soft layer first and then gave it 30 mins or so, before i gave it an other layer, it took an hour or so, but i was doing other things then checking back on it, giving it an other layer...

Alittle tip i hung all the snes pieces out on my washing line when i was spraying them, they dried alot quick and there was no paint build up!!

Most people that have used spray paint will already know most if not all but i just thought i'd let you guys know how i did it.. so you have somewhere to start, if your thinking of having a go!

Out of my snes collection i used one of the worst yellow cases that was not cracked or damaged, i won't dream of using a nice clean snes!!

I use a dirty yellow snes for playing my games, it sits on the floor so if it gets a kick or 2 it doesn't matter!!

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Acrylic paint is great stuff. Very versatile on a lot of different surfaces, and it doesn't react to certain plastic types the way some spray paints do. (I've ruined a couple of good model kits in my time with intolerant paint...arrgh.)

Very nice job on the "dark" console, too. Looks like a factory issue!

About the transfer thing -- I'm thinking of the kind that you rub off with a pencil onto wood and such. It ought to work just as well on painted plastic, but I don't know how you'd be able to get a custom set of Super Nintendo logos made in that way.

Vinyl stickers might do the job, but they'd have to be a pretty thin gauge to look right. (And maybe I am being way too compulsive here... x_x )

Duncan
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    About the transfer thing -- I'm thinking of the kind that you rub off with a pencil onto wood and such. It ought to work just as well on painted plastic, but I don't know how you'd be able to get a custom set of Super Nintendo logos made in that way.

Vinyl stickers might do the job, but they'd have to be a pretty thin gauge to look right. (And maybe I am being way too compulsive here... x_x )

Duncan
    If you planned on clear coating the snes after you painted it, you could mask off the original logo with masking tape using an exacto knife to trace around the letters.. once it was painted black you could carefully peel the tape up and then clear coat the whole thing to make it nice and smooth over the logo..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Predatorxs
    Do you mean like a big sticker?!? thats kind of funny, i buy alot of stuff (Nintendo / snes) from the US and i bought a few nintendo logo vinyl stickers (awhile bak) but if i use them i'll need to use the letters only and not the hoop that goes around the letters. the nintendo would fit just nicely!!

But if you mean a small sticker i get what your saying, also i could paint the little ninny logo white, just the letters and the hoop!!

I'd luv to do something with a few leds like maybe put some inside the cart slot so once the game is plugged in and the snes switched on you'd get a glow coming from out of the snes cart slot and it'd light up the game pak as well.

Would only really work in dark rooms!! lol.. But if the led(s) were bright enuff and say maybe in red or blue it would look pretty cool..

Am i taking this snes modifing alittle to far :P
    I love your paintjob by the way, I'm really tempted to do that to mine also.

As for the LEDs...I don't thing this would be too hard to do! All you have to do is snip on of the leads to the power LED run a wire to the cart slot, hook up a few LEDs in series and run another wire to the other side of the snipped power LED lead!

In theory, that should work.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Quote Originally Posted by ZackWIU
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan

If you planned on clear coating the snes after you painted it, you could mask off the original logo with masking tape using an exacto knife to trace around the letters.. once it was painted black you could carefully peel the tape up and then clear coat the whole thing to make it nice and smooth over the logo..
    Well, I was thinking in terms of a stock-looking gray repaint. So masking tape would actually work perfectly in that sense, provided you can find just the right shade of gray paint to match the original tone.

Clear coating (in matte finish) is probably a good idea as well; that way, you'll probably never have to repaint the thing again.

I'm fairly handy with a spray can, thanks to years of building car models -- maybe I should start restoring old SNES decks...

Duncan
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Quote Originally Posted by sisko
    As for the LEDs...I don't thing this would be too hard to do! All you have to do is snip on of the leads to the power LED run a wire to the cart slot, hook up a few LEDs in series and run another wire to the other side of the snipped power LED lead!

In theory, that should work.

Any thoughts on this?
    Well, following standard electronic repair theory, anything's possible as long as you don't let the smoke out.

Duncan