Thread: Should I thin out my collection?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Should I thin out my collection?

I know a lot of you are big time collectors and wouldn't sell any games... but lately I've been thinking about thinning out my NES and SNES collections of bad games or games I don't enjoy. I don't have a HUGE collection, but its not small, I have a lot of great games but a lot of pieces of garbage too. I've been thinking about it for a while, but decided that I wouldn't get enough money back to make it worth it. I'm not going for a complete collection of either. Has anybody here done this... was it a good move or one you ended up regretting? Thanks all!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will gladly adopt any NES & SNES games that you want to shoo out of your collection.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

If you are not going for a complete collection then I wouldnt feel bad about selling games you dont want.. especially if they are common titles. Ive downsized my collection quite a bit and never really regretted selling anything.
    Ive been collecting NES since 2000 and I was constantly selling off all the commons/sport/bad games and keeping all the better titles. When I finally decided to go for the complete collection (minus stadium events) it really wasnt hard or expensive to piece together the rest of the games needed, almost all were cheap games or really common ones. There were games that I had sold multiple times in the past that I was seeking out again. Its funny, because the VERY last game I needed for my collection was Jack Nicklaus Golf, and it took like 3-4 months to find. I wasnt about to buy one on ebay because avg shipping price would be about 4$ when its worth about a dollar. I ended up finding a copy for 1$ at a used game store and was pleased.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    I will gladly adopt any NES & SNES games that you want to shoo out of your collection.
    I can look through and pick out the games that I would be willing to part with and post them on here if youd like... honestly most of them are going to be pretty common or just garbage like mystery quest

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

It's really up to you. I'm not particularly going for complete sets myself, but I still keep a fair number of crummy games around. Mainly I just like to try things. Emulation isn't really my thing, and even if a game has a reputation for being bad, there's no knowing how I'll feel about it. But even if I have come to a conclusion that a game sucks, I still keep it around. I think it adds depth to my collection. I actually like to play through a so-so game now and then because it gives me even more appreciation for great games. If all you ever play is the best of the best, you can lose perspective. Plus they're worth a laugh. When friends are over, it's fun to pull a crap game off the shelf, laugh at how lame it is, and attempt to play it a little.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like the others have alluded to, it is really up to you what to do. Since you did mention you thought the games, were bad or garbage and you didn't enjoy them, it looks as though you wouldn't have a regret getting rid of them.

Also, if the games are commons, even if you do end up changing your mind later about getting rid of them, it wouldn't be too much of a problem to find them again and at minimal cost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Space-Ace-13 View Post
    I can look through and pick out the games that I would be willing to part with and post them on here if youd like... honestly most of them are going to be pretty common or just garbage like mystery quest
    Id give your Genesis games a home

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I did this a couple of years ago. I looked at my collection and how much I had that I would never play. I only keep games I enjoy, the collection is smaller and I have more fun playing it now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hey I did it a little over a year ago. I had well over 300 NES games and sold off a bit too many down to 50 and re-added like 20 since. I saw the writing on the wall of how the reseller greed is kicking its ass online and cashed out to snap up some SNES games I always wanted before that went nuts and I did and was right as it shot up just after. Just keep what you like and those you know you'll play now or later. If you don't care it's just a waste of space that some one else would put to better use.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

I enjoy most NES and SNES games and would be glad to take even bad ones off of your hands as som games others think are horrible I actually enjoy

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I would say that even being a collector of sorts is a subjective term. I think of myself as more of a gamer with broad tastes. I don't really have to have every game for any system I presently own. Just the ones I want/had/think I might like.

Some people get crazy sized collections to the point they have to keep a database just to remember what they already own and few of them will ever likely come out of storage and get played. I'm not trying to paint hardcore collectors in a negative light at all, to each their own; but personally I don't want to own 100 NES games when I can't think of 100 that interest me for example. I dont need a full set of a system's library. But I do want certain games even if they come at a price. I guess thinking about it deeper; I am a collector to a point but less so.

If I did; a powerpak would fill most of my curiosity with whatever title. But I love flashcarts too; which is an alternative to emulation if you feel that emu's are beneath your refined tastes I like them both personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks a lot for the responses everyone! I looked through my NES and SNES games and found close to 40 total between the 2 that I'm considering selling at this point. Its not too easy to get rid of some but I think with the money I get from them I can go out and buy some games I really want instead of having 40 games I hate. When I know what I'm looking to get rid of for sure I can post a list and we can try to figure out if anybody wants anything... and the rest will probably just go on ebay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok heres a list of what I've pulled out so far that I'd be willing to part with... as I said before, most of them suck or are fairly common so don't get too excited. If the game has any issues I'll put a * next to it and explain otherwise all are cart only in good working condition (mystery quest has the manual)

NES
    Genghis Khan *sticker on front label, could probably get of clean with some TLC*
    WWF WrestleMania
    Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
    T&C Surf Designs
    Stealth ATF
    4 Quattro Sports
    Operation Wolf
    RBI Baseball
    RoadBlasters
    Silent Service
    Mystery Quest
    MLB (Major League Baseball)
    John Elway's Quarterback
    Jack Nicklaus: Greatest 18 Holes of Major Championship Golf
    Dash Galaxy in the Alien Asylum
    Breakthru *Front label shredded (got it in an ebay lot)*
    The Black Bass
    Bigfoot
    Baseball *5 screw*
    Barker Bill's Trick Shooting
    Bases Loaded
    NES Play Action Football

SNES
    Wayne Gretzky and the NHLPA All-stars
    Pro Sport Hockey
    Batman Forever
    Pac-Attack
    Obitus

Feel free to PM or respond here if anything interests you at all or if you have questions. More games could come up soon
    Last edited by Space-Ace-13; 08-29-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know a lot of you are big time collectors and wouldn't sell any games... but lately I've been thinking about thinning out my NES and SNES collections of bad games or games I don't enjoy.
    I have been doing this over the last 2-3 years, but not because they were bad. I have started trimming parts of my collection(in this case Nes and Snes games) because I wanted to clear some space. So the first things to go have been all my factory sealed Nes and Snes games. I have gotten quite the premium for them(still have a few more to sell) and the extra money helps with bills and other stuff I want. And of course theres all that extra space.

More than any other company I have always collected factory sealed Nintendo games. Atleast 90% of the time I also have loose or complete open copies to play in addition to the sealed ones but I just always gravitated towards sealed Nintendo games. I'm now debating on when to offload my sealed N64 and Gamecube collections, as I have quite a few key titles in each.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I have been doing this over the last 2-3 years, but not because they were bad. I have started trimming parts of my collection(in this case Nes and Snes games) because I wanted to clear some space. So the first things to go have been all my factory sealed Nes and Snes games. I have gotten quite the premium for them(still have a few more to sell) and the extra money helps with bills and other stuff I want. And of course theres all that extra space.

More than any other company I have always collected factory sealed Nintendo games. Atleast 90% of the time I also have loose or complete open copies to play in addition to the sealed ones but I just always gravitated towards sealed Nintendo games. I'm now debating on when to offload my sealed N64 and Gamecube collections, as I have quite a few key titles in each.
    If you're looking to make the most for it, I'd wait a couple more year for N64 since prices are just starting to pick up on it.