Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got Rare or Hidden Gems of PS2?

Insert Coin (Level 0) LordsOfSkulls's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LordsOfSkulls
    PSN
    LordsOfSkulls

Default Anyone got Rare or Hidden Gems of PS2?

PS2 system is my favorite system out their, the libary of different and awesome quality of games and ability to play both PS1/PS2 games made it my favorite console. My collection is mostly of PS2 games, i am set on completing my collection for quality/fun games to play.

Just wondering if anyone has any games in mind that they would consider RARE or Hidden Gems, that are not spoken often or known well. I still find games to this day on systems that i collect a games that pass my eye, or had a secret release date.

=) it be useful information that way i can add games i am missing from my list of PS2 games to get.

Guess i start with couple to give a good idea.

Blood Will Tell - Unique Horror Themed in style of Devil May Cry/Onimosha style. A samurai bent on hunting down demons for 48 parts of his body. (cool theme/nice gameplay/interesting story just fun to play) =)

Skygunner - Fun anime themed airplane fighter. It both voiced in japanese/english, as well very comical. Gameplay wise alot of fun to play and shooting down enemies/rocking up points.

Galerians: Ash - Is a sequel to Galerians from PSone, basically is dark themed video game with alot of CGI. Basically human teenagers with physic powers that obey/serve super computer. Until one revolts and you end up with alot of fun and cool physic battles. Their are some puzzles, and defently one creepy atmosphere through out the whole game.

I would name bunch of RPGs but most people know about them already..... (quick list) Atelier Iris/Mana Khemia, Shin Megami/Persona, Suikoden, Grandia, .hack, final fantasy, so i name 2 less know

Shining Force Neo - style of diablo with anime theme, and good amount of loot collecting.

Jade Cocoon 2 - Sort of style of Pokemon, that was a sequal of PSone game. With this one fun combat/more tactical and interesting story.

just couple ideas. =) Wish Front Mission 5 was released in USA that a fun game.

p.s. thank you in advance for helping out of recommanding games i should get for their awesome quality ^_^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played Kuri Kuri Mix(AKA The Adventures of Cookie and Cream in NA) together with a friend at the start of the year, through three evenings. (The game is meant to be played in co-op.) It's the most pure fun I've had playing any kind of game for years! So I definitely recommend it! It's simply, silly, weird, and even challenging at times!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Quote Originally Posted by LordsOfSkulls View Post

Shining Force Neo - style of diablo with anime theme, and good amount of loot collecting.
    Hot stuff, coming your way! Hot stuff, coming your way! Hot stuff, coming your way! Hot stuff, coming your way! Hot stuff, coming your way! Hot stuff, coming your way! Hot stuff, coming your way! Hot stuff, coming your way! Hot stuff, coming your way! Hot stuff, coming your way! Hot stuff, coming your way! Hot stuff, coming your way! Hot stuff, coming your way! Hot stuff, coming your way! Hot stuff, coming your way! Hot stuff, coming your way! Hot stuff, coming your way! Hot stuff, coming your way!

Anyways, try the Victorious Boxers games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

If you like pinball games, Flipnic is a fantastic title for the PS2. And if you don't like pinball games but do like acid trips, well that's good too.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by VACRMH View Post
    Anyways, try the Victorious Boxers games.
    These are good games but expect a -lot- of frustration with the controls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    These are good games but expect a -lot- of frustration with the controls.
    True. It takes awhile to get the hang of it. Don't go into it thinking it's like other boxing games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LordsOfSkulls
    PSN
    LordsOfSkulls

sweet interesting recommendations so far =) i love it

I have Cookie and Cream on list to get =)

but never heard of

Victorious Boxers

or of the pinball game

after watching youtube videos i add them to the list =)

keep it coming guys =)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Here are a few interesting lesser-known titles I've picked up:

Chulip
    Culdcept
    Dual Hearts
    Heavenly Guardian
    Magic Pengel: The Quest for Color
    Shepherd's Crossing
    The Nightmare of Druaga: Fushigino Dungeon
    Tokobot Plus: Mysteries of the Karakuri

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Snoopy vs the Red Baron is a fantastic "Star Fox" style flight shooting game. Especially since you mention enjoying Skygunner.
    The bi-plane which Snoopy flies is quite slow at first, but as you buy stronger engines and get accustomed to using the afterburners then the game plays plenty fast.
    Them missions and characters are true to the Peanuts universe. The game has a lot of charm, solid control and gameplay, and dozens of levels.
    I highly recommend it.

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bobobo Hajike Mitsuri - Yes, the graphics are terrible for PS2, but the game is genuinely enjoyable as one of the strangest and most unique music games (yes, it IS a music game) and the music is AMAZING. Just listen to the tunes in here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWx3pW8PYIg

Gekibo 2 - The Criminally underloved sequel to the criminally underloved Gekisha Boy (Photograph Boy) for the PC engine. PS2 launch title. Almost made it to europe as "Polaroid Pete" with a polaroid license but got pulled RIGHT before release. Instead of using 3D graphics for characters, it uses a cut-out style similar to parappa. Here's some gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2RDU3o1-RY

Oh, and NamcoXCapcom is a MUST, now that there's an easily obtainable 100% fan translation.
    Last edited by recorderdude; 02-20-2013 at 02:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LordsOfSkulls
    PSN
    LordsOfSkulls

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post
    Bobobo Hajike Mitsuri - Yes, the graphics are terrible for PS2, but the game is genuinely enjoyable as one of the strangest and most unique music games (yes, it IS a music game) and the music is AMAZING. Just listen to the tunes in here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWx3pW8PYIg

Gekibo 2 - The Criminally underloved sequel to the criminally underloved Gekisha Boy (Photograph Boy) for the PC engine. PS2 launch title. Almost made it to europe as "Polaroid Pete" with a polaroid license but got pulled RIGHT before release. Instead of using 3D graphics for characters, it uses a cut-out style similar to parappa. Here's some gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2RDU3o1-RY

Oh, and NamcoXCapcom is a MUST, now that there's an easily obtainable 100% fan translation.
    never heard of these before ;p most i focus on PS2 games in USA since i dont understand japanese ;p but it was fun watching their youtube videos (jelly of people knowing japanese)

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    Snoopy vs the Red Baron is a fantastic "Star Fox" style flight shooting game. Especially since you mention enjoying Skygunner.
    The bi-plane which Snoopy flies is quite slow at first, but as you buy stronger engines and get accustomed to using the afterburners then the game plays plenty fast.
    Them missions and characters are true to the Peanuts universe. The game has a lot of charm, solid control and gameplay, and dozens of levels.
    I highly recommend it.
    =D i am going to add Snoopy Vs the Red Baron to my list =)

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Here are a few interesting lesser-known titles I've picked up:

Chulip
    Culdcept
    Dual Hearts
    Heavenly Guardian
    Magic Pengel: The Quest for Color
    Shepherd's Crossing
    The Nightmare of Druaga: Fushigino Dungeon
    Tokobot Plus: Mysteries of the Karakuri
    =D i have all expect for Shepherd's Crossing =) i try to hunt it down thanks =)

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

As far as RPGs go, I really liked the Shadow Hearts series. The first two have a sort of horror or dark theme to them, where as the 3rd one is more light hearted.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

This thread must have the following titles mentioned:

FreQuency
    Amplitude

Harmonix rhythm titles. See where Rock Band and Guitar Hero got their start.

Sky Odyssey

A tremendously fun flying game that I personally liken to Pilotwings, but only with planes.

God Hand

Beat-Em Up that is always highly recommended. I've owned it for years but never got around to playing it.

Champions of Norrath
    Champions: Return to Arms

They're well known, but you need to play these if you haven't. Isometric dungeon crawls with Diablo-like loot fests. The first one is my personal favorite PS2 title.

Bombastic

A great puzzle title, successor to the equally awesome Devil Dice on PS1.

Rumble Racing

Unlicensed but incredibly fun racing title.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    This thread must have the following titles mentioned:

FreQuency
    Amplitude

Harmonix rhythm titles. See where Rock Band and Guitar Hero got their start.

Sky Odyssey

A tremendously fun flying game that I personally liken to Pilotwings, but only with planes.

God Hand

Beat-Em Up that is always highly recommended. I've owned it for years but never got around to playing it.

Champions of Norrath
    Champions: Return to Arms

They're well known, but you need to play these if you haven't. Isometric dungeon crawls with Diablo-like loot fests. The first one is my personal favorite PS2 title.

Bombastic

A great puzzle title, successor to the equally awesome Devil Dice on PS1.

Rumble Racing

Unlicensed but incredibly fun racing title.
    I'm glad someone mentioned Sky Odyssey. I got this a year or two ago in a giant lot. I didn't think I'd like it but fell in love. It's so fucking charming.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

If you like the old AKI style N64 wrestling games (No Mercy, etc.) check out:

Galactic Wrestling Featuring Ultimate M.U.S.C.L.E.

It's got more wrestlers and features than the GameCube M.U.S.C.L.E. game, it's over-the-top crazy stuff and plays at a much brisker pace than the N64 games.

It's crazy fun with 4 players and a great party game!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I love Sky Odyssey. Glad to see it getting a mention.

It didn't win any beauty contest even when new. But the gameplay, the charm, the atmosphere, and the music more than made up for the fairly primitive graphics it had (even when just compared to other early PS2 releases).

And it's not a PS2 game, but Snoopy Vs the Red Baron has a nice sequal on XBLA called Snoopy Flying Ace. It was on some list I saw recently of games being delisted or in danger of being delisted soon. I'm not sure how valid that concern is, but if anyone enjoyed the PS2/PSP original or believes they would, consider grabbing the sequel if it's of interest to you before it's possibly too late.

Edit: Looks like it's getting a spirtual sequel of sorts on the PC/Mac as well. It's called Sky Legends and is under development right now. It lacks the Peanuts license, but the description sounds an awful lot like those two earlier games.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-20-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LordsOfSkulls View Post
    =D i am going to add Snoopy Vs the Red Baron to my list =)
    Glad to hear you're going to give Snoopy vs The Red Baron a try, I really love that game, and it was one of the few games of the PS2 generation which drew back to continue playing day after day. I've never read anyone else mention that game on a forum, but reviews are always favorable, and there is a sequel released for Xbox live. (edit: ah I see Leo A mentioned the sequel, thanks!)

Another game I can't recommend enough is Raw Danger
    It is the 2nd game in the series, the first is known as Disaster Report, the third is on PSP, and the 4th game was nearly released for PS3 but the Great East Earthquake put an end to development.
    There were some fantastic write-ups online about Raw Danger, but I couldn't find them with google since the ign, and gamefaq, and gamestop links clog up the searches.
    Here is a good write-up from hardcore gaming 101
    Last edited by Koa Zo; 02-20-2013 at 09:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sadly the PSP game was Japanese only. Unless it saw a fan translation, it's pretty much worthless to most English speakers since the dialogue isn't unimportant in these games.

It was denied, but it was well known that Disaster Report 4 was having development issues. I remain convinced that the earthquake simply served as a convenient excuse for them to cancel it and save face by making it look like a gesture to not release a game featuring a disaster similar to a tragedy that just happened that might hit too close to home.

Look at Raw Danger/Disaster Report 2. It's all about a levee breaking and flooding. Yet Irem had no issues licensing it for North American distribution not terribly long after Hurricane Katrina (Nor did gamer's or the gaming press react negatively towards it).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shadow of Destiny / Memories is excellent - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_of_Memories

Way of the Samurai is also great - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Way_of_the_Samurai

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    Shadow of Destiny / Memories is excellent - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_of_Memories
    I also really enjoyed this game. First PS2 game I played through to completion, if memory serves.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.