Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Convertors!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Convertors!

First.....topic....so.....difficult!

Ok...as you all may know, there are a ton of different convertors for your importing needs for most systems! This thread can be to discuss the merits of the different convertors and their costs, dowsides, etc! For starters, I'll list the few I have, and what they do and such:

Genesis/Mega Drive:

Mega Key (black w/yellow label) - The Mega Key is a wonderful all-in-one convertor for the Mega Drive. It unlocks PAL as well as NTSC Jp games for any Genesis, including the Sega CDX! Very nice convertor, passthrough with dip switches. Downside - They're kinda hard to find and kinda spendy. Price - $50-60 average, but can be had as low as $20-30 if you're lucky

Skeleton Convertor - The skeleton convertor for the Mega Drive is a straight passthough convertor that allows you to play Jp Mega Drive games on a US system. No goodies, no perks, just Jp games. It's got no case, so it's not pretty, but it works! Downside - No PAL support. Price - $20-30 usually, sometimes more, sometimes less

NES:

Honeybee convertor - The most common convertor I've ever seen....has a 60-72 pin convertor in it, stragiht passthrough, so you just pop a Famicom cart on, pop it in your NES, and you're good to go! These are VERY common, as well as there being a bunch of knockoff ones, so easy to come by. They have a ribbon to allow you to pull the convertor and game out so that it doesn't get stuck inside your NES (unless you have a top loader, then no worries). Downside - Really isn't one! Price - $5-10, don't overpay for these!

Saturn:

ST-Key - The ST-Key is one of the easier convertors to get. It pops in the memory card slot of your Saturn. Then when you turn the Saturn on, it goes to a boot screen for the ST-Key, you select Start Application from the main Saturn menu, and you're playing imports! Easy to use, easy to find. Downside - With the straight ST-Key, you can't play imports that require the RAM expansion, and you can only save to internal memory, which isn't so useful if your battery is dead! Price - $10-15, also very inexpensive!

TG16/Duo:

TV Game Computer Cartridge Convertor - This is one of the less well known Duo/TG16 convertors. It comes in black and white. The black is smaller and only fits TG16 systems, while the white is taller and fits the Duo slot if you remove the huCard lid. Basically, pop this into the TG16/Duo port and put a Jp huCard into it and it'll play it! The TV GCCC convertors are a funny shape, but not nearly as irritatingly long as the "diving board" convertors also available for the TG16/Duo. Downside - Good luck finding one...they're rare as hell, and sometimes huCards take a couple tries to seat properly in it. Price - $60-75 average, sometimes higher, sometimes lower, but don't expect to find one under $50!

That's all I've got for now, but as I get more, or more info, I'll list more of em! Feel free to add more convertors to the list, along with your thoughts on em!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Saturn:

Sega Satellite

Features:

Plays JPN, PAL & US games on all systems
    $9.90

Action Replay (called 4 in 1 or 5 in 1 sometimes)

Features:

1 M ram and or 4 M (depending on the cart)
    Memory manager
    Cheat device
    Allows play of JPN, PAL & US games on any system

Can be bought for $19 - $30 depending on where you buy them. Please be aware that sometimes the ram will not work, even with new carts. There is a fix you can do inside, but I never have done it. Also, sometimes they are dead, right out of the box. Keep this in mind too!

There are many different varietys of this cart. The AR by EMS is the most popular version you will find. It just so happens I have a bunch of new ones to sell.

Play Station:

PS-X-Change v2.0

Features:

Plays imports on PS & PS One
    You can add code to defeat anti-mod protection
    Only works with single disc games
    $19

Gold Finger

Features:

Same as Mini Game Hunter (could be the same item)
    $15

Mini Game Hunter 2M Lite

Features:

Memory card manager
    Cheat device
    Allows you to watch in game video
    I believe there are two more features, but I can't recall.

Works on model 100 and 700 systems only. Plugs into expansion port. I don't know much about them, sorry.

Dreamcast:

DC-X

Features:

Allows the play of JPN, PAL & US games on any system.
    Has VGA support.
    (I will edit this once I get the other features)

DC-IE

Features:

Plays imports (I assume just like the DC-X)

Lik-Sang states that this item is, "Blaze's DCX OEM production for Interact".
    $12.99

Cheats and Codes (I think that's what it's called?!? x_x)

Features:

Plays imports
    (I will edit this once I get the other features)

Game Shark Lite

Features:

Cheat device
    Plays imports
    $14.99

Game Cube:

Action Replay

Features:

Cheat device
    Play imports
    $36.95

Free Loader

Features:

Plays JPN, PAL & US games on any system
    Works for multi disc games
    $19.90

N64:

Passport Adapter Version III

Features:

Cheat device
    $21

SNES/SFC:

Super Magic Converter

Features:

Not compatible with FX chip games
    $14.90

Genesis/Megadrive:

Honey Bee Game Adaptor

Features:

US Games on Japanese Consoles
    Japanese Games on US and PAL consoles
    PAL games on Japanese Consoles
    Will not work with games that have 'Lock-Out' protection
    $9.99

I have a few of these items, but used several sites for info on the rest. Check here or here for some of the items I listed.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Know any other good places for this stuff?
    I take it even with the converter any text will still be Japanese then?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NES:

Gamekey Adaptor by Horelec

This is a pretty big converter. It justs slides in like your normal cart, only you have to put two NES carts on the part of the converter that's on the outside of your NES. Back: game cart that's the same region as your NES. Front: Import game.

On the box it says it will only convert US games into PAL. I'm not sure if it will work the other way around too... And it doesn't play JAP games.

Saturn:

Saturn Universal Game Adaptor by Super UFO

- Supposed to play any region software on whatever Saturn you'd like to play them on. I haven't been able to test this as I only have European hardware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    Most of the older convertors are hell to find, and yes, they leave 99% of games in the laguage they're programmed in. Conveniently, some of the better Jp imports are IN English already (those wacky Japs!) and any PAL games will have an English language setting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    What are you looking for?

There are no language convertors that I know of. That can be confusing when people call the region switch mod a "language switch". Like Max said a lot of games have English in them. You will find anywhere from just the title screen, title screen and menus, to the full game being in English. If you don't play RPGs, some adventure games and dating sims you'll be ok without English. This is one area Game FAQs is actually good for! There are some Japanese members that do menu translations and or walk throughs to help in some games. Plus, there are a few Americans thrown in that speak the language and have done the same. If you see a title you're interested in give the site a look and see what's there if anything. Most of the obsure titles you're on your own, but main stream games should be there. Or you can check JVG Fanatic for Japanese game info... if the site loads that is. He was moving and that URL doesn't work for me, I'll e mail and find out what's up.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I swear by my Magic Key III (Genesis), ST Key (SS) and Honeybee (NES).

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone know the differences between the various Mega Keys?

I picked up a Super Mega Key for 20 beans not too long ago. It has the dip switches and what not. Is it the same thing as a "Mega Key"? Because thats what its says on the back of it.
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

This is an excellent topic. I'm stickying it so hopefully people will look here first for this info.

(Yeah...I know...it's a long shot, but you never know. )

Also, let me throw in a few more...

Genny:

I believe the Game Shark will work in most cases. You may need to find the codes and enter them each time, which kinda sucks, but these are easy to find.

Saturn:

Some of the thrid party "mega" memory cards will bypass region lock out. I have one, I think it's an Innovation, and it works. An undocumented feature, for sure.

DC:

I mention this cautiously, but the infamous Utopia boot disc which you can find on the web is an excellent swap disc for imports. That's what I use and I've never had a problem.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Datel Pro CDX cart: Plays Japanese and PAL MegaCD's on a US SegaCD.
    72-60 pin adpater: Plays Nes games on a Gameaxe or Famicom system

Does anyone have or know where I can get a converter to play PAL games on my Snes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bighab
    Datel Pro CDX cart: Plays Japanese and PAL MegaCD's on a US SegaCD.
    72-60 pin adpater: Plays Nes games on a Gameaxe or Famicom system

Does anyone have or know where I can get a converter to play PAL games on my Snes?
    Check Lik-Sang.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    DC:

I mention this cautiously, but the infamous Utopia boot disc which you can find on the web is an excellent swap disc for imports. That's what I use and I've never had a problem.
    The Utopia disc I use from time to time has never given me a problem either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    DC:

The Utopia disc I use from time to time has never given me a problem either.
    I agree. I DLed a Utopia disc and burned it and it works like a charm with EVERYTHING.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

NES:
    Game Key, it was already mentioned but there's also a version that looks like a Game Genie.

SNES:
    Super Fire converter and Super Fire FX converter
    First one isn't compatible with games that have the Super FX chip in them.
    Second one partially works with Super Mario RPG and FInal Fantasy III, but screw up later in the game.

UD-29 Universal Adapter
    Works with Super FX games. Doesn't work at all with Super Mario RPG. There's also an Upgrade version.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And I believe the Pro Action Replay, both for SNES and Genesis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Saturn:

Super Pro Action Replay 5 in 1 +

The last converter you will ever need for your Saturn. It's a 4mb RAM cart, backup cart, cheat code device, memory manager, and region bypass. You can save your games on it, use it with games that use 1 or 4mb of RAM (like some of the fighting games), apply PAR codes and play Japanese games on American Saturns. The only problem is that these bad boys tend to die early. I had one for about 3 years, then suddenly it konked out. I bought another, and it's been going strong for 2 years so far. I've read that taking the cart out of the Saturn and putting it in creates some static that kills the chips, so I'm leaving it in there all the time.

Dreamcast:

Gameshark

I had some problems with the Utopia boot disc, namely with Capcom games. Marvel vs Capcom, Mars Matrix, and Street Fighter III Third Strike wouldn't load. No problems at all with the Gameshark, however, which is a boot disc and a memory card. Besides having codes for games on it (if you like that sort of thing), it plays all imports (at least all of mine) flawlessly, and the memory card can be used to save all games just like an official DC VMU. Complaint: The memory card is ugly as sin, a black card with the gameshark logo on the top that barely fits in the second DC controller slot and won't fit in the first at all. You'll have to put it in the second slot of a second controller if you want to use your jolt pack.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dreamcast:

there are some games the Utopia BootCD's dont handle.. for instance.
    US Time Stalkers on PAL DC
    US EGG on PAL DC

reason is quite simple.. both games have PAL / RGB protection can be patched on backedup copys.. but still wont work using Orginal copies.

timestalkers do boot but screen looks totaly screwed up
    egg immitates a boot and then fails and falls back to the dc title screen.
    Broken? fix it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    Most of the older convertors are hell to find, and yes, they leave 99% of games in the laguage they're programmed in. Conveniently, some of the better Jp imports are IN English already (those wacky Japs!) and any PAL games will have an English language setting.
    Sorry that my post isn't about Convertors, but do you mean that some JP imports are released in the US in english, or in Japan in english?

And if it's the second guess, can you list some games?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VACRMH
    Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    Sorry that my post isn't about Convertors, but do you mean that some JP imports are released in the US in english, or in Japan in english?

And if it's the second guess, can you list some games?
    I mean that some Japanese imports are released in Japan in English. Please feel free to start a thread asking about it and I'll list a few to get it going...trying to keep this thread about convertors!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

TG16

KISADO : The best tg16 converter, works with all games and add on cards like Arcade Cards. Getting hard to find, expect to pay $$ for one..

TZD/Telegames Converters : Havent used one myself but have been informed they dont work with Arcade Cards ...
    Currently Looking For :
    Magical Chase TG16 Manual
    TG16 Order of the Griffon Complete Mint
    TG16 Chew Man Fu Complete Mint
    PAL Dreamcast Samba De Amigo - Box
    Dragon Warrior 2 - Mint Box, Dragon Warrior 1 - 4 Mint Maps, Dragon Quest Guide Books