Thread: Turbografx 16 CD Noisy, Normal?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Turbografx 16 CD Noisy, Normal?

I have a Turbografx 16 cd player that works fine and all (reads well, loads ok) but its a little noisy, is this normal?. I can tell the noise happens when the gears moves around when reading the cd media.

I went ahead and followed the great console5 cleaning and lubricating guide tutorial: http://console5.com/wiki/Turbo_Grafx_CD_Gear_Cleaning , but the noise still remains.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can you describe the noise? Does it happen when the CD is spinning? During seek? Does it change tone or frequency if playing higher tracks on the disc?
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sonicfan View Post
    I have a Turbografx 16 cd player that works fine and all (reads well, loads ok) but its a little noisy, is this normal?. I can tell the noise happens when the gears moves around when reading the cd media.

I went ahead and followed the great console5 cleaning and lubricating guide tutorial: http://console5.com/wiki/Turbo_Grafx_CD_Gear_Cleaning , but the noise still remains.
    Turbo CDs do run loud compared to most modern systems, if we're talking Dreamcast loud you have big problems, my unit is a comparable to s Sega Saturn or Sega CD, and a bit louder than a PSP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The noise happens during the seeking. For some reason sounds louder when playing cd games than when playing music cd's . I just added a little more white lithium grease to the worm gear & rails and the noise went down a notch. Does the whole worm gear needs to be lubricated?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A little goes a long way when lubing the worm gear.

I suspect you may be hearing servo noise from the lens itself. The phenomena is described here:

http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_cdfaq7.html#CDFAQ_002

The TG16 CD is a noisy little bugger. If its reading fine I wouldn't be concerned about it. If you can post a sound file of it I should be able to tell you if it's servo noise or something else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll try to get an audio file soon.

Thanks for sharing that link with laser description, mine is more like a grinding noise though.

After I went in there to clean and lube everything I started experiencing getting the laser stuck near the outer side of the track. I quickly notice it was the laser lens ribbon cable, it starts to bulge around that spot and leans against the laser head putting pressure on it, or pushing against it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the servo sound can be grindy, squealy, lots of sounds depending on the settings, and can be quite loud.

The ribbon cable design is a factor in the laser getting stuck. Moves easy at the ends of travel, but not so much in the middle - a very nonlinear effort for the sled motor. It strikes me as just not a great design, especially seeing how trouble-free later CD mechs can be. The Duo's simpler HOPM3 mech is so much less trouble to get working reliably.