Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Convertors!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't think I've seen anybody mention the Freeloader yet, but it's a great swap disc import enabler for GameCube.

Does anybody know where I can get a Mega Key? Every time I've tried to buy one on ePay the listing gets cancelled. I need one so I can play The Wily Wars (I tried it on my Nomad and still got a lockout message).

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did anyone mention this?

NES

Famicom adaptor. Cheap. Can be found in some earlier NES games like Gyromite. You open up the game, take it off and use it.

Just wondering. Wasn't sure if anyone had mentioned it.
    The epitome of evil lies not in what you do to your enemies, but the intensity and dedication you put into it.

This shirt's too tight, Billy!- Lex Luger's infamous NWA Cyberspace promo

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Keir to the nth power
    Of all the different converters that will let you play Japanese Hucards on a US system, does anyone know which is best for a Laseractive with the NEC module? Some of them look like they wouldn't even fit, the diving board kind looks like it would work but I'm afraid it's not going to be sturdy.

I didn't even care until I found out about Battle Lode Runner. Four-player Lode Runner? I’m all over that!
    i'd be interested what kisado(?) converter looks like?
    I already have two different types of converters.

cheers

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Will a gameshark work for playing imports on an N64?

Either the GAMESHARK VERSION 2.1 or GAMESHARK PRO 3.0 or 3.3?

For use with Sin and Punishment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: ..

Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfunkel
    I am pretty sure that a Mega Key 3 will do the trick also. But the Nitro 2 is the only one I know for sure will do it. I just got a brand new one for $20

I keep meaning to pick up a couple more GA3s .. then I could try it with the other converters I have kicking around here and give some feedback ..

Vroomfunkel
    I just picked up Xenon 2 for European Mega Drive and went to play it using my Game Genie, but with no luck, of course I didn't have any codes for it. The message says it will only work on a European Mega Drive. I suppose this must be the region lockout. So I need to get a new convertor. Which one do you recommend? Magic Key, Mega Key, or Nitro 2? Also is the Honey Bee just a straight through skeleton converter? Thanks!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I heartily recomend the Nitro 2 - I have not found anything that it will not play, on any system. However, I just got a Magic Key III today, which I have heard very good things about. I'm gonna give it a whirl when I get back tonight, with Alien Soldier and Mega Man on the Nomad, and see what it can do.

Vroomfunkel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recommend the Mega Key myself. It plays everything including the lockoout games with no issues.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    duoconflywheels

I heartily recomend the Nitro 2 - I have not found anything that it will not play, on any system.
    Question is though, just where can you find a Nitro 2 converter?!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Hmm

The trouble with Mega Key adapters is that there are a large amount of adapters floating around that call themselves "Mega Key" adapters, and not all of them do work with lockout carts. I have been stung by that one before :/

In my opinion, the Nitro 2 is a safe bet, because as far as I know there aren't any dodgy knock-offs of it that also call themselves "Nitro 2". If you get a Nitro 2 then you know you've got the real deal ...

Vroomfunkel

P.S. In answer to previous question .. watch my auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Hmm

The trouble with Mega Key adapters is that there are a large amount of adapters floating around that call themselves "Mega Key" adapters, and not all of them do work with lockout carts. I have been stung by that one before :/

In my opinion, the Nitro 2 is a safe bet, because as far as I know there aren't any dodgy knock-offs of it that also call themselves "Nitro 2". If you get a Nitro 2 then you know you've got the real deal ...

Vroomfunkel

P.S. In answer to previous question .. watch my auctions
    Do you have a link to your auctions? Not sure if you go by the same name on ebay?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Converters

Nitro 2 + Alien Soldier:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8148057773

Magic Key III + Mega Man: The Wily Wars:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8148057812

Both tested on territory locked games (Alien Soldier, Mega Man, Yu Yu Hakushu Battle) and work fine.

Don't know if I already mentioned this, but there is a code for the Game Genie that will allow you to play Yu Yu Hakushu, which is a territory locked game. I don't know if the same code will work for all others, but it might be worth a try.

Vroomfunkel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just bought a Datel Universal Adapter for my Mega Drive.

And I can't seem to get it to work in either my Mega Drive, or Mega Drive II.

When I first put it in, it came up with a yellow screen. Now, it's nothing more than a black display. Connectors have been cleaned, and still no result.

It also has a two-setting switch on the side.

I don't want to assume it's broken, because my Datel Pro CDX cartridge did the same thing when I first bought it. Now it works perfectly.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide on getting this thing to work!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

any idea how to use this thing?

cheers

Strawberry (Level 2) GunPanther's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dj898
    any idea how to use this thing?

cheers

Yes. I have one almost exactly like it attached to my old model Playstation.

Mine is called the "Gold Finger", but it has the exact same shape and design of an Action Replay.

Anyway, that particular device in the picture is designed for the first and second generation Playstation (32-bit) consoles, which still have the I/O port on the back/right of the console.

Once you plug that puppy into the I/O port, you can toggle the switch on (up) or off (down).

It works as not only a Gameshark/Action Replay, where you input codes to 'hack' the PS1 games, but it should also work as a 'media' viewer where you can access ".bin" movie and sound files straight from the PS1 disc.

In addition to the above mentioned features, it also acts as a Memory Card manager that has a seemingly more presentable (IMHO) appearance as opposed to the standard PS1 Memory Manager.

Hope this info helps.

GunPanther
    "Sometimes you just have to shoot their limbs to get their attention."

Good traders: Querjek, k8track, youruglyclone

http://users.ign.com/collection/gymleader_panther

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

great thanks!

about your PAL TV issue your only bet will be one of those PAL->NTSC device from like lik-sang or others...

we PAL users don't have such problem as our PAL TV can sync with pretty much anything - well as long as within PAL/NTSC/SECAM spec... o_O

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always preferred modding a system over converters. It just adds another step you have to take when you want to play a game. Here are some alternatives to adapters:

Turbografx-16: I added a switch, allowing me to switch between PC Engine and Turbografx-16 modes. It seems to work perfectly, but installing it required a lot of wiring. I hear the import adapters for the TG-16 can be a little twitchy, whereas this works all the time.

Genesis 3: The Genesis 3 already has a slot large enough to take Japanese Megadrive games, so no modding is needed there. To get past the software lockout, I sort of had to use trial and error since my circuit board was laid out totally differently than the examples on GameSX. I rigged it up so that all you have to do is hold down the reset button while powering it up to make it enter Megadrive mode. Seems to work on all games with no hassle. It was worth the effort, since the mod is just one wire.

Sega CD: I've used SCD_Conv and wasn't happy with the results. Some of the games I wanted to play wouldn't work, and I didn't want to have to burn copies of all Mega CD games. I also didn't want to pay out the nose for one of those adapter cartridges. I ended up adding a multibios instead. With the flip of a switch, I can change it from Sega CD to MegaCD modes, and it works with every game I've tried with it. I also tried making a single universal BIOS by altering the boot code, but I discovered the code I'd need to change is compressed and I don't know the compression algorithm.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

TurboGrafx:

"Diving Board" style converter. It's pale green & the official name for it escapes me at this time. Since I only have a copy of Wonder Momo (which works fine), I don't know how reliable it is with the rest of the PC Engine library.

NES:

A converter that I liberated from a copy of Gyromite. Since the cart bay on my standard issue NES is deep for a Fami cart w/converter, I think I'm gonna scoop up a Neo Fami instead.
    I had a lovers quarrel with the world.
    -Robert Frost

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dj898
    Quote Originally Posted by Keir to the nth power
    Of all the different converters that will let you play Japanese Hucards on a US system, does anyone know which is best for a Laseractive with the NEC module? Some of them look like they wouldn't even fit, the diving board kind looks like it would work but I'm afraid it's not going to be sturdy.

I didn't even care until I found out about Battle Lode Runner. Four-player Lode Runner? I’m all over that!
    i'd be interested what kisado(?) converter looks like?
    I already have two different types of converters.

cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

[quote="hu6800"]
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhaboobi
    TG16
    the converter to hook the supergrafx up to a pcengine cdrom drive?
    To hu6800

It's not realy a converter it's just a adapter to use the (SuperGrafix) on the (PCE cd-rom drive).Still it's not the only way to, play (PCE-CD) games on a SuperGrafix.Just find a Super CD-rom II unit and plug the SG in 'no adapters needed at all

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

like this...