Thread: Need help with Sega CD Model 1

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Need help with Sega CD Model 1

I am having trouble getting my Sega CD to work properly. The system powers on just fine. The CD tray opens and I put a disc on it and it closes just fine. It starts to play the Sega Logo comes on the screen Sonic comes on a waves his finger and the Sega theme plays and everything and then.... Either the copyright screen comes on or the title screen depending on the game. It won't go anywhere past that. It's like the game freezes up or something. I've tried to get it to work with numerous discs but to no avail. Sometimes it works perfectly after some time of not playing it and then other times it messes up like this. I don't know what is causing this so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I put in Snatcher and it still has the black screen (A trademark of Konami ie licensed by Sega) with the demo music playing in the background but no picture. If I press the reset button on the Genesis it won't reset. I have to turn it completely off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First, are you using CDRs or actually pressed SegaCD games? Model 1s sometimes have issues with CDRs versus legitimate pressed games.

From the description though it sounds like either:

1) The laser needs adjustments using the potentiometers in the assembly

OR

2) The capacitors on the system are going bad and need to be replaced

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let me add an alternative as well. If the system has ever been repaired to adjust the switch that the laser assembly presses that tells it it's at the end of the line and to stop, sometimes that can get a little off. I had that problem with one of the systems I just repaired. It would get somewhere in the game and then need to read the inner track and just fail because it couldn't quite reach it. In the end, I removed one of the pieces of padding I had added and the system then worked as expected.

xlement5x is probably more correct, but if you're digging in there anyway you can check and see what's up with that switch with little to no effort, so you may as well look at it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

I am using both real Sega CD's as well as CDRs... On the real sega Cd's they will start up and I start playing a game, then 30 seconds in it freezes up. With the CDR's it gets to start logo screen and then freezes. The CDR's were playing just fine before. When I bought this Sega CD Model 1 off of Ebay the previous owner told me that sometimes it wouldn't work and then it would work great for awhile. I have already taken the top off and removed the heat shields and cleaned all the cards really well. There is no dust build up on the inside. I wonder if my problem has anything to do with the lens and it just needs cleaning or needs replacing. Any help is greatly appreciated Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    First, are you using CDRs or actually pressed SegaCD games? Model 1s sometimes have issues with CDRs versus legitimate pressed games.

From the description though it sounds like either:

1) The laser needs adjustments using the potentiometers in the assembly

OR

2) The capacitors on the system are going bad and need to be replaced

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Update: So I took my Model 1 apart. I cleaned really good on the lens with isopropyl. I cleaned all the cards really well with an eraser. There is no dust residue or anything else that shouldn't be in there. I checked all of the compacitors none of them were leaking. I got everything back together. I put in Sonic CD. I played 3 levels of the game and got a game over screen. Then it froze and wouldn't load up a continue. I was playing a CDR version. I still think it has something to do with the lens. Does anyone know of any place online that I could it to to be repaired? I've searched the internet and haven't found anywhere that did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badcompany_25 View Post
    I am using both real Sega CD's as well as CDRs... On the real sega Cd's they will start up and I start playing a game, then 30 seconds in it freezes up. With the CDR's it gets to start logo screen and then freezes. The CDR's were playing just fine before. When I bought this Sega CD Model 1 off of Ebay the previous owner told me that sometimes it wouldn't work and then it would work great for awhile. I have already taken the top off and removed the heat shields and cleaned all the cards really well. There is no dust build up on the inside. I wonder if my problem has anything to do with the lens and it just needs cleaning or needs replacing. Any help is greatly appreciated Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raymondlyd
    PSN
    soniccd

Default re

Hi guys i use window cleaner for the laser cleaner i use a q tip dip it in the blue window cleaner and after its diped in just shake it a bit away from any eletronics
    and then clean the laser lens worked for my laptop and my computer drives and makes the lens look more bule as it should be.

As for the lasers are easy replaceable i can get them for £17.99 shipped.
    kss-240 are the cheaper drives.

But check all the 10 uf caps on the main board of the Sega CD there always leaked or dried out.

As a caution replace that ml2032 backup ram battery once you get the console sorted.

As model ones are hard to come by now days.