Thread: 8-bit to 16-bit Wrestling Games: the good, the bad, and M.U.S.C.L.E.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 8-bit to 16-bit Wrestling Games: the good, the bad, and M.U.S.C.L.E.

I've always enjoyed playing wrestling video games with friends. Serving as the equivalent of video game junk food, they're fun to throw into a console for a few minutes of over the top, smack-talking, button-mashing mayhem. Also, for whatever reason, pinning a buddy for a three count satisfies something in my martial spirit that a Street Fighter or Tekken k.o. just can't, which is odd because other than the occasional online Sumo Wrestling, I don't ever watch wrestling of any kind.

Anyway... What wrestling games kick ass and which ones suck ass for the 3rd and the 4th generation of gaming? Are there cult classics, guilty pleasures, or abominations that are so bad that they're worth checking out?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Fire Pro series for the Super Famicom is really good, though if you're looking for the ROM make sure you look for one with a translation patch, which is not only in English but will usually have all the wrestlers with their proper names (all the characters are based on real wrestlers, with the right look and movesets, but the names are changed for copyright reasons). Everything else for the 3rd and 4th generation systems is crap, the NES/SMS isn't advanced enough to do a good wrestling game (and there's not enough buttons on the controllers), and the WWF games for the SNES/Genesis were made by LJN. Saturday Night Slam Masters for the SNES/Genesis is OK, but that's really a fighting game that happens in a ring.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A.C. Sativa View Post
    Saturday Night Slam Masters for the SNES/Genesis is OK, but that's really a fighting game that happens in a ring.
    I was going to mention this but you beat me to it, I've had fun with this title. Usually I'm not really into wrestling games that much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good: Pro Wrestling and Tecmo World Wrestling (both NES)

Very bad: Tag Team Wrestling (NES)

Insert Coin (Level 0) EricThaDead's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently translated an old Famicom wrestling game called "Toukon Club" into English (Not that there was alot of text). It sort of plays like the Fire Pro series, but not as elaborate, obviously. Easily my favorite NES wrestling game. Check it out.

You can get my translation patch and instructions for applying the patch at http://ericesoteric.com/blog/game-ha...-club-famicom/
    Last edited by EricThaDead; 06-11-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

As far as US releases are concerned,

On the NES

Pro Wrestling on NES still holds up extremely well. Exceptionally well IMO. It's a shame that some of the characters/actions have kept Nintendo from re-releasing it on Virtual Console or elsewhere.

Of course Pro Wrestling owes practically everything to Taito's arcade classic Mat Mania, which also holds up extremely well and similarly has characters (Coco Savage) that just wouldn't fly in an era of appropriate racial sensitivity.

Tecmo Wrestling is good, some impressive presentation (cut-away cinematics on power moves) and power-up training system.

The WWF games on NES are all horrible. With licensed property king LJN at the helm, play mechanics are all but an after-thought.

WCW Championship Wrestling seems to have the seeds of good ideas (large roster, actual wrestling play mechanics) but it's just so stiff and ugly that it's not worth the time/effort required to learn how to play it well.

M.U.S.C.L.E. gets a bad rap, it's not a technical marvel by any stretch of the imagination, but as a two player "fighting" game, it's certainly possible to have fun with. If nothing else it created a video game legacy that got us to the Ultimate M.U.S.C.L.E. games on GameCube and PS2 which are pretty fantastic IMO.

Tag Team Wrestling is the bottom of the barrel for NES wrestling games, however - according to the Chapman Bros. who created him, the HomestarRunner character StrongBad got his name from the masked "Strong Bads" from that game. I do love me some StrongBad so I'll tolerate Tag Team Wrestling's existence for that.

*Same goes for Tag Team Wrestling on Sega Master System with the exception that it's a tiny bit better looking than the NES version.

On the SNES:

The WWF games improve to some degree with the peak of quality being Royal Rumble. Good graphics, decent play control, finishing moves, etc.

WCW SuperBrawl Not sure if this game uses early Fire Pro Wrestling tech, but it suffers from similar problems to its NES junior. It LOOKS a lot better, but it's generally too stiff and requires a lot of learning to get the most out of the wrestling mechanics.

Hammer Lock Wrestling is VERY similar to Tecmo Wrestling on NES. Very nice presentation with close-up large sprite cut away "cinematics". An odd one, can be hard to find in the wild, but worth grabbing if you like wrestling games. Like a lot of unlicensed wrestling games of this era it has aesthetic equivalents of current wrestlers of that time like Lex Luger, The Road Warriors, etc.

Natsume Championship Wrestling More arcadey than other unlicensed wrestlers on SNES, but sadly another one that's tough to play due to some really terrible collision detection and very challenging computer AI.

But, anybody who knows me knows that if there's one wrestling game in the 8/16 bit era that I hold above all others, it's:

Saturday Night Slam Masters Capcom's amazing hybrid wrestling/fighting game. Excellent on both SNES and Genesis though the Genesis version trades 4-player multi-tap mode for a 1-on-1 electric barb-wire death match. With character designs amusingly reminiscent of WWF and WCW wrestlers of that era by Tetsuo Hara (of Fist of the North Star), incredibly balanced/engineered play mechanics that blend the best things from wrestling games of that era with the best things from Street Fighter games, tons of "nods" to Capcom fans (appearances from Street Fighter charachters in the crowd, etc.) and a great soundtrack by Capcom regulars Toshio Kajino and Shun Nishigaki.

For my money Saturday Night Slam Masters, any way you can get it - SNES, Genesis, or on a good MAME/CPS emulator (it's CPS1, so it typically runs beautifully in emulation) is the way to go with 16 bit wrestling.

I was actually a "challenge" competitor at PAX East last year. Anybody who could best me in a game of Saturday Night Slam Masters got a PAX Challenge Coin. Took the better part of the weekend for somebody to step up to the challenge, but instead of getting bummed about losing - I was actually thrilled to find somebody else who loved the game as much as me when it finally happened. Turns out the guy who beat me was a staff writer who did a review of the SNES version for a gaming publication in the late 90s (can't remember if it was GamePro or EGM) and wound up similarly falling in love with the game.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 08-28-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wwf wrestlemania the arcade. It's more mortal kombat then wwf but it's good and fun!
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett