Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Thumbs up A New Shadowgate for 2014

Who here remembers the classic Shadowgate adventure game for NES, Game Boy Color, Mac, Apple IIGS, Atari ST, Amiga, DOS, Windows, Mobile, Palm OS, and Pocket PC? I sure do, and the Wikipedia article I got that platform listing from does as well!

Shadowgate is easily one of my favorite NES games. You can imagine how thrilled I was to find out it is getting a... half-remake, half-sequel in the form of Shadowgate (2013). The game will follow the original story, but with remade graphics, a rearranged score recorded with real instruments and chanting, tweaked and new puzzles, and additional rooms.

All of the new backgrounds are "hand-drawn paintings." Granted, they are not drawn with actual paint but Photoshop; however as you can see from this time-lapsed video of the artist at work, they could have easily been made on a canvas with oils as the man is an artist first-class!

Shadowgate returns with fancy new digital effects overlaid on the backgrounds with an orchestral soundtrack for the requisite epic-ness and ambiance, but for all us old school gamers, both the original NES soundtrack and classic UI are available as well in the options menu.

Zojoi, the company behind the remake and helmed by the original creators, is seeking some Kickstarter funding to finish the game. Right now the total sits at $77,739 out of its $120,000 goal. So if you want to see this thing reach fruition sooner rather than later, pitch your pennies in its direction. Either way, here's to more of the engrossing Shadowgate!
    Last edited by Nz17; 11-22-2014 at 11:46 AM. Reason: This game ended up being released in 2014, not 2013, so this thread was retitled for accuracy.