Thread: Looking for Japanese only PSX import suggestions

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Looking for Japanese only PSX import suggestions

I'm specifically looking for suggestions on Japanese-only PSX games.

In particular those that can be played without actually knowing Japanese / without a guide.

Games like

- Magical Drop F
    - Money Idol Exchanger
    - Cotton Original,
    - Puyo Puyo Sun Ketteiban

etc come to mind...). Good games in all genres (except RPG's probably) welcome!

I tried searching digitpress.com for a similar thread but have not found one.
    Last edited by chrd; 10-05-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Internal Section - Great Tempest-like shooter. In my opinion, one of the best games on PS1.

Vib Ribbon - Pretty good rhythm game

Gamera 2000 - Action game that plays just like the Panzer Dragoon games.

Wizardry Llylgamyn Saga - A collection of the first three Wizardry Games. I'm assuming you said no RPGs because of the language barrier, but this game has an option to change most of the Japanese text into English.

Wizardry New Age of Llylgamyn - Includes the fourth and fifth Wizardry games. Has the same English language option as Llylgamyn Saga (although there is an arrange version for 4 that is Japanese only).

Simple 1500 Series Vol. 94 The Cameraman - Port of the PC Engine game Gekisha Boy. Action game where you take pictures of strange things that happen around town.

Silhouette Mirage - Yes, this was released in the US, but a lot of people prefer the Japanese version because of the changes Working Designs made to it (your weapon power drains as you use it, power ups cost more, enemies do more damage).

Gunner's Heaven - Action game that's similar to Gunstar Heroes.

Panzer Bandit - I've never played it, but I hear it plays like Guardian Heroes.

Tobal 2 - 3D fighter that I'm told is pretty good (I'm not really into 3D fighters)

Dance Dance Revolution Series - If you like the DDR series, try the Japanese versions. The Japanese 3rd and 5th mixes are my favorites.

Ore No Ryouri - Very good fast paced cooking game.

I'll list more as I think of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll second Vib Ribbon if you like kooky rhythm games. Plus it's practically infinite because it makes the levels off any audio CD you decide to stick in there.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scissors View Post
    Internal Section - Great Tempest-like shooter. In my opinion, one of the best games on PS1.

Vib Ribbon - Pretty good rhythm game

Gamera 2000 - Action game that plays just like the Panzer Dragoon games.

Wizardry Llylgamyn Saga - A collection of the first three Wizardry Games. I'm assuming you said no RPGs because of the language barrier, but this game has an option to change most of the Japanese text into English.

Wizardry New Age of Llylgamyn - Includes the fourth and fifth Wizardry games. Has the same English language option as Llylgamyn Saga (although there is an arrange version for 4 that is Japanese only).

Simple 1500 Series Vol. 94 The Cameraman - Port of the PC Engine game Gekisha Boy. Action game where you take pictures of strange things that happen around town.

Silhouette Mirage - Yes, this was released in the US, but a lot of people prefer the Japanese version because of the changes Working Designs made to it (your weapon power drains as you use it, power ups cost more, enemies do more damage).

Gunner's Heaven - Action game that's similar to Gunstar Heroes.

Panzer Bandit - I've never played it, but I hear it plays like Guardian Heroes.

Tobal 2 - 3D fighter that I'm told is pretty good (I'm not really into 3D fighters)

Dance Dance Revolution Series - If you like the DDR series, try the Japanese versions. The Japanese 3rd and 5th mixes are my favorites.

Ore No Ryouri - Very good fast paced cooking game.

I'll list more as I think of them.
    Thanks a lot, these are solid suggestions and I will look around a bit for them.

I did not know of the Wizardry's being able to be played in English, awesome!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I'll second Vib Ribbon if you like kooky rhythm games. Plus it's practically infinite because it makes the levels off any audio CD you decide to stick in there.
    Vib Ribbon looks nice indeed. There is a PAL version though (which can be found here easily, and also makes it a non Japanese exclusive )

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This also looks nice in the Beat 'em up departement: Tenchi wo Kurau II: Sekiheki no Tatakai (Port of the arcade 'Warriors of Fate')

Has anyone played it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gfs_11855_2_9_mid.jpg 
Views:	4162 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	5771  

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrd View Post
    This also looks nice in the Beat 'em up departement: Tenchi wo Kurau II: Sekiheki no Tatakai (Port of the arcade 'Warriors of Fate')

Has anyone played it?

Pretty sure that's on JPN Saturn too. Same with Silhoutte Mirage.

Off the top of my head....

These are a good start.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOd1UHaOwfI

Also you're typical responses like:

- Harmful Park
    - Zanac Neo
    - Gaia Seed
    - Adventures of Little Ralph

Less typical:

- Gear Fighter Dendoh
    - Grandoll (did this come out on Saturn too?)
    - Either the first or second Time Bokan game... I know one of them is on Saturn (shmups)

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrd View Post

Has anyone played it?

Yeah the psx port sucks and suffers from mass slowdown, Saturn port is arcade perfect...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    Yeah the psx port sucks and suffers from mass slowdown, Saturn port is arcade perfect...
    Thanks for posting this. I was just contemplating buying the PSX port, but now I'll refrain!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Umihara Kawase Shun: Speedrun platformer where you use a fishing pole to rubber band your way around levels. Think bionic commando, but with a bungee cord.
    Last edited by wingzrow; 11-15-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Internal Section is a cool rhythym/puzzle/space shooter.
    Extra Bright is a super fun Rail Shooter.
    Cowboy Bebop is a great Panzer Dragoon style shooter.
    The Adventures of Little Ralph is one of the best damn ps1 games Ive ever played, unfortunately its one of the pricier titles, but worth every penny for sure.
    Metal Jacket is a fun Mech title. Its a bit outdated but thats why I like it, It is one of only a handful of games made on the original ps1 "Rack" hardware to actually be released. Very nostalgic. Its a lot like Iron Soldier for the Jaguar.
    Baby Universe is a weird Kaleidoscope Simulator. Yes, Kaleidoscope simulator. I bought it on a whim for 4 bucks off ebay, definitely worth it if you can get it for cheap, its one of those qwirky Japanese "Non-Games"
    Microman is a fun Action platformer based on the 70s toyline Microman/Micronauts.
    Hokuto No Ken (NOT the first game released, the later one) is a fun Action/Beat em up.
    Tetris With Cardcaptor Sakura is one of the best Tetris ports Ive played, call me a girl, thats fine. This game rules!
    Hello Kitty White Present is a fun 3d Puzzle/action game.
    Dragon Beat is the best pinball game on the system.

Hope my suggestions help you in your quest! I have a ton more to suggest but must leave for work now.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    Internal Section is a cool rhythym/puzzle/space shooter.
    Extra Bright is a super fun Rail Shooter.
    Cowboy Bebop is a great Panzer Dragoon style shooter.
    The Adventures of Little Ralph is one of the best damn ps1 games Ive ever played, unfortunately its one of the pricier titles, but worth every penny for sure.
    Metal Jacket is a fun Mech title. Its a bit outdated but thats why I like it, It is one of only a handful of games made on the original ps1 "Rack" hardware to actually be released. Very nostalgic. Its a lot like Iron Soldier for the Jaguar.
    Baby Universe is a weird Kaleidoscope Simulator. Yes, Kaleidoscope simulator. I bought it on a whim for 4 bucks off ebay, definitely worth it if you can get it for cheap, its one of those qwirky Japanese "Non-Games"
    Microman is a fun Action platformer based on the 70s toyline Microman/Micronauts.
    Hokuto No Ken (NOT the first game released, the later one) is a fun Action/Beat em up.
    Tetris With Cardcaptor Sakura is one of the best Tetris ports Ive played, call me a girl, thats fine. This game rules!
    Hello Kitty White Present is a fun 3d Puzzle/action game.
    Dragon Beat is the best pinball game on the system.

Hope my suggestions help you in your quest! I have a ton more to suggest but must leave for work now.
    Wow, thanks a lot!

I will be on the lookout for these titles!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks! I just started importing Saturn and PSX, just picked up Gundam for PSX, have NO idea if its good. Great suggestions!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Radiantdawn View Post
    Thanks! I just started importing Saturn and PSX, just picked up Gundam for PSX, have NO idea if its good. Great suggestions!
    Which Gundam game? Chances are its awful. The Gundam Battle Masters games are good though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Adventure of Little Ralph has gotten noticed within the last few years, and is now commanding fair premiums. Over $100. Good game though - I bought one at $150 or so and I don't regret it, although I was only playing it for a couple days. It is a nice mixture of Adventure Island with some platforming and other stuff.

Another game on the PSX I'm fond of is Gungage. Technically, this isn't Japanese-only because it's on PAL systems, but it was never released for the NTSC-U region. It's a third-person shooter with an emphasis on staying alive for high scoring.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Xx KeNoH xX
    Steam
    Ken0h

if you know anything about the manga for these two i highly recommend, you can play these without knowing japanese ( i dont) :

Hokuto no ken (2000) by Bandai : awesome beat 'em up game with the original voice cast of the anime and goes through the first series (109 episodes)

Devilman : another awesome beat 'em up type game. the first half you play as akira fudo in a survival type garme, the last half you play as devilman and it becomes more like a beat 'em up.

I highly recommend these two.

I also strongly recommend LSD Dream Emulator but seeing as the cheapest I've seen it is $200 it may not be what you want to spend. It's one of the strangest games I've ever seen and I look forward to buying it one day myself.
    Last edited by Ken0h; 01-31-2014 at 08:50 PM. Reason: thought of another