Thread: RIP My Game Gear

Cherry (Level 1) starchildskiss78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default RIP My Game Gear

This has been an insane month for me. Started on New Year's Eve just to make it interesting. I was sick. My girlfriend got sick. Her mother got sick (and is STILL sick). I got better and then my brother told me my mother was dying (then she got better). Then my Aunt (her sister) died Tuesday. Then SHE dies Friday! My internet and phone have been touch and go for the last 3 days, meaning I could not get in contact with anyone. AT&T put a rush order on it given the circumstances and had both repairmen at my house at the same time today!

Oh...where was I?

I wanted to play my Game Gear today while I was waiting. Didn't want to use a billion AA batteries just to play it so hooked up the adapter. Had a few seconds of power then it shuts off. Bought a "new" adapter and got the same thing. Tried 6 AA batteries...same thing.

I think its bit the dust. Sad thing is the guy I bought the adapter from has one of the blue Game Gears with 7 or 8 decent games for $60. A bit rich for me at the moment!

I have always loved the Game Gear from the moment my brother bought me one (with the carry case that holds your games, accessories, and system) for Christmas in 1992. I eventually got rid of it but finally found another one several years back. I admit I don't play it as much as I should but I absolutely love the system. Columns will ALWAYS be better than Tetris in my opinion.

Rest in peace, good buddy....you had a good run. (Before anyone suggests me trying to troubleshoot and fix it myself....I am not even close to being technologically inclined to work on a game system!)
    My webcomic about three kitties and their humans. Touches on different subject matter (including video games) and updates every Sunday and Wednesday. (The kitties demand you read it!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not dead, it just needs new capacitors. There's some people here who can fix that for you, including myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    It's not dead, it just needs new capacitors. There's some people here who can fix that for you, including myself.
    I appreciate the offer, but I'm not in a position to exactly pay someone to fix it and have to deal with getting it shipped back and forth. I'm more than likely going the credit route if I replace it.
    My webcomic about three kitties and their humans. Touches on different subject matter (including video games) and updates every Sunday and Wednesday. (The kitties demand you read it!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sympathy and condolences for the loss of your family members. My heart goes out to you and I'm very sorry that you're having such a bad month
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

My girl's mother died this month as well of cancer. We were all very close. She was such an awesome person. She probably never played a video game in her life, but she was responsible for some nice addition to my game collection over the years, and always had an eye out for things on my wishlist.

Man, I'm really sorry for your loss.

If you're in the States, shipping the Game Gear can't be anymore than $10 ($4.95 Priority Box both ways). I'm broke as hell after taking care of the expenses of the trip and my late MIL's affairs, but if someone is willing to do the repairs for you, I'd be willing to PayPal you the shipping costs. It's not much, but if it's something that'll help you deal with this horrible tragedy and keep you sane then it's money well spent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

My Lynx just bit the dust on me, so i feel ya..It powers up, but wont switch over to the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    My girl's mother died this month as well of cancer. We were all very close. She was such an awesome person. She probably never played a video game in her life, but she was responsible for some nice addition to my game collection over the years, and always had an eye out for things on my wishlist.

Man, I'm really sorry for your loss.

If you're in the States, shipping the Game Gear can't be anymore than $10 ($4.95 Priority Box both ways). I'm broke as hell after taking care of the expenses of the trip and my late MIL's affairs, but if someone is willing to do the repairs for you, I'd be willing to PayPal you the shipping costs. It's not much, but if it's something that'll help you deal with this horrible tragedy and keep you sane then it's money well spent.
    That is very awesome of you to offer! I will let you know if I get any offers. Ebay and Amazon are pitiful when it comes to finding a decent working model that doesn't cost one arm and one leg.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My condolences on your family members. The video game, who gives a crap, but very sad about the family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    My condolences on your family members. The video game, who gives a crap, but very sad about the family.
    Haha...well, the video game was actually a reminder of happier times growing up. I would take it on school trips (especially all-county and all-state choral events) and play Columns, Joe Montana Football, Sonic the Hedgehog, or Batter Up and watch as my classmates marveled because everyone else had Game Boys!