Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New Shadowgate for 2014

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Thumbs up A New Shadowgate for 2014

Who here remembers the classic Shadowgate adventure game for NES, Game Boy Color, Mac, Apple IIGS, Atari ST, Amiga, DOS, Windows, Mobile, Palm OS, and Pocket PC? I sure do, and the Wikipedia article I got that platform listing from does as well!

Shadowgate is easily one of my favorite NES games. You can imagine how thrilled I was to find out it is getting a... half-remake, half-sequel in the form of Shadowgate (2013). The game will follow the original story, but with remade graphics, a rearranged score recorded with real instruments and chanting, tweaked and new puzzles, and additional rooms.

All of the new backgrounds are "hand-drawn paintings." Granted, they are not drawn with actual paint but Photoshop; however as you can see from this time-lapsed video of the artist at work, they could have easily been made on a canvas with oils as the man is an artist first-class!

Shadowgate returns with fancy new digital effects overlaid on the backgrounds with an orchestral soundtrack for the requisite epic-ness and ambiance, but for all us old school gamers, both the original NES soundtrack and classic UI are available as well in the options menu.

Zojoi, the company behind the remake and helmed by the original creators, is seeking some Kickstarter funding to finish the game. Right now the total sits at $77,739 out of its $120,000 goal. So if you want to see this thing reach fruition sooner rather than later, pitch your pennies in its direction. Either way, here's to more of the engrossing Shadowgate!
    Last edited by Nz17; 11-22-2014 at 11:46 AM. Reason: This game ended up being released in 2014, not 2013, so this thread was retitled for accuracy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Moar crowdfunding.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back in my C-64 days I longed for Shadowgate. My local game store had in for the Atari ST; the black and white graphics looked superb and high resolution next to the C-64 games. Wanted to buy an Atari ST but never managed to. Still looking, but they came and went so quickly.

Thanks for the heads up, and maybe a second chance at Shadowgate.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Talking

It is here: the greatly -expanded- and -overhauled- Shadowgate has finally arrived! It turned out to have an August 21, 2014 release date after all, and thus has arrived for Macintosh and Windows. Expect versions for Android and iOS to follow soon, probably in the next two months.

What's that you say? You are interested but you don't know if you are ready to buy? Well those generous folks over at Zojoi (which developed this new version of Shadowgate) licensed the original NES music from Kemco (that version's musics' rights' holder) and made it available within the game itself as an option in the configuration menu. That's not enough? Well Zojoi also added the original room transition effects from the NES release. That's still not enough for you? Well, post-release they are going to add a cool "retro graphics" mode to the game too! Of course the content which is already there with its incredible musical score and (digitally) hand-painted graphics is already excellent, but it is nice to have these NES configurations as extra options.

And even if you don't want to buy, how about these free MP3 downloads of the original NES soundtrack which Zojoi has made available? No charge! Go on, give it a click!

For more information and to get your own copy of the game, please see:

The Official Shadowgate (2014) Web Site
    Humble Bundle's DRM-free version of the game ($15), the +wallpapers & calendar bundle ($20), and the +soundtrack & artbook bundle ($25)
    Shadowgate on Steam
    Original-releases-to-new-remake comparison trailer

Personally, I have been playing the beta version of Shadowgate and it is excellent. Prepare to thump your skull with your forefinger while you try to figure out some of these puzzling situations!

...It is a sad thing that your adventures have ended here.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I can't wait to play this soon!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I can't find it on the android store, this coming later? I'm not going to pay $30 for a DRM-Steam version of the game on computer as the tablet would be more suited I think for this one anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

If they can now redo Uninvited...!
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

1. The Android & iOS versions will be released later, possibly by the end of the year.
    2. It's only $30 for the special edition, and the regular edition is $20, but for now both are discounted by 10% to celebrate the launch of the game.
    3. It is already available DRM-free with no need for a Steam account. Just get it from Humble Bundle, either here for the DRM-free regular edition or here for the DRM-free special edition.
    4. The company is hoping to redo all of its classic adventure games and even make sequels where it can. Here's to the future!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

THat's good to know android and steam free. I had no idea the Humble Bundle version lacked that. If there's one thing I have to complain about with that group/site is they used to say if a game in a bundle was or wasn't bound to steam either straight up or in the sub-page set up to show system requirements.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Smile A Few Passages from the Library of Shadowgate

I thought that you lot would enjoy these passages from the tomes within the library of castle Shadowgate. Can you name all four references?

Book #1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	294440_screenshots_2014-09-02_00001.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	7588

Book #2

Name:	294440_screenshots_2014-09-02_00002.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	7589

Book #3

Name:	294440_screenshots_2014-09-02_00003.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	7590

Book #4

Name:	294440_screenshots_2014-09-02_00004.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	7591

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't have a clue on the third, but the others oh yes. That fourth one is truly fantastic as is the first. It's nice seeing some historical plugs put into books in that game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I am also stumped on the third. Could it be "Leave it to Beaver"?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Yes, the library in Shadowgate can be quite the treat. In it are books referring to real-world novels, prose with excerpts from classical myths, tomes with obscured passages containing pop culture references, and even books with entries that build on in-game lore. As a matter of fact, if you like games which contain lots of scrolls, notes, journals, etc., that help build up the in-game background and story, Shadowgate (2014) is primed with that stuff... even things that make sly references to the original Shadowgate.

And now for the answers to the screenshot challenge:

Book #1
    Dragon's Lair

Book #2
    Professor Layton

Book #3
    Fullmetal Alchemist

Book #4
    Lupin III (Castle of Cagliostro)

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

That looks fantastic!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I'll definitely pick it up when it comes out for iOs. Wish they could do a 3ds version too....
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I believe that the developer, Zojoi, will be making the Shadowgate remake's port to Android and iOS with the intention of it being playable on tablets due to the large resolution of the artwork. Believe it or not, on desktop computers the game can run in up to "4K" resolution (meaning 4x higher resolution than 1080p). So for the sake of playability and not having to majorly rework the UI, the game might not be available for smartphones... or at least this year's smartphones. Perhaps it will run on phones released three years from now.

By the way, Zojoi has already begun work on a remake of Beyond Shadowgate, the 1993 sequel to Shadowgate which you might remember from the TurboGrafx CD. Its due date is 2016, a mere two years from now.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sometimes I lie awake at night waitin' for the grim reaper come harvest my cyber-spirit, and it's all shadowy and dark in my lil' bedroom, that's when I dimly remember postin' in this here thread some fifty seven years ago.

All my friends done dead and gone and my robot love servant ground itself out of warranty, ain't nothin' to look forward to what with the blase ephemera of the ultra-internet which fails to resonate with a jaded senior citizen such as myself. That's why I reflect and look inward on the past, I mine my subsiding neural pathways one last time, for the lashes of happier times.
    Last edited by Kaine2071; 09-19-2014 at 02:24 AM.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Exclamation Awesome "Thanksgiving" Sale

Name:	buynowretro.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	7755

This weekend only, Shadowgate (2014) is merely $7! This includes the new UI update, the new Hallowe'en quest, the two new difficulty modes (casual and IRONMAN), and as an extra special treat, Apple ][gs and Mac 128K versions of Déjà Vu and Shadowgate! That's right, the awesome re-imagining of Shadowgate with all the improvements since launch, plus two Apple and two Mac classics. That's like five (two) games for the price of one!

The sale starts today in less than 30 minutes and will last for 2 days. If you haven't gotten the new Shadowgate yet, this is an excellent time to buy! After all, it would be a sad thing if your adventures ended here. ;-)

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Man, Shadowgate has sure come along way. Jeez, I remember playing it with my uncle on his Amiga back in the day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow now that's impressive. I wasn't much for it despite all the work (sorry) at the usual price because I've played out the NES and GBC versions before but this is very tempting.

Now to figure out what that special edition is for $13 and change.

Wasn't this supposed to hit android/ios?
    Last edited by Tanooki; 11-22-2014 at 06:14 PM.