Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are all Sega Genesis controllers this unresponsive?

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good thing to see I'm not the only one that cleans consoles, controllers and games, I can't stand dirt and grime especially on a controller. I always try my best to wash my hands before I play a game.

Also I do like people to bring their own controllers so one they can't complain your controller sucks and yes I'm one of those that don't like other people using my controllers. My immediate family or boyfriend are exceptions to the rule however, but of course clean hands equal clean controller with minimal dirt.

As for Genesis controllers, I've never had a problem with one, after a good contact cleaning they usually respond much better than before.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I was playing Genesis games for hours every day I used to have to clean the controller buttons and D-Pad or Joystick out every few months or so. These days I give them a good cleaning with windex and blow them out with my 100psi air compressor and they work fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by 123►Genei-Jin View Post
    I agree with everyone suggesting to open up and clean the controllers.

I completely disassemble everything I get no matter how clean it looks and soak all the plastic parts in soapy water and then use a tooth brush to finish the job (I even do this on Genesis/Master system boxes and all Cartridges)
    I clean all PCB with a small brush 1st and then use either isopropyl alcohol or contact cleaner to get them as clean as possible.
    I also use evapo-rust on any rusted parts I find.
    The only things I never open are carts with screws under stickers (like japanese Megadrive carts and SG-1000/Master System carts)
    I actually enjoy doing all of this.
    lol me too! its fun! I just found a dirty model 1 with altered beast (complete in box!) that looked and played bad. Took it apart and cleaned with alcool the console, controllers, and cartridge slot. Used a can of compressed air also to get the dust out of the boards. Shined everything with Armor All (it really makes a HUGE difference) and it looks almost as good as brand new!! Its also very easy, look up on youtube for how to dissassemble the controller or system dont be scared you only need a screwdriver, cotton swabs, isopropyl alcool and soap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I finally got around to opening up my Genesis controllers to see what's up. The first controller I opened had good response from the control pad, start button, A, and C buttons. But the B button didn't response unless I really pushed hard on it. Very flow breaking when you need precision in your jumping.

So I opened it, and cleaned all the contacts with alcohol. I then put it back together, and the B button was still acting up.

So I thought about it, and I took the magnet contact from the working start button (and I assume those are magnets that make the actual contact with the controller's circuit board) and swapped it with the B button. That fixed it (though now the Start button is the buggy one, but that's less critical)

So... I've come the conclusion that my controller problems aren't the result of dirty contacts, rather weak magnets. So the question becomes, is there any way to fix the magnets? Or is the only solution to hoard working magnets from other buggy controllers for future repairs?
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    So... I've come the conclusion that my controller problems aren't the result of dirty contacts, rather weak magnets. So the question becomes, is there any way to fix the magnets? Or is the only solution to hoard working magnets from other buggy controllers for future repairs?
    Wipe those too if you haven't already.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Some Genesis controllers just suck. For years I've been using one that came with a model 2 Genesis, but Battletoads showed me that it had a questionable D-pad. When I used a different 3-button controller with a more responsive pad, the Clinger Winger level became dirt-easy.

Contra Hard Corps is another game good for testing out D-pads. If they're not responsive or precise enough, you'll know.

Then six-button controllers... I hate the Sega Brand, but I have two by Performance (I think they're called like Super Pad 6 or something but I'll have to look later) that are awesome.

Also, you want to get extension cables. A company called Retro-bit has been making new ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Wipe those too if you haven't already.
    And that was the trick I missed. I went back through cleaning all three of my controllers and was shocked when the Q-tips were coming back coal black after cleaning the button bits.

Now my worst unresponsive controller is my best one. Amazing.

Thanks for all the help in getting this sorted. turns out turning dead Sega controllers into great ones is a really easy fix.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    And that was the trick I missed. I went back through cleaning all three of my controllers and was shocked when the Q-tips were coming back coal black after cleaning the button bits.

Now my worst unresponsive controller is my best one. Amazing.
    Good deal. There's usually a pretty heavy build up of powder as the contact pads break down from years of use which screws with how they register. And when you do find straight up bad controllers that you can't seem to diagnose, save the salvageable parts.

Last edited by InsaneDavid; 10-08-2012 at 12:26 AM.