Thread: 8-bit to 16-bit Wrestling Games: the good, the bad, and M.U.S.C.L.E.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

The only one I could tolerate was Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game. I hate endlessly mashing buttons in order to get out of a grapple, and this game changes it up, making into a fighting game style.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The already mentioned Super Fire Prowrestling series is the cream of the crop, particularly Super Fire Prowrestling Special (the 4th game) and Super Fire Prowrestling X (the 5th).

There's a rom translation patch for SFPX Premium (a 2nd release version of X, that I think just had more room for created wrestlers). Acutally, I don't know how hard they are to find these days, but there were a lot of really good hacking tools released so you could copy wrestlers to and from save games among other things.

Another really good one, also on SFC, was Burning Prowrestling. The gameplay isn't quite as good, but is still lightyears beyond anything released outside of Japan in that era. And it even has a lot of features and options not in Fire Pro, like player controlled refs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WWf Wrestlemania The Arcade Game is really the only rasslin game that's any good.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    The already mentioned Super Fire Prowrestling series is the cream of the crop, particularly Super Fire Prowrestling Special (the 4th game) and Super Fire Prowrestling X (the 5th).

There's a rom translation patch for SFPX Premium (a 2nd release version of X, that I think just had more room for created wrestlers). Acutally, I don't know how hard they are to find these days, but there were a lot of really good hacking tools released so you could copy wrestlers to and from save games among other things.

Another really good one, also on SFC, was Burning Prowrestling. The gameplay isn't quite as good, but is still lightyears beyond anything released outside of Japan in that era. And it even has a lot of features and options not in Fire Pro, like player controlled refs.
    Fire Pro stuff is typically excellent, complex and wildly customizable, though it's precision-timing-based grapple system is a real barrier for entry for most novice players. It's plays pretty much the opposite of every other wrestling game that came before it. Totally an anti-button-masher.

Also, shocked to see so much love for Wrestlemania the Arcade Game.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wrestlemania Challenge for the NES is (was?) absolutely outstanding in two player mode. In single player mode, it was FAR too easy, but I loved playing it when a friend came over, either against one another or as a team. If you have someone else who likes old school games, it might be worth giving it a shot with them.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to believe some of the developers that created Pro Wrestling moved on to Human/Spike. You can see the same animations when you pick up your opponent after they're close to being beaten, within the Fire Pro series.

I actually enjoyed In your House as well as Wrestlemania Arcade. I know some really hated that one, but I thought the power-ups and hindrance items added a layer of strategy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I guess I didn't know better as a kid but I ended up with Tag Team Wrestling and even finished it. I never really hated the game but I was not ever super hyped about it either but I don't think it deserves to be called bad. Sure you were stuck with very limited wrestler options but the move sets were kind of cool as was the ability out of the wring to beat the crap out of someone using a chair or running them over to the poll and skull cracking them on it.

Later (latter part of the 90s) I ended up with Pro Wrestling which is really fun and gave a lot more choices.

I have been curious about the Natsume wrestler and Slamasters from Capcom but never tried them.

I also have a prototype of WWF Wrestlemania for GB, interesting game with a good little roster of wrestlers, not sure if my copy is a final test or not as I don't have the original and barely fire it up as I don't want it to croak. I'd be more inclined to sell it than store it.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
    I have to believe some of the developers that created Pro Wrestling moved on to Human/Spike. You can see the same animations when you pick up your opponent after they're close to being beaten, within the Fire Pro series.

I actually enjoyed In your House as well as Wrestlemania Arcade. I know some really hated that one, but I thought the power-ups and hindrance items added a layer of strategy.
    Yes, you are correct.

Masato Masuda was the lone programmer on Pro Wrestling for Famicom/NES and he also worked on the Fire Pro series in its earliest incarnations.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Yes, you are correct.

Masato Masuda was the lone programmer on Pro Wrestling for Famicom/NES and he also worked on the Fire Pro series in its earliest incarnations.
    Cool, I've long had the same thought, good to hear it is indeed true!