Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model 1 SEGA Genesis "High Definition Graphics" label vs. non-hi def label version

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Model 1 SEGA Genesis "High Definition Graphics" label vs. non-hi def label version

Is there any real difference between the "High Definition Graphics" label version of the SEGA Genesis Model 1 and the Model 1 that does NOT have the "High Definition Graphics" label? From what I recall, Model 1 is the superior of the three Genesis models, but is there any real variation beyond cosmetics within the top tier?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

The earliest Genesis "HDG" model didn't have the license screen appearing at the start of every game. I believe in general the models without HDG had sound that wasn't as clear.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Is there any real difference between the "High Definition Graphics" label version of the SEGA Genesis Model 1 and the Model 1 that does NOT have the "High Definition Graphics" label? From what I recall, Model 1 is the superior of the three Genesis models, but is there any real variation beyond cosmetics within the top tier?
    There's actually a bunch of stuff between the many revisions of Model 1 Genesis/MegaDrives. From video quality, to better audio circuits and more, there's a post on Sega 16 all about it:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...951#post161951
    Last edited by alec006; 12-20-2012 at 08:00 PM.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My High Definition Graphics Genesis has the license screen. But it also has the good audio circuitry. It does have the video chip known for rainbow banding however. It's only noticeable on black screens at least. The RGB/Component video out of it is excellent.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I made the mistake of going out and buying The high definition graphics model 1 because after reading a thread I thought it would have either better graphics or sound then my non HDG model 1. Turns out the audio was absolutely horrible. I still use my non HDG Sega.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dashopepper View Post
    I made the mistake of going out and buying The high definition graphics model 1 because after reading a thread I thought it would have either better graphics or sound then my non HDG model 1. Turns out the audio was absolutely horrible. I still use my non HDG Sega.
    Maybe it needs a recap. Do you know what revision motherboard is in there?

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Model 1 SEGA Genesis "High Definition Graphics" label vs. non-hi def label version

Any pictures of the labels?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Clearly, your HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS Genesis Model 1 has a hardware issue. Many of the really early systems manufactured in 1989 are in need of a complete capacitor replacement and can have absolutely filthy sound if the caps on the audio amp are going bad. My earliest Genesis Model 1, which is a VA2 motherboard revision manufactured in 1989, had a serious amount of distortion and very muffled sound due to bad capacitors. Consider replacing the capacitors in that HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS Genesis Model 1 as MaxWar stated.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So if I did a capacitor swap would you think it would be the same/different/better in anyway then my other system? Unfortunately the non-HDG sega has a cd/32x attached to it so opening it up or checking the serial numbers wouldn't be very easy. But I had them running side by side and dont rember any startling graphical difference, only the audio.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-12-22_19-56-35_349.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	6039

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

So if I did a capacitor swap would you think it would be the same/different/better in anyway then my other system? Unfortunately the non-HDG sega has a cd/32x attached to it so opening it up or checking the serial numbers wouldn't be very easy. But I had them running side by side and dont rember any startling graphical difference, only the audio.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-12-22_19-56-35_349.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	6039
    Based on that picture your model isn't the one with the best sound, the best one has an FCC-ID code reading FJ846EUSASEGA. Just saying "High Definition Graphics" isn't enough to find a good unit. It could be sounding worse if the capacitors are starting to fail, but most of these systems are still fine as they didn't use cheap surface mounted caps and it's not really that old yet. I've come across several 70's era receivers working fine with the original capacitors, those tend to need replacing now due to aging. You can still try to replace them if you want.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Based on that picture your model isn't the one with the best sound, the best one has an FCC-ID code reading FJ846EUSASEGA. Just saying "High Definition Graphics" isn't enough to find a good unit.
    Wrong. As long as it says HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS on the case, the motherboard revision is anything from VA2 to VA6, in this case, VA6 due to the shorter FCC ID. If it sounds like crap, it may be possible that the capacitors are crap, OR someone swapped the top on the console (not very likely, but it's always possible). Dashopepper should take a picture of the ports at the back of the console because if they're not placed where they should be, someone swapped the top off of a non-HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS VA7 Genesis Model 1 for one from a VA2 to early VA6 HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS Genesis Model 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is OT, but since you know a lot about the hardware revisions, there's a mystery that has confounded me for years.
    A friend of mine owns a game shop, and one of the old Genesis consoles he bought from a customer uses a different style of connection for the RF jack instead of the typical RCA. The only other time I've seen that type of jack, it was on a shitty famiclone that I bought in eastern europe.
    It's an early model, and it came with a matching official RF box. It's not a euro megadrive or anything like that, but I have never been able to find another system like that, even online. Even hardcore Sega collectors I've talked to have no idea what I'm talking about.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you have a picture of the console and does it say "Genesis" or "MegaDrive" on the console? I wonder if it may be a Brazilian TecToy MegaDrive, but I would need a picture of the console to know for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Well hmm... Model 1 Megadrive in Japan did not have RF out of the box, no modulator installed or the shell opening. Some Asian and Korean units I think lacked it too.

Model 1 Wondermega had a very bizarre RF jack though. At the expense of RGB. Making it incompatible with 32X unless modified.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was definitely a Sega Genesis and not a MD of any sort. I don't remember if it had the HD graphics text on it, but I assume so since the guy who sold it to us said he bought it shortly after it came out.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    A friend of mine owns a game shop, and one of the old Genesis consoles he bought from a customer uses a different style of connection for the RF jack instead of the typical RCA. The only other time I've seen that type of jack, it was on a shitty famiclone that I bought in eastern europe.
    I don't suppose you took a picture of this jack? If not, could you describe it?

I don't have any answers for you, I'm just curious.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Early Model 1's had a serial port at the back, but I am fairly sure all NTSC-U versions had an RF jack.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    I don't suppose you took a picture of this jack? If not, could you describe it?

I don't have any answers for you, I'm just curious.
    I don't have a pic, but I remember it was just a coaxial connection, similar to RCA, but a little bit smaller, and without the big protruding pin. I would describe it as almost like BNC, but without the locking mechanism. I'll try and get a look at it if I get a chance, but I rarely visit the old store and it may have been sold or put in storage.

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So is the one without the license screen worth more? If so how much? Thanks.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I don't have a pic, but I remember it was just a coaxial connection, similar to RCA, but a little bit smaller, and without the big protruding pin. I would describe it as almost like BNC, but without the locking mechanism. I'll try and get a look at it if I get a chance, but I rarely visit the old store and it may have been sold or put in storage.
    Weird. Wonder if it was modded somehow.