Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    That is the worst console name in video game history. How can you name your THIRD console ONE? Now when we go to search the original XBOX it's going to be mixed in with this one. Unbelievably stupid.
    Not as bad as "xbox 720" would have been imo.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Well, until they show a games-in-development lineup from all the usual suspects my fears are realized.

Diminished focus on games and/or game franchises that would keep me interested in the XBOX brand.

While I know that billions do, I don't play HALO, Call of Duty, Forza or any sports games.

So, based on what I saw today, system hardware looks fine, but there's not a game in the lot that has me even remotely interested.

I'm also amused by the inclusion of a Blu-Ray drive. Sony developed tech in a directly-competing game console. Brilliant.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wouldn't worry about the software. That'll come. The box is pretty much right in line with expectations and, like the PS4, probably addressed just about all of developers' major complaints from this previous generation. So long as there are no major hiccups like reliability issues, crippling bottlenecks, or insane price points holding it back, I can't imagine publishers will shy away. I'm rarely an early adopter but when's the last time a console has been a slam dunk with its software lineup right out of the gate, let alone during the initial reveal?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh boy. Even though I enjoyed the original XBOX and the 360, this one looks like a dunk in the meh tank. Used games not allowed killed it for me. Way to go Microsoft.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the software. That'll come. The box is pretty much right in line with expectations and, like the PS4, probably addressed just about all of developers' major complaints from this previous generation. So long as there are no major hiccups like reliability issues, crippling bottlenecks, or insane price points holding it back, I can't imagine publishers will shy away. I'm rarely an early adopter but when's the last time a console has been a slam dunk with its software lineup right out of the gate, let alone during the initial reveal?
    Well, I would say based on the lack of exclusive 3rd party content and new 1st party IPs in the recent past on the 360 that they COULD HAVE made a greater effort to plant some seed of interest in my demographic (those who have largely migrated away from 360 relative to the lack of varied exclusives).

I'm sure that we'll get a better scope of what software may be coming in the near future, but personally I was hoping for some more sizzle reels here. What we did get was more of the same-old-same-old IMO: FORZA, SPORTS, COD, SPORTS and SPORTS.

As far as strong launch lineups? I'll always remember Dreamcast having a particularly varied selection of stuff to choose from that showed off the system's power and abilities.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now when we go to search the original XBOX it's going to be mixed in with this one. Unbelievably stupid.
    I know I got confused by the name already. I saw the title of another thread about PS4 and Xbox one.

I didn't know why they were comparing a new system to a system from a couple of generations ago.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I might get one if somebody hacks the system to rid it of the required installation process. Then still buy the games new if I want to support publishers. That way I'd at least know if the servers get shut down when the system after this one comes out, my games would still work due to not having to be activated anymore.

But look at it this way, people won't be able to sell their used games for as high of prices because everybody knows there will be that added on fee. So will we be seeing used Xbox One games for $5 on ebay across the board? I also imagine there will be games that won't sell well and just end up in the budget $20 section new after a while if $50 seems too much per game.

At least they have some sort of system where games are transferrable period and used discs don't ever become useless.

Still everything about it makes this system behave more like a PC than a console when it comes to game installation (minus having to deal with knowing whether or not you have the right system specs and good brands of chipsets.)

It's not like PS3 where just part of the game is installed; this process installs the whole thing. It's like buying digital games, only you have a physical backup disc of that digital game now. So this system is a viable route for people who buy digital download games all the time. The real question is what kinds of games will compete between this system and the PS4. And will the Wii U ever get some kinds of games so innovative and fun like a really high quality Zelda that people will want one even after getting one of the newer systems.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Didn't you buy a Wii U at launch? So I'm going to quote you on Wii U not being next gen in the future okay?

I'm just kidding, though. I'll probably still quote you on it, but as long as it has good games, next gen doesn't matter.
    You must have me confused with someone else. I did buy a WiiU at launch. I don't consider the WiiU "next generation" whatever that means. I consider it more of a half or quarter step between the Wii/Xbox 360/PS3 generation and the upcoming PS4 and Xbox One generation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Everybody is assuming that Sony isn't going to have a similar used game policy, but I'm not so sure about that.

First off, while Sony did say that a person would be able to play used games on the PS4, they didn't say "how" that would be accomplished. Technically, used games "will" be playable on Xbox One, but it will come with a fee. Sony could end up doing the exact same thing. My interest in both consoles is going to be tepid at best, until there is more information on how the whole used game thing is going to work.

TONS of unanswered questions still remain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did they get their naming scheme from HTC?

HTC's newest phone is called the ONE.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Everybody is assuming that Sony isn't going to have a similar used game policy, but I'm not so sure about that.

First off, while Sony did say that a person would be able to play used games on the PS4, they didn't say "how" that would be accomplished. Technically, used games "will" be playable on Xbox One, but it will come with a fee. Sony could end up doing the exact same thing. My interest in both consoles is going to be tepid at best, until there is more information on how the whole used game thing is going to work.

TONS of unanswered questions still remain.
    I agree. Sony definitely left the door open for charging for used games and for games requiring an Internet connection. Frankly, I don't think it's likely that big publishers like EA would accept a closed system from Microsoft, but a wide open one from Sony. If anything, I think it's more likely that both new platforms will have structures in place to charge for used copies which in and of itself will require an Internet connection for at least some amount of time to do the registration.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

I am amused by this too. Does that mean that by some licensing agreement with whomever made the drive, Sony ultimately gets a piece of MSFT's pie? They have to buy the drive, and the manufacturer probably charges some fee to MSFT to offset the cost of licensing the rights from Sony? Not really sure how it works, but it seems logical?

Also, in response to whomever stated they were content with 500GB, I thought that 500GB seemed a bit paltry in this day and age

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post

I'm also amused by the inclusion of a Blu-Ray drive. Sony developed tech in a directly-competing game console. Brilliant.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifersam1 View Post
    I am amused by this too. Does that mean that by some licensing agreement with whomever made the drive, Sony ultimately gets a piece of MSFT's pie? They have to buy the drive, and the manufacturer probably charges some fee to MSFT to offset the cost of licensing the rights from Sony? Not really sure how it works, but it seems logical?

Also, in response to whomever stated they were content with 500GB, I thought that 500GB seemed a bit paltry in this day and age
    Yes, Sony is part of the group of patent holding companies that created Blu Ray and therefore shares in licensing fees for both hardware and discs. Having said that, those total licensing fees are only about $10 for a drive and under fifteen cents per disc last time I checked and Sony's share is a much smaller piece of each of those. Of course, in success, Microsoft could end up paying Sony millions in licensing fees for drives and discs.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

So far none of it impresses me at all.

I did find this funny though

But to me that kinda bugs me... Is that to me its no longer a video game console... I mean Xbox 360 was following a thin line... But now its a computer.... Might as well just buy a gaming pc and a hook up a 360 controller and BAM same exact damn thing

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    Did they get their naming scheme from HTC?

HTC's newest phone is called the ONE.
    I thought it was taken from Pepsi. They could have just got Michael J Fox to help advertise it and it might seem cooler. To me it looks like a satellite receiver.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

That is the worst console name in video game history.
    No...that would be "Wii" followed by "Wii U". Both are infinitely worse.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Saturn", "Dreamcast", and "PlayStation" are serious contenders for worst console names ever. Especially "Dreamcast" and "PlayStation".

And "Neo-Geo". And "Turbo Grafx 16". And "Xbox".

In fact, most video game console names are really stupid.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 05-21-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Elysiun
    PSN
    Sabaku_Hoshi
    Steam
    Nionel

Sony could really use this whole used games debacle to their advantage if they were to announce that they don't have restrictions for used games on the PS4, ditto to Nintendo since we know for a fact the Wii U doesn't have any blocks on used games.

Back on topic, the reveal was pretty underwhelming. While I thought that CoD: Ghosts looks better than the previous CoD titles, and I'm not a CoD fan, but I don't care about Forza and EA's sports titles. This whole thin just made me wonder what happened to using game consoles to play games? I mean, yeah, I've used my Xbox and PS3 for Netflix and watching movies, but live TV and Skype? This is getting a little crazy. Call me old fashioned, but I want my console to do gaming first and have everything else take a back seat to that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't know, nothing is quite as embarrassing as showing that you don't know how to count.

Saturn is a great name - Titan too. Nothing wrong with Dreamcast either.

@ WCP:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...online-for-ps4

Maybe Sony's been treated more gently by the leaks, but when you've ruled out an always-online policy, the most obvious method of ruling out used game usage - tying an activation code to one account, and only moving it if the current owner pays a fee - doesn't seem workable.