Thread: Convertors!

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Porksta View Post
    I got mine at a thrift store.
    Who is clueless enough to take that type of a thing into a thrift store? I mean somebody had to have known what the adapter was when they originally purchased it and I'm sure they had to at least look for it a little.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    duoconflywheels

My wife and I finally got into our new house and I spent all night getting my game room set up. All my test runs on the consoles have worked perfectly except one, my Sega CDX. Regular Sega CD games work fine, but I can't get it to play my Mega CD games w/ my recently acquired Datel Pro CDX cartridge.

After a little more research I see that this adapter isn't compatiable w/ my CDX system...much to my surprise after I was told by several different resources that it would work. So what am I to do now in order for my Mega CD games to be played? Ditch the CDX system in favor for a Genesis II w/ CD add-on?

Has anyone used a Datel Pro CDX catridge w/ success on a Genesis II CD system to play Mega CD games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For some reason, I always thought Dreamcast was region-free. Of course, I never tried the copy of Biohazard: Code Veronica I had in the 2 years I owned it (being a game collector and being verry busy don't mix. I think I've played about an 1/8th of my collection). So I finally did try it last night after reading about the DC converters mentioned here and naturally it didn't work. Perhaps I was thrown off by its abilities to play burned CDs as I have a copy of Capcom vs SNK 2 on a burned disc that runs perfectly. Maybe it was just wishful thinking. Oh well. It just means yet another converter I need to get.

Does anyone know which Game Genies, Action Replays and GameSharks truly work as converters, either by personal experience or reviews on the 'net? The fewer converters I need to buy to start enjoying import games, the better.
    ~Gaz~

"Video games develop hand-eye coordination and turn children into better human beings!" ~ Professor Membrane on Invader ZIM"

Animal Crossing Info:
    Town: Odnetnin
    Name: Gaz
    Code: 0730-7620-4738
    Fruits: Pears, Peaches
    Gates Open: Random

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone have a picture of the best adaptor to play American NES games on a Japanese FAMICOM?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Famcom to NES convertors

Anyone willing to sell one of those Honeybee convertors or possible one of those convertors found in Gyromite and other select NES games? I just bought my first famicom game Devil World and I am dying to play it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kainemaxwell View Post
    Anyone know where to buy the n64 Wonder Adapter (rather then cutting the tabs out of the cart slot)?
    ill give j00 one for a genny game ^_^
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've seen 'em on eBay for about $10 or so... meaning the NES to Famicom adaptors. I just got a famicom in so I'll need one myself to play english RPGs, heh.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

I just got a copy of Jurassic Park for the Mega Drive.
    Since I don't have any converter of any kind, I removed the top of my Genesis in order to insert the game properly.
    Well, it boots, but I get that message which everyone knows of: "This game was developed only for use with Japanese Mega Drive consoles".

If I really want to play this that bad, do I need some kind of region by-pass code for the Game Genie? I know that there are devices out there that are better than the Game Genie, but it's all I can get right now.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow Mega Cart V1.x

There seems to be a MEGA CART that has backup RAM for save games and could play import titles on SEGA CD and SEGA Genesis CDX.
    This cartridge is produced by ToToTEK Multi Media Co.

Price of the cartridge is USD$70.00.

Quote Originally Posted by flywheels View Post
    My wife and I finally got into our new house and I spent all night getting my game room set up. All my test runs on the consoles have worked perfectly except one, my Sega CDX. Regular Sega CD games work fine, but I can't get it to play my Mega CD games w/ my recently acquired Datel Pro CDX cartridge.

After a little more research I see that this adapter isn't compatiable w/ my CDX system...much to my surprise after I was told by several different resources that it would work. So what am I to do now in order for my Mega CD games to be played? Ditch the CDX system in favor for a Genesis II w/ CD add-on?

Has anyone used a Datel Pro CDX catridge w/ success on a Genesis II CD system to play Mega CD games?

Insert Coin (Level 0) dustylights's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default question about saturn gameshark.

is it possible to dump a gameshark cart and put it in disc format to use on the saturn as a converter for import games as well as a cheat device to ??
    if it is possible,who could do it?

thanks for any info

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great thread! I *think* that I understand properly. I got a 31-in-1 pirate cart at a local gaming store. It came with a "game converter". When I play this in my toploader, it has to sit backwards.

I love NES Contra and really want Gryzor for the famicom (for the extras). Could this adapter allow me to play Gryzor? I know that there are extra chips in Gryzor versus Contra - can it still be played in my toploader via this device?

Here are pics of the cart and converter (I love the Engrish on the back of the converter):

And here are pics of the converter in the NES toploader:
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 01-17-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I have that exact converter.

"PLEASE PUSH "RESET" BUTTON 3 TO 5 SECONDS AND RELEAVE, IT WILL BE OK."

I think all 60-72 pin converters go in backwards, and it should work with Gryzor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    I have that exact converter ... and it should work with Gryzor.
    What about the special chips in the Japanese Gryzor cart? Will those function in my toploader?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

As long as it's an authentic toploader, it will work.

Are there any 60-72 pin converters that have the cart sit forward? I've seen it with 72-60 pin converters.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I accept:The Mega Key is a wonderful all-in-one convertor for the Mega Drive. It unlocks PAL as well as NTSC Jp games for any Genesis, including the Sega CDX! Very nice convertor, passthrough with dip switches.
    The skeleton convertor for the Mega Drive is a straight passthough convertor that allows you to play Jp Mega Drive games on a US system. It's got no case, so it's not pretty, but it works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SNES

Pro Action Replay MK3 will let you play any NTSC game on a PAL SNES, PAL game on a NTSC SNES. I'm not sure if it will play either PAL or NTSC on a Super Famicom though. You can also use Action Replay and Game Genie codes on it. Downsides: Quite rare and expensive costed me 40 or so but the avergae price is 60 - 70 and over 100 Complete. You can't use codes for most games without a discolored SNES (1a).

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^ Super Mario RPG (uses SA-1) and a few other special chip games might not work. PAR3 works fine on a SFC, the hardware is identical to a USA SNES. Codes should work even if it's not a launch SNES, I've used it with a SNES mini without problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All from experience: I tried Super Mario RPG on a SNES mini and whenever I used any code with Super Mario RPG the game would not start up, I've tested this on all other FX games as well as Super Game Boy 1 and 2, Doom and Winter Gold FX/FX Skiing, and on most other games in a SNES Mini would do the following: Crash when the code was turned on, freeze until the code was turned off, reset when the code was active then play when turned off or the codes would only not work but the game will; and I have even seen even on some regular chipped games like The Pagemaster. A few games on the SNES mini will work: Super Mario All-Stars, Wario's Woods, Toy Story and Kirby's Dream Course all worked fine. The SNES Mini will also present graphic problems if used with Yoshi's Cookie and Tetris & Dr. Mario.

My best advice is to get a Super Famicom or a Discolored SNES (1a) if you want to use a PAR on special chipped games because Nintendo changed the Hardware starting with 1b and onward to prevent the usage of Game Genie and the Pro Action Replays.
    Last edited by nensondubois; 01-15-2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Grammar errors

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

im trying to find a famicom to NES converter and i saw this one and was going to purchase it but it says "Works only on 'modified' NES consoles"... what does this mean?

http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/nes/nes.htm

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default action replay pro

anyone know if this converter was region specific at all? I've been looking for one and i've found a couple in aus and uk but not sure if they will work on my NTSC SNES.

the one i found was PAR Mk2.