Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Super NES or Sega Genesis?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Both systems have amazing games and killer exclusives, but for me the Genesis wins. Usually the darker pallet of the Genny was better suited for conveying atmosphere in games. Music is also VERY important to me and the FM synth chip in the Genesis is generally more apealing to me.

Don't get me wrong. The Genesis has no substitute for Snes musical masterpieces like Final Fantasy 6, but usually the organic nature of the Genesis's sound and graphics is more unique and refreshing to me than what the Snes has to offer.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    Both systems have amazing games and killer exclusives, but for me the Genesis wins. Usually the darker pallet of the Genny was better suited for conveying atmosphere in games. Music is also VERY important to me and the FM synth chip in the Genesis is generally more apealing to me.

Don't get me wrong. The Genesis has no substitute for Snes musical masterpieces like Final Fantasy 6, but usually the organic nature of the Genesis's sound and graphics is more unique and refreshing to me than what the Snes has to offer.
    Oh god yes. The genesis has an awesome Yamaha fm synth that sounds spectacular with shmups. Like these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko4e...e_gdata_player

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I owned both back in the day and enjoyed them both. However, when I got back into classic gaming a few years ago, the first system I started collecting for was the Genesis. The SNES want really even a contender for me oddly.

At this point I have an NES, a TG16 and a fairly decent Jaguar collection and no SNES. So yes I prefer the Genesis for a lot of reasons already covered. But don't trust me I wanted a Jaguar more than a Super Nintendo.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CoteRangers View Post
    I doubt Gunstar Heroes is on the Super Nintendo, since I'm pretty sure it was made by Sega.
    I ment that style of game, not the exact game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Both systems are absolutely amazing, no question about it. They will both go down in history as two of the best systems of all-time, and two systems that enjoyed the limelight during gaming's best time frame. (early 90's)

Still, if I was to rank the 50 best games of all time, on any platform, there would be so many more SNES games represented in that top 50. The Genesis would have a few games that would make my top 50, but they would pale in comparison to the number of SNES games that would be littered throughout my list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These were arguments for the fanboys during the 'wars', but these days the systems and games are so easily had, there is no excuse to not own both.

Kind of like 5200 and Colecovision during the 8-bit battles, everyone should own both Genesis and SNES for all the 16-bit goodness they offer.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    These were arguments for the fanboys during the 'wars', but these days the systems and games are so easily had, there is no excuse to not own both.

Kind of like 5200 and Colecovision during the 8-bit battles, everyone should own both Genesis and SNES for all the 16-bit goodness they offer.
    I never got into the 5200. I always wrote it off as 2nd rate, especially since everyone says that the Colecovision version of Donkey Kong is the best (and thus, I assumed, their versions of games in general are better than the 5200's). Is it really something to get into? Another system to add?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

In the 90's i did favor the genesis a little more when that was the,only console i had.Still these days i like both since i have both again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by CoteRangers View Post
    So the Super Nintendo, right?
    Yep, great shmup, its part of the Aleste series, and a kind of pseudo sequel to Blazing Lazers on the TG-16. As far as I know, it isn't on any other platform other than the SNES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sterz View Post
    When I was kid, and both systems were current, I would have said Genesis all the way. I was really into the first three 'NHL' games, and for whatever reason, EA couldn't work their gameplay magic on the SNES.
    Yea I don't know what it was but the NHL games just felt and played better on the Genesis. I didn't like the SNES versions even though they should have been exactly the same. In fact the NHL games were the main reason I bought a Genesis in the first place.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

SNES, and to me it's not even close.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, if we are doing a "16 Bit Wars" thing here, how come we ain't including the Turbografx 16/Turbo Duo/PC Engine? My favirute of that era.

Anyway, onto the main focus, the Genesis for sure. I read all this about how great platformers were on the Super NES, but man, Genesis versions of games on both systems can most surely be better. Great examples: Flashback, Earthworm Jim 1 & 2, Boogerman, and a few others that don't run through my head at the moment. Not to mention some seriously cool Genesis only games like the Streets of Rage series. I HATE MARIO. I always have after the original Mario Bros. I'm talking the one where Mario and Luigi knock crabs and Turtle off of platforms as they come out of pipes, not "Super". Not to say I am a Nintendo hater as I always did like the Zelda series and Metroid. I own both systems, but really, my Genesis now, and back in the day, is hooked up much more than the Super NES. Oh, and talk about a bad first impression, the first game I played on the Super was Final Fight. Yeah, argue all you want about Aesthetics, but Final Fight on the Super is crap, period! Left a bad taste in my mouth. It wasn't a good first impression.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    I never got into the 5200. I always wrote it off as 2nd rate, especially since everyone says that the Colecovision version of Donkey Kong is the best (and thus, I assumed, their versions of games in general are better than the 5200's). Is it really something to get into? Another system to add?
    If you are into 80's arcade titles, then Colecovision and 5200 are definitely complementary systems. CV has exclusives like Frenzy, Turbo, and Donkey Kong (although with later XE conversion, the 5200 version is now more 'arcade-correct' with all four levels), and 5200 had awesome titles like Space Dungeon, Robotron 2084, and Pac Man (again remedied by homebrewers for CV).

I see Genesis vs. SNES argument in the same light. Where Genesis had games like Gunstar Heroes, MUSHA, and the Phantasy Star series, SNES had the DK country games, many excellent RPG's, and Super Mario World. Just get both systems and enjoy all the 16-bit goodness they had to offer.

Cubs, pubs and bubs. sneekyweezel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh I see a trick question! Don't try to pull a fast one on me! Nah but seriously I loved em' both, so I won't pick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

This is such a hard question to answer. Back in the 90s, the SNES and Genesis were two different machines with a lot of different exclusives. Two equally titled games played differently on SNES and the genesis. You don't get that today. Normally, when a AAA title is released, it gets released for PS3, 360, and PC, so there's no real reason to own all platforms unless there's a specific exclusive you want.

For me, it will always be the SNES, but mainly because of the RPG titles. Genesis had the sonic, streets of rage, and gunstar heroes series, but that will never beat out having Chrono Trigger, FF6, FF4, Illusion of Gaia, Secret of Evermore, Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu II), etc.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Turbografx-16!
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    If you are into 80's arcade titles, then Colecovision and 5200 are definitely complementary systems. CV has exclusives like Frenzy, Turbo, and Donkey Kong (although with later XE conversion, the 5200 version is now more 'arcade-correct' with all four levels), and 5200 had awesome titles like Space Dungeon, Robotron 2084, and Pac Man (again remedied by homebrewers for CV).

I see Genesis vs. SNES argument in the same light. Where Genesis had games like Gunstar Heroes, MUSHA, and the Phantasy Star series, SNES had the DK country games, many excellent RPG's, and Super Mario World. Just get both systems and enjoy all the 16-bit goodness they had to offer.
    Robotron and Pac Man also came out on the 7800 - is the 5200 worth it if I already have the superior system?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Genesis. Only because mine has been solidly hooked up for 2 decades plus or minus a few months, while my SNES seems to be hooked up half the time.

I really like the SNES but I seem to get bored with most of the games pretty quickly. It's not a graphics or sound thing, I know that the SNES is a bit superior in that aspect but I do still like the graphics and music on the Genesis. I guess the Genesis just seems more FUN. And since I have a hard time getting into RPGS the Genesis wins hands down for me.

Not to mention that if you want to play games it won't cost you and arm and a leg like the SNES. The Genesis is just more gamer/collector friendly and affordable - and fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Heh... as if someone had to ask me. See the sig
    SNES to me is the system that ages gracefully like fine wine. I can still pick up 75% of the games I enjoyed back in the day and still have a blast with them. In some ways I even appreciate them more now than I did 20 years ago (due to being older and understanding different concepts that flew over my head as an 8 year old). It's the one system and library that I know I will always carry with me, and still play when I'm 50, God willing. It is a haven for gaming greatness

I like Genesis too, but for me it just doesn't compare. I respect the Genesis, but I love the SNES.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    is the 5200 worth it?
    Space Dungeon and recently released Tempest are not available on 7800. Pac Man never came out on the 7800.