Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are all Sega Genesis controllers this unresponsive?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Are all Sega Genesis controllers this unresponsive?

So today I picked up my very first Sega Genesis. Never had one growing up, and outside of occasionally playing display kiosks at department stories, it never was a system I played much.

Getting it hooked up, I fired up a few games I'd accumulated over the last couple of months to try it out. The first thing that struck me was how... unresponsive the controller feels compared to everything else I've ever used. You can't just tap the buttons, you really gotta jam it in there to get a response.

Which really makes reacting to things a pain in the ass. Not to mention its really distracting, and can really take you out of the experience.

I have two controllers, and they both act this way. Is this just the way its suppose to be? Cause... I'm not sure I like it very much.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Can't say ive ever had a problem with a genesis controller being unreponsive.Not unless the the one you're using has a worn out d-pad.Are you using the 3 button controller or 6 !? I ask because all ways found the 3 button to be to stiff while the 6 was just right,well for me any ways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Three-button controllers. And the D-pads is actually fine, its the buttons that I feel like I have to jam on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definitely not a common problem at all, I recommend the 6-button controllers. I find genesis controllers much more durable and resistant than Nintendo controllers actually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Three-button controllers. And the D-pads is actually fine, its the buttons that I feel like I have to jam on.
    I don't know maybe the 3 button you have has worn out buttons.Still like what schiggidyd suggested i'd suggest the 6 button controller,since it is very comfortable to use.I know i never like using the 3 button controller since i have small hands.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Time to replace the controller. You can find replacements fairly cheap as they made millions of controllers.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My gamegear's 2 button has a similar issue, but 1 is just fine. It's merely age and years of mashing taking its toll.

My genesis controllers, on the other hand, are pretty much perfect, and they're the original ones with red letters on the buttons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

There's no need to replace the controller or swap the type of pad you're using but you do need to spend about five minutes refurbishing the controller. Open it up and give the board surface a quick wipe with some isopropyl alcohol and wipe the rubber actuators down. Additionally (if you have the desire / time or the controller is pretty nasty inside) you can clean the buttons and the controller shell itself. I usually use dishwashing liquid for that.

Yes, you can just replace the controller. Yes, there are millions of controllers out there. However there's no need to and there's no need to toss stuff that's perfectly and easily repairable into the trash. Occasionally you'll get controllers that are just worn out, when I come across those they get parted out for replacement buttons, rubber, controller shells, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It should be standard practice to 'refurb' anything you buy that's that old.
    You don't know where it's been or what it's been through.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Like Insane David says, take the controller apart and clean the buttons. Dirt builds up around the button "holes," causing the buttons to stick. Also, if you are playing on a modern TV, there may be input lag.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Usually Genesis controllers work fine, but there are different quality controllers out there as Sega changed how they manufactured them over the years. They're probably just dirty though.

Insert Coin (Level 0) GizzyGames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Schiggidyd View Post
    Definitely not a common problem at all, I recommend the 6-button controllers. I find genesis controllers much more durable and resistant than Nintendo controllers actually.
    Going to have to agree. I think I find one Genesis controller thats broke for every 10 NES that is.

http://www.GizzyGames.com
    10% off for all DP members! Use code DIGIT at checkout!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    It should be standard practice to 'refurb' anything you buy that's that old.
    You don't know where it's been or what it's been through.
    I'm glad I'm not the only person who does things like wipe down old controllers and consoles when acquired. People who don't wouldn't believe the amount of dirt that comes off things like controller or AV cable cords.

There are a few people here I flat out refuse to do business with anymore because they sold me stuff, saying everything was great, at a price that would denote they actually - you know - had clean stuff, only for the items to arrive with things like leaves in the cartridge slots.

Even if old used stuff you buy works you should always give it a general tear down and cleaning. Isn't the objective to keep this stuff working for another 10, 20, 30 years so you can enjoy it without any hassle?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm. Maybe I should pull appart this Genises/CD Model 1 combo I just got and give all the contacts a good cleaning...

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That sounds like dirty button contacts. You can fix that easily by opening the controller up and taking an eraser to the contacts (black spots where the buttons touch the PCB).
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only person who does things like wipe down old controllers and consoles when acquired. People who don't wouldn't believe the amount of dirt that comes off things like controller or AV cable cords.
    Who doesn't do this? I clean whatever I get used, usually with paper towel and glass cleaner. It bugs me when I pick stuff up from craigslist only for it to be filthy to the touch. It's obvious it hasn't been used in ages so there's a good chance it's not working properly. The only time I don't is when I get things from people who are usually the original owner, when everything is still in the original packaging in near perfect shape. Stuff from thrift stores, flea markets, and yard sales get cleaned. Sometimes I have to clean books and DVD cases too.

Hmmm. Maybe I should pull appart this Genises/CD Model 1 combo I just got and give all the contacts a good cleaning...
    I do this whenever I get systems, I clean the cartridge connectors whenever I can. With Genesis/Sega CD bundles I do clean the joining connectors too.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I always clean the outside surfaces of a controller really well when I get a new one, but personally, I don't bother with opening them up and doing a full cleaning on the inside until an issue arises. Way too much of a pain otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0) 123►Genei-Jin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with everyone suggesting to open up and clean the controllers.

I completely disassemble everything I get no matter how clean it looks and soak all the plastic parts in soapy water and then use a tooth brush to finish the job (I even do this on Genesis/Master system boxes and all Cartridges)
    I clean all PCB with a small brush 1st and then use either isopropyl alcohol or contact cleaner to get them as clean as possible.
    I also use evapo-rust on any rusted parts I find.
    The only things I never open are carts with screws under stickers (like japanese Megadrive carts and SG-1000/Master System carts)
    I actually enjoy doing all of this.

Insert Coin (Level 0) GizzyGames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Who doesn't do this? I clean whatever I get used, usually with paper towel and glass cleaner. It bugs me when I pick stuff up from craigslist only for it to be filthy to the touch. It's obvious it hasn't been used in ages so there's a good chance it's not working properly. The only time I don't is when I get things from people who are usually the original owner, when everything is still in the original packaging in near perfect shape. Stuff from thrift stores, flea markets, and yard sales get cleaned. Sometimes I have to clean books and DVD cases too.

I do this whenever I get systems, I clean the cartridge connectors whenever I can. With Genesis/Sega CD bundles I do clean the joining connectors too.

I prefer using anti-bacterial wipes =)

http://www.GizzyGames.com
    10% off for all DP members! Use code DIGIT at checkout!

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

I have about a dozen Genesis pads. Never head a problem with any of them. Also maybe just me but anytime I get a new controller well I mean used. I clean the sucker like no tomorrow.

Life!? ... What console is that on?