Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post a random classic gaming memory. Tell us a story!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Manga4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Post a random classic gaming memory. Tell us a story!

I figured I would start a thread where people can post daily about memories stored away in their minds about classic moments you've had with games and/or about gaming in general. Spill the beans and tell us all a story about your favorite moments in gaming history whether it was beating a certain game, hunting for a certain game, playing with friends, Christmas day hauls, or anything that you can tell us that has to do with your most treasured and classic moments playing and enjoying video games.

Who would like to go first?
    Blog - Latest entry 4/13/13: CLASSIC GAMING, Discovering new gems is the funnest part.
    Twitter Follow me!

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went to a Catholic school when I was younger and since it was down the road...got to walk home from lunch. I would always bust out some games before going back. One specific memory , was playing Three Dirty Dwarves on Sega Saturn and in one cut scene there was a swear word and my mom was watching me play. At the time I was probably in 7th grade maybe? and I never heard a swear word in video game...the look on my moms face was priceless followed by.."WHAT THE HECK KIND OF GAME IS THIS!?" Every time I play TDD I always think of that moment.
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember in junior high when street fighter 2 first hit consoles. Lookin back it's funny how big street fighter 2 really was. I mean it was the game everyone talked about, played and wanted. Being good or bad at that game effected your street cred!!! Lol!

A buddy of mine was lucky enough to get a copy on snes before me. I came over and he already had a bunch of game genie codes. Air fire balls, fast and slow sonic booms, even color changes! I was blown away! That was one of the greatest Saturday's of my youth. To this day I'm a really big fan of fighting games and capcom although I later jumped to the M.K. side!
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Insert Coin (Level 0) Manga4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This story kind of goes hand in hand with the Mortal Kombat thread I posted the other day.....

I remember sometime in mid 1994 I was spending the night at my friends house despite it being a school night and I brought Mortal Kombat over so we could play it, it was supposed to blizzard the night before so we were like 80% sure we'd have no school the next day. We stayed up until like 2:30am playing the game and beating it with multiple characters as well as playing against eachother one on one, we finally decided to go to bed because much to our dismay we looked outside around 2:15am to see not a flake of snow on the ground so we figured we'd now be going to school in the morning. When we woke up and looked outside we saw that the blizzard had in fact came and we turned on the TV to see that school was indeed cancelled and we could hang out all day. We decided to earn some money and shovel driveways for cash and we made about $15 each and went down the street to a bowling alley and spent every red cent playing the arcade games they had. They had MK, MK2, NBA Run n' Gun, a 2 player shooting game, one of the Splatterhouse games, and one or two more, it was an awesome time and one I'll never forget for as long as I live.
    Blog - Latest entry 4/13/13: CLASSIC GAMING, Discovering new gems is the funnest part.
    Twitter Follow me!

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe not so much stories, but perhaps some highlights:

- 1979 - My older brother took me on a tour of the arcades in the downtown core of the city I grew up in. At the time, it was a pretty glossy place, filled with book stores, music stores, movie theaters, indoor gardens, etc.... Anyway, the second I saw Tail Gunner on the second floor of the last arcade on our tour that day, I was HOOKED! That was the beginning of an obsession.

- 1981 - Walked past Space Fury and heard it speak. It wasn't the first time I had heard a game talk but it was easily the best quality synthesized speech I had ever heard (and to this day, along with Star Trek : The Strategic Operations Simulator).

- 1982 - saw Gravitar, Space Duel, Mr. Do, and TRON for the first time. Was blown away. Was so intimidated by the TRON arcade machine that I watched other players play it for over 6 months before giving it a try. Eventually racked up 450,000 points.

- 1983 - Laid eyes on Major Havoc. Was happy to see another vector game in a world of raster titles. Was pleasantly surprised by what would turn out to be the most ambitious vector game ever made.

I think the main thing was the awe-inspiring look and sound of the early arcades (music, lights, and dark labyrinths lit by the coin-op screens -- packed with neon and chrome). People everywhere and over thirty completely different types of gameplay. Along with that was a huge array of interfaces. It seemed like everyone was making totally insane custom cabs.

It wasn't until 1985 that I was to see an arcade cabinet that stole the show. And that was the deluxe hydraulic Space Harrier cabinet. I dropped a TON of coins into that one.

After that, the arcades started to suck exponentially. But they certainly did have their day, and it was great.

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A fond memory for me would be going on a vacation with some friends and my dad back in 1993 and pouring loads of coins into Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II at a local arcade/resteraunt. We must have blown at least $100 each on those two games and my dad got mad because we ignored going out on the boats and hiking and all that jazz in favor of playing at the arcade, but man o' man was it a blast and when I finally owned both games for my SNES I barely ever left the house. But still, I'll always remember my times spent inside of that arcade while we played them in arcade format for all those hours during that week, memories like that you can't buy.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For some reason, this memory comes to me:

I think it was 1989. A group of friends and I went on vacation with one of the friend's families. One of them had just bought WWF WrestleMania for the NES, and to us at that time, that was a big thing. The night we got there, we started playing against each other.

During one of the fights, I was playing the Honky-Tonk Man against (I think) Andre the Giant. Because of Andre's moves I kept backing away from him.

My opponent yelled, "Stop running and fight like a man!"

One of my friends yelled back, "He doesn't fight like a man, he fights like a Honky!"

Press Select to Start Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have never been more angry at a video game boss as i was with the spider boss from Sigma's stage in Mega Man X. Back in the day that one boss not only stood in my way of completing the game, but left a sour taste in my mouth for sticking points like that so close to the endings of certain games. i realize it's not THAT difficult, but for some reason as a kid i could not figure out the pattern/strategy for beating that damn spider. i recruited friends to try and beat it for me, and i left my SNES on for must've been a week straight and would invite any and all to try, along my my periodic and failed attempts to beat it. still haven't beaten MMX because of it, mostly due to the memories of controller-throwing, blood vessel popping frustration.

Also, i vividly remember constantly trying to skirt any and all responsibility when Ocarina of Time came out, literally skipping school and canceling plans with friends in favor of some more OoT goodness. It felt like a race to beat the game, and staying up all night to progress farther than your friends was common, followed the next day by "Yeah i already got that heart piece" or "Water Temple, yeah i already beat it last Tuesday"

Growing up, after playing the Metal Gear Solid demo on one of the Playstation demo discs, i knew i HAD to play this game, and once i finally got it and started playing, again i ignored absolutely every responsibility and made up ridiculous excuses for why i had to be quarantined in my room with my PSX and MGS. i beat it in two days without turning off the system or taking a break, no school, no talking to anybody else except when absolutely necessary. i guess i just remember that sense of tunnel vision, like nothing else matters except this one game and that's it. i have yet to feel that feeling again, being so excited for a game that literally nothing else matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of my fondest memories was my time I spent at the arcades playing the Neogeo MVS. I was soo good at all the king of Fighters and fatal fury games.

I remember spending a lot my money my dad gave me for the mall on KOF.

Still have to say KOF 96 and 98 are my faves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My story involves the now non-existant arcades over here. Back in the late 90's I was in an arcade playing Mortal Kombat 4. It was one of the first times I played it and I had gotten all the way to the final bose. For some reason all of these people had appeared out of nowhere and were watching me play. I was using Mileena and on the final boss fight I used every single special move she had and still lost. That was amusing to me as all of these random strangers saw me get my butt kicked by the CPU.

But even more amusing was when I went back to that arcade two days later and again got to the final boss. This time, instead of using any of my special moves all I did was use the low kick sweep over and over for one round and the high kick round house over and over for the second round. And that beat the boss, just button mashing the same move over and over again. Meaning that the programmers made the boss immune to the majority of your special moves but vulnerable to the more common moves, which is cheap but still amusing. If only I had figured that out two days earlier.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

a memory I have is at KB toy store there was always these HUGE bins neatly organized with NES games they were trying to clear out because SNES had been out a while and I think playstation had just came out, any way around that time relate other systems to the same era in your own head.

any way I remember finding some of my rarest games in there for super cheap. i'm talking about sub $5 cheap, the one that sticks out most in my mind was Mega Man 6. if you can imagine for a minute now. Finding Mega Man in a close out bin brand new for $5. I had already started collecting by then, It started with the megaman series and went from there.

Sadly though I had megaman 1-4 by this time and so I had a gap for a long time. it wasn't until about 4 years ago I was able to find a decent copy of megaman 5

Needless to say I still have the box and everything for Megaman 6 how ever its been through a few moves and I broke the box down to keep it from getting any more damaged than it already was, infact all my game boxes I broke down flat so I would still have them atleast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My first Summer break from college I worked as a pizza chef at a pizza joint, The Loop, which was walking distance from a Wal-Mart that had Street Fighter Alpha. Occasionally my manager would give me some cash to grab cigarettes when the restaurant was dead. Well, as you might imagine, it was damn near impossible not to pop two quarters into the arcade machine when I walked past it. The situation always delighted me on account of I always enjoyed getting to leave my places of work for a small mission, plus I was able to play one of my favorite arcade games while I was out and about. All these years later it still makes me smile to think back on it. All three parties are now gone: The Loop is a Moe's Southwest Grill, The Wal-Mart is a World Market, and only the Lord knows the fate of the arcade cabinet that I use to love feeding quarters both in and out of work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Playing Samurai Showdown 1 in the arcade with one hand (my right arm was broken in a cast). The game had recently come out and I loved it. Didn't let a broken arm stop me from playing. Learned to hold the stick and hit buttons with one hand. One exceptional memory was being able to beat a stream of decent people. One of them was I guy I recognized from school that I didn't really like too much. After I beat him in front of his friends for about 2 credits... I heard him mumble to his friends, "man I feel stupid losing to the guy with one arm!"

Another one was getting Super Mario Bros 3 a year before it came out for the NES... then showing it/playing it with neighborhood friends. It completely blew their minds. We thought we were the luckiest kids in the world at the time.

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Insert Coin (Level 0) Horsehead's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not much of a story, but I remember getting the Sega Genesis for my birthday one year. I played the thing all day and was forced by my parents to go to bed. My plan was to sneak out later that night and continue playing. The plan didn't work very well though. I came out to the living room only to find both my parents sitting in front of the television playing the Genesis. I guess they had been playing it since I went to bed. I don't know, I found it funny.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I was born in 1992, so didn't get any experience with video games until the late 1990s. So my classic memories are primarily from the 5th (PSX and competitors) and 6th (PS2 and competitors) generations.

When I was young, around 6 or so, I did not like 2D graphics. My first video game I ever played was in October 1998, 2 months before my 6th birthday. I had an asthma attack and had to be taken to Vanderbilt Hospital, where I stayed overnight and didn't go home until 4:30 am. They had a Nintendo 64 hooked up in the room where I was, and I played Super Mario 64 all night long. It was on the way home and I was in the back seat of our 1984 Lincoln Town Car and I told my parents I wanted a video game system. Within a month or so, I got a Sega Genesis that my mom got on sale for $80. Majesco resold 150,000 Sega Genesis Model 2's (not the smaller Genesis 3) and mine was one of those. Being a 5 year old with no concept of finances or video game history, I didn't like the Genny at the time because it didn't have 3D graphics. I could tell the difference between 2D and 3D graphics, even back then I wanted one of the "new" systems, a PSX or a N64. Well for Christmas 1998 I got a N64. It lasted a few months until a PSX came along in 1999.

PSX was my main "5th gen" system. It was my only system from 1999 to 2002. The Genesis was put away (not to be re-discovered until late 2005 and brought home on January 7, 2006) and the N64 was sold off (I went without an N64 from mid 1999 until February 19, 2006).
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of my fondest gaming memories is when Resident Evil 2 first came out, my best friend rented it and the two of us stayed up all night to beat it, finally finishing it around sunrise, which seemed oddly appropriate. I haven't played Resident Evil 2 since and by now I'm kind of afraid to because I don't want to spoil the memory of how amazing it was.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I remember when I was 14 hanging out with my friend in his parents' basement to spend the night, which was awesome, as it was renovated as its own apartment from when his older brothers lived there. We rented NBA Jam that night on SNES, and we'd stocked up on snacks with a 24pk of Mountain Dew and 5 boxes of Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies. Within the first 4 hours, we'd eaten probably 3 boxes of cream pies as finished the whole case of Mountain Dew while playing as the Orlando Magic and winning a bunch of games. Anyway, for the rest of the night, I had to pee literally ever 10 minutes, and started feeling bad. I had to keep drinking water to combat it, which only made going to the bathroom worse. Still, I was having so much fun with all of the insane dunks to stop, and we stayed up all night.

The next day when I got home, I was sick as a dog, like I somehow had a hangover from Mountain Dew. That night completely ruined Mountain Dew for me, as 20 years later it still nauseates me, yet still I love me some Oatmeal Cream Pies. It also caused me to love NBA Jam to death, and about once a year we still get together and play NBA Jam on SNES for hours, and wecoften reminisce about that great night.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I purchased Miracle Warriors: Seal of the Dark Lord for the SEGA Master System from Electronics Boutique in the New Orleans Centre Mall one weekend back in 1989 (I think it was '89) for about $60 and ended up forgetting it in a store on Canal Street after setting the bag down while trying on a hat or something. I realized that I left it in that store about an hour later while hanging out in Mardi Gras arcade a block down the road and hurried back to the store, but of course it was gone. I lamented that mistake for years.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Years ago, my old roommate and I were playing through Lego Star Wars II together, as we always (and still) played co-op games together. We were playing in the level where Luke is doing his Jedi training, and every plant we'd hit was dropping studs. My roommate says, "There's no WAY you should be able to make that kind of money on Dagobah!"

I had to pause the game, I was laughing so hard, and he's just looking at me, kinda laughing, but kinda, "what the fuck?" It was just killing me, as it just hit me how absurd of a sentence that was. I mean, all of the things that had to happen through history for a sentence that ridiculous to seem normal. I might just be dumb, but we still chuckle about it sometimes.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 06-17-2015 at 07:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Early 80s was my first gaming experience, Lake Arrowhead, A&W restaurant for lunch, got a chair, 2 quarters, and Pac-Man when I was 5 or around that. Little did I know a few years later at Christmas this huge box that was hiding as the last thing ended up being the NES Deluxe Set which I ended up screaming about and then ignoring anything else but it for at least a couple of weeks or more with its 2 games and also SMB and Hogans Alley.

Back in the day I also loved pinball, never really had anything regular, but between the pizza joints, showbiz pizza time theater and chuck e cheese I had a few favorites of the 80s which were Black Knight, Space Shuttle, and PinBot. I never was anything great with them as I never did (and really don't in action grasp) the smashing to move the ball thing to save it from the sides(somewhat) and the center. Funny thing you look 30 years later roughly and being inspired by this years Louisville Arcade Expo I finally am a pinball owner, and my second and last unless I ditch the other happened to be a home use only PinBot which I'm the third owner so that came full circle.

Back on more video gaming though, my christmas surprise of 1989 happened to get blown when I snapped up when my parents weren't looking so well a flat square box, ended up being Super Mario Land, so clearly there was a Gameboy somewhere. That ended up going with me everywhere through the 80s and 90s and Tetris was always the in game thing up until Mario Golf when I was in college. Talk about staying power. And on the PC side, got one of those amazingly for Christmas 90, it came with the first CD drive on a PC and had all these cool discs like Manhole, an encyclopedia and this huge disc of later 80s/1990 PC DOS games and many are still considered timeless. Shortly there after though my first game was Wolfenstein 3D's shareware disc followed by the first boxed game Simpons Arcade Game. I wish I still had that box, but for whatever reason (indy fan) I still have my total talkie CD box of Indy Fate of Atlantis on the shelf.