Thread: Anyone else an FDS fan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone else an FDS fan?

Just curious if anyone else was into collecting/playing the Famicom Disk System. I have always been fascinated by the FDS. I recently got mine, and I am trying to meet others who collect/play it. Just a nerd trying to make a few friends.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

I'd love to get an FDS....it's probably one of my self-appointed Holy Grails.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I've got one, and I like it quite a bit. I only have two games for it right now - Akumajo Dracula and Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa - but I'm trying to get more. Specifically, I'm hunting for Doki Doki Panic right now.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Disk System has some pretty cool games, most of which are by Konami or Nintendo. The only problem with the FDS is that I hear they break easily, usually some rubber band inside the system. I kind of dread getting an FDS someday, since I no doubt will run into that problem at some point. Hopefully there's a guide to fixing them somewhere on the net.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldRimmer83
    The Disk System has some pretty cool games, most of which are by Konami or Nintendo. The only problem with the FDS is that I hear they break easily, usually some rubber band inside the system.
    Yup. Actually, I just had my FDS drive break down the other day. Chances are it was the drive belt, which means it should at least be fixable. Here's to hoping, anyway.

(The disks aren't all that reliable, either -- since they don't have a shutter over the exposed magnetic surface of the disk, they seem to have a tendancy to die earlier than one would expect.)

Luckily, if you have the RAM adapter cartridge that comes with the FDS, it's possible to build an adapter that connects it to a PC, which you can then use as a surrogate disk drive. It's one way of getting around having to fiddle with swapping disks, or worry about them eventually going dead on you, anyway.

The details of how to build the adapter are on the 'nesdev' site, and thanks to Brad Taylor's excellent work, they're really simple to build. If anyone's interested, PM me for more information. I *really* recommend them.

Later!

--
    _zane

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bleh. Pretend that the above post was written while I was signed in. x_x

--
    _zane

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

It'd be neat if someone hacked a way to read and rewrite to the surface of Famicom disks. They will demagnitize over time but a way to prolong the life of the media is to do simply that, a format and rewrite of the data.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I wish there was a guide on the net for fixing them. I actually have mine laying out, opened. I am having trouble getting a new band on.

Any help?