Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Default Unique Arcade Cabinets

I was at the famous Fun Spot arcade in Weirs Beach New Hampshire today having my normal stroll down memory lane as always when I play here. The sound of classic games bleeping and booping and such with 80s music playing over the speakers.

They just got in some new cabinets either that or pulled old ones out of their storage to keep a rotation to make things fresh. All I know is I never seen them. And it made me think about interesting some of these were designed specially the sit down ones. I mean they had to make these all unique to make you wanna sit down and play them and kinda create atmosphere that made you feel like it was you and the game mono-e-mono. Specially after I played the classic Missile Command in the sit down cabinet format.

The game cabinet had awesome art work on the outside that sucked you in. and as soon as you sat in it. It lit up with the screen your battle field infront of you. Your controls at your helm and additional light up graphics next to you to create this feeling you were actually controlling a defense for a onslaught of attacks of your base

A popular one when thinking of this topic is of course is Discs of Tron.

I mean even the stand up is quite unique in itself. But the enclosed cabinet like pictured here you walk in with the sounds taking over and the amazing graphics for the time and the neon glows all over and lights simulating that you were in the computer world that tron takes place in.

Then I thought about the odd ball cabinets.

Leprechaun is a good example.

sadly this is the best graphic i could find of it. (either it must be that rare or that obscure that no ones payed attention to it)
    Its basically a mini cabinet built for small children to play as its the perfect height for them but still have all the fun arcade video game fun that the bigger cabinets had. I never seen another one like it.

Or Wacko which caught my eye immediately when I went there and saw it for the first time

The whole thing is built at a slant which makes it ackward to play but so interesting.

Another machine that was there that they put in recently that I saw today for the first time ever called Fire Truck

Its a sit down with throttle and steering wheel that controls the front of the firetruck and then its a stand up with steering wheel in the rear that controls the rear of the truck. they both operate seperately and the idea is your suppose to work together to navigate the course without hitting the wall. Very crazy zaney game play very fun and different! It can be played single player as the Computer will take over control of the other part!

But anyways what are some arcade weird/odd/unique cabinets you've spotted in your years of arcade gaming?!
    Last edited by Collector_Gaming; 02-10-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) figment1988's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

when it comes to weird from my standpoint, it's usually arcade machines which are converted from unique cabinets. I remember when I was about 6 or 7 when i lived in puerto rico, i usually visited a Time Out arcade that was next to a movieplex, and they had two cabinets which used to be one of those dual screen nintendo games (likely Punch-Out), which were converted into a Shinobi and an E-SWAT, and both monitors were working. And when i visited Puerto Rico sometime in 2000, i went to the Roosevelt Roads navy base (when it still existed), and this cabinet conversion was a bit strange - an Operation Thunderbolt machine which was converted into Lethal Enforcers 1, which i still remember to this day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Leprechaun technically isn't unique, as Moppet Video ("moppet" hints at WHY the smaller cabs) released *5* games that way.

http://www.arcade-museum.com/manuf_d...g_game_id=8415
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If there are two arcade cabinets I wouldn't mind having...well, the first choice would have to be a racer, and although it's very spartan in design (and shamefully I never found time to plunk a quarter in), Atari's STUN Runner cuts a neat figure. Well, then there are those orb-things in Japan, too. And the original Galaxy Force in its lander-style cockpit; I wouldn't mind seeing some other Sega racers again, either. Finally, of course, the Galaxian 3 theater would have to be one of the choices. Maybe not the easiest thing to play repeatedly, but if worst comes to worst, you can always convert it into a small living space!

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I have seen that FIRE TRUCK machine before....Either at Chuchie Cheese,Years ago......or at the Jersey Shore,also Years ago..

This is My Unique Machine..It's a Bartop,Countertop Arcade Machine..

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=d9d8cf20f9

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll View Post
    I have seen that FIRE TRUCK machine before....Either at Chuchie Cheese,Years ago......or at the Jersey Shore,also Years ago..
    Yeah its a really wild arcade machine... I wish they would fix it so both ends worked but for right now only the rear works. Anyone that knows how to work on those old machines wanna hop over to Funspot and fix it?

I think its something to do with the wheel itself it feels like its not even hitting anything or creating some kinda resistance (like a contact or whatever it needs to in order for the game to know your turning left or turning right)

Also your counter top machine you show there is that a universal cabinet or was that for one type of game?

I know some companies made universal cabinets where they all look exactly the same the only difference is the game inside and the graphics on the cabinet itself which in turn made them easy to produce at a cheaper price tag which in turn gave your lesser known game companies a shot at taking their games to the arcade scene
    Last edited by Collector_Gaming; 03-12-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Universal to Three Boards by this Company, put out only by them...I have the other two boards but they are not working..One board I was told is a PAC MAN type game or clone..

I have this listed on ebay so will take what I wrote from there..
    Americana Table Top/Countertop Arcade Machine Computer Kinetics Corp. VIDEO POOL

VIDEO POOL

VIDEO OF THE MACHINE WORKING.

http://youtu.be/tJjOgNrppR8

This is a VERY RARE,Impossible to find Vintage Americana Countertop
    Tabletop,Bartop VIDEO POOL Arcade machine Computer Kinetics Corp.
    This Machine was made in 1982 in CA by Computer Kinetics Corp for Commercial Use..
    Info on this machine is vague,I was supposed to add he info to KLOV but I just don’t have the dedicated time to do so..
    This machine was purchased out of CA with another three parts machines(NOT INCLUDED).I purchased the working complete machine and my best friend in CA purchased the other three machines to convert into modern type machines....

This machine is the Only Complete working machine known to exist..
    We have done extensive research online and can’t find another anywhere..
    There may be more,they could be more,I don’t know how many were produced..
    It’s a 25 cent coin in machine with locked coin box..I have all the originals keys ..
    This machine was created with two other interchangeable PCB game boards but info on what they were again is vague...
    I do however have two other boards for this machine but they don’t work ..They are NOT included as they are away in storage but I can get them if needed..
    I also have a second screen Overlay, that’s not in good condition..(NOT included)
    This is Not the only Tabletop,Bar top Arcade machine Computer Kinetics Corp created as I own another smaller machine created by them that has similar plastic mold design as this machine has..
    This Americana Countertop machine has a molded plastic front in white that is easily cleaned and a bit dusty right now from sitting on my shelf for years..
    The outer rear shell is made of wood and is originally black.I did not want to repaint it to ruin it’s originality so I covered it with wood grain contact paper..(removable)
    This Machine is VERY HEAVY,at least 80 to 100 pounds..
    This machine turns on via a switch in the back and COIN OP/COIN IN ONLY..
    There is a tiny witch in the back of the machine that I’ve yet to figure out what it does..
    The Board does have switches on it that have not been touched by me.they may change coin in or game aspects..
    The Joystick works as a 4-8 way joystick that moves a dot around the screen to set the shooting direction..the game plays under a timer to make a shot..
    The joystick also works,pushed to the side or up to start the game after a coin is inserted..
    The joystick needs to be replaced if you want this machine to be perfect,or restored.. I found the special joystick listed on eBay long ago but missed out on the auction.
    I was told the joystick can be purchased online from Haps..(it's sloppy)
    The joystick is installed this the machine so tightly that it’s almost impossible to remove it,there are two small holes on the face under the joystick to get to two of it’s screws .
    The monitor I was told is a standard vertical aligned arcade Monitor..The monitor has a bunch of adjustments on the back but when the machine is on the screen looks offset/crooked ..I was told the monitor requires a CAP KIT...I never looked into it as I can’t handle doing such a job..
    Upon turning this machine on the machine BEEPS to acknowledge it is on..The screen will scroll from left to right and if left alone eventually stops..but there an easy to get to adjustment pot on the back of the machine,behind the locked cover to stop the machine from scrolling..
    I was told that the adjustment Pot was dirty and needed to be cleaned..
    My original GOAL was to have this machine fully restored,even if I had to replace the monitor..
    But I can’t afford to do that and just lost interest...I do not have the knowledge to attempt such repairs..The machines very close to as I bought it,I haven’t messed with it’s internals..when I got the machine it was very dirty,having been stored away for years..
    The internals are very crammed,this machine operates off a standard Jamma Power Supply..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I also have these universal by name brand machines made by a company in CA.

[IMG]IMG]