Thread: This kind of relates to the Vga topic, Does resealed games bother you?

Insert Coin (Level 0) PROTOTYPE's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question This kind of relates to the Vga topic, Does resealed games bother you?

I have gotten games that I know have been resealed but have the Sony or Microsoft sticker on it so it was still was sealed when it was wrapped again. I've open one and it was indeed new inside.This is a really touchy topic on this, as it affects the resell price... what do you guys think?
    Last edited by PROTOTYPE; 10-16-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    If it's not fun? Your not really playing.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

People go crazy when it comes to that thin piece of plastic. The sealed collecting community is nuts. To me the only reason for "sealed" to have an appeal is that the buyer knows 100% that the package contains ALL of the material that originally came with the package, and that this material has not been rearranged by anyone.

Providing this information to the OCD of the collectors is worth a lot to them in how they store, arrange or present their collections:

I know a community of people online who collect and research the history of crayon boxes and upon finding some sealed items very cheaply (collector's tins) I was able to participate in helping them by providing information about just how the crayons in the box were factory arranged to promote the new colors. Instead of having the colors in their normal tiers, all 8 of the new ones were presented in the front bottom row while the rest were temporarily rearranged in what seems to be a random order. I had to unseal a sealed item to get this information but it had to be done and these tins are still fairly common because many people bought them just to have them for their limted time retired colors and stored them away.

For sealed video games, you could document all the crazy things people wonder about, such as which direction the cartridges face in the box, the order in which the manuals, consumer information booklets, magazine offers, posters, maps, mini comics, warranty or registration cards etc are stacked and which direction each of those face.

You see people ask these questions on here, so that must mean this information is valuable. Some people actually do want to know.

So I guess that is why re-sealed items have less value. With a resealed game, even if it is new there is no guarantee that this OCD info has not been tampered with. Only the original buyer would know IF they remember for sure what they did and did not do to it.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

I think resealing could protect games from shipping damage. Or make a collection more presentable. Other than that...
    Lum fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0) PROTOTYPE's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking Yes, I get that but,

I'm really asking about the resealing with game never have been open, as it still has the security label on it. But for some reason got Re-wrapped?
    If it's not fun? Your not really playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First off, I don't buy new/sealed games to place into a hope chest and then dream of retiring at 40 because I can sell my 5 copies of Halo special blah blah edition for teh thousands of dollars. I buy em to play.

All that said, I do NOT like the idea of resealed games. To me, it seems like the seller is trying to hide something, and that's just not cool with me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think reseals are annoying more than anything. I'd love to be in a perfect world with no reseals but that's never going to happen. You learn to deal with them.

I don't condone them and I would never do it myself, but if you reseal for your own protection then who cares. Now if you're trying to mimic a real seal that's a different story. Most veterans will see through it but there's new guys that would be fooled.

So far I've had the misfortune of buying a Mega Man 1 reseal and a couple of Gamecube reseals. I've been lucky everywhere else but even I make mistakes. Luckily I was able to return both games for a full refund, but I had to pay VGA grading fees on each.

People hate on VGA, but thanks to them, I became aware of the reseal and now have a better idea of what to look for. Much better to pay for the wisdom gained than to pay for a reseal that sits on your shelf undetected.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    The sealed collecting community is nuts.
    I had had just enough experience with this to make me never want to have anything to do with trading sealed games ever again. 'Nuff said.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Yes, that does bother me. Big time!

I'm a perfectionist and I try to collect the most perfect games I can justify spending the money. That means I don't buy a lot of sealed games. They just aren't worth what people are asking for them. At least not to me. Mainly because I'm just going to open them and play them. However, if I were being sold a game as "sealed" then I want the factory seal. Selling it that way is misleading and I see no reason to re-seal a game unless you're trying to rip people off.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD