Thread: GameShark LED Re-Enabling

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default GameShark LED Re-Enabling

So after reading up on which v3.3 GameSharks have parallel ports that worked, I wanted to see if mine contained the necessary chips to do so. Turns out it does, and it even has the LED counter installed with transistors and capacitors.

The only thing that seems to be missing is the SN74HC164D 8-BIT PARALLEL-OUT SERIAL SHIFT chip, wow that's a mouth full.

My question is, could I buy a replacement from digikey, have it soldered on and have the LED display enabled again?
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post
    So after reading up on which v3.3 GameSharks have parallel ports that worked, I wanted to see if mine contained the necessary chips to do so. Turns out it does, and it even has the LED counter installed with transistors and capacitors.

The only thing that seems to be missing is the SN74HC164D 8-BIT PARALLEL-OUT SERIAL SHIFT chip, wow that's a mouth full.

My question is, could I buy a replacement from digikey, have it soldered on and have the LED display enabled again?
    Yes as I've done it myself before. You can also install the parts necessary to get the parallel port functional which raises its resale value quite a bit. Parts were about $10 IIRC.

Never seen a GameShark that had the 7 sement display but none of the other components. Usually that model is missing everything including the 7 segment display.

This is the part I used that corresponds to what you have mentioned in your post:
    http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...08-1-ND/763377
    Last edited by APE992; 09-13-2012 at 05:08 PM.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by APE992 View Post
    Yes as I've done it myself before. You can also install the parts necessary to get the parallel port functional which raises its resale value quite a bit. Parts were about $10 IIRC.

Never seen a GameShark that had the 7 sement display but none of the other components. Usually that model is missing everything including the 7 segment display.

This is the part I used that corresponds to what you have mentioned in your post:
    http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...08-1-ND/763377
    A few months old just wanted to show you APE992 what my GameShark looks like, it's an odd one, being that it does have the Parallel port which I've yet to test and the I don't know what colour counter segment display and the only thing that's missing is that one little chip. Of course there's...something on the two left chips I have no idea what but they were like that when I took it apart and it was brand new in the box when I bought it:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps0a5eb663.jpg
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Looks like the 7 segment display won't work without the part.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?