Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happens in 10 years when all the TVs are HDTVs?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What happens in 10 years when all the TVs are HDTVs?

Do we have to resort to keeping around a couple 'classic' TVs for the sole purpose of playing colecovision games? As I understand it, by 2006 every TV should be HDTV or DTV compatible, with the ultimate goal of eliminating Standard Television, or NTSC format. Which means that no old devices will work on the new sets.

Stock up NOW! Quick!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't worry. I'm sure someone'll make converters and stuff like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's no way that they flat out won't support NTSC. That would just be foolish. Hopefully we won't have to settle for crummy, lagged, upscan conversion, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

old Tv's will be another thing to look for at thrift stores....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It'll be supported. Just think that anything you have that's 4X3 will have bars on the sides on your 16X9 HDTV.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

is that 2006 deadline still on? i remember a lot of televison stations and networks were grumbling about it, high production and equipment costs for a very tiny audience. i mean we have about 2 years to go, how many people do you know with an HDTV? i cant even imagine my mom and her generation ever shelling out $2000 to see the fine hairs of alex trebeck's moustache. maybe if the economy was doing better, right now most households are waiting until its under $300 at wal-mart i think. since this is the domain of the FCC we'll have to see what colin powell's corp. whore of a son wants us to do...stay tuned!

isnt there some angle where they have to switch because the FCC promised a chunk of the signal spectrum to pagers and mobile phones? perhaps PDF will share some industry info with us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One reason for the push to switch is the incredibly inefficient use of the radio spectrum that is broadcast TV. If you look at the FCC spectrum allocation here, you can see just how much broadcast TV occupies. It wouldn't be so bad, but how many broadcast stations do you actually receive? Probably less than 10, even with a giant rotating yagi antenna. That's a lot of spectrum wasted, considering there is allocation for channels 2-69.

The FCC is planning on auctioning off certain portions of the now-TV broadcast spectrum. This keeps changing, and a lot could happen between now and 2006. Just do a search for 'tv spectrum auction' and see all the articles relating.

Portions of the TV spectrum have already been axed. Remember when TVs used to tune to channel 83? If you have an old TV with manual fine tuning, tune around the 70-83 area & listen in on cell phone conversations. It's hours of fun.

You will, at least, be able to purchase decoders for use with current televisions. Expect the price on these to drop dramatically when NTSC broadcasts cease, and the backlash from millions of angry soap-fans and senior citizens hits.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Glad you asked this fluke. I've been kinda curious about this myself. Of course, I rarely watch TV, so I have a feeling I won't be buying a HDTV until they're practiacally giving them away, but still I was wondering if they had some sort of backwards compatability in them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

If I remember correctly, you can buy a converter for an older TV for around $100.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, considering the bang up job they've been doing so far to get HDTV into consumers' hands, I don't think the 2006 date will hold. Thanks for all the info though everybody!

*runs to buy an old 83 channel tv*

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy
    Don't worry. I'm sure someone'll make converters and stuff like that.
    Yeah exactly, already asked this in a store, and they do have them already but they are on the expensive side if I remember correctly, though I guess due to the price of the tvs to begin with is why the adaptor cost so much. Anyhow I did not buy either to much money for me right now .

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's why you should play all your old systems on RGB monitors. I'm always going to play my old stuff in RGB, like the artist intended.

Then with the PS3 and XBOX 2 and GameCube 2, all of those should be fully HDTV compatible. We should be playing games on the next generation of systems at incredibly high resolutions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Default Re: What happens in 10 years when all the TVs are HDTVs?

Quote Originally Posted by anotherfluke
    Do we have to resort to keeping around a couple 'classic' TVs for the sole purpose of playing colecovision games?
    It will probably come down to that. That's my plan, anyway, since I have a few systems e.g. - a very early production 4-port Atari 5200, that I am not willing to risk converting to composite output.

It's kind of funny to think that in a few years my old 5200 will probably be the only thing within a 100 mile radius broadcasting a signal on Channel 3.

I can envision this nightmare scenario wherein even the thrift stores won't stock pre-2006 tellys because...well, what would be the point? (gasp) x_x Better get two or three TV's with good tubes while supplies last.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

huh? I don't understand. Is there a problem playing 2600/Colecovision/5200 consoles on HDTV's? Someone explain please

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    That's why you should play all your old systems on RGB monitors. I'm always going to play my old stuff in RGB, like the artist intended.
    In fact, the graphic artists of most older (16-bit and back) console games designed their work to look "best" on NTSC televisions, not RGB monitors. GBA artists work with RGB monitors, but they examine their work on real GBAs; console artists examined their work on NTSC televisions, since that's what players would be using.

-- Z.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@NE146, there's no problem right now, because current HDTVs are designed to accept the (inferior) NTSC signal that TVs have been using for years. But The US is supposed to go completely digital within the next few years, so the Gov't can stop using the radio bandwidth that channels 2-69, and give the bandwidth to other devices (like cell phones). When that happens, any device that uses RF signals (like 2600s) will not work, because newer TVs won't have the hardware to recognize that signal.

Also, The Format itself may not be compatible, so even for things that have composite out (like the NES), we will still need an upscan converter to display the signal that we can get to the TV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

x_x what anotherfluke mentioned is frightening! i really hope this is not the case, or all my stuff is unusable? add to that my lower high end a/v equipment...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

The migration to HDTV is not the first time the FCC re-allocated bandwidth for other communication purposes. Ever wonder what happened to your television's channel 1? You can read about it here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What's this warm chocolate puddin' stuff I see around here? Is that a actual term? It sounds stupid, I got to think its some stupid term started at classic gaming boards..

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My guess is that some company will be smart enough to start selling custom videogame monitors that are basically NTSC TV's that only receive channel 3 & 4, and they'll make a killing selling them to all us classic gamers around here.

As for the warm chocolate puddin' thing, I agree, it's gotten very old, and only a very select few people seem to know what the hell it really means. And none of them are telling what it means either, so it's just retarded. I still don't know what the hell it means, but I'm getting very tired of wondering.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!