0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    This console is evil, and if people buy it theyre apart of the problem. It goes beyond problems in gaming into problems with society. A huge corporation is selling kids a box that will spy on them 24/7, once parent s figure this out I hope they'll make their kids understand how bad this is, but most kids wont listen. I hope the machine dies at the store and people stay away from it.

This is the worst console ever made, its worse than the Pippin, Jaguar, and the CD-i.
    This is pretty much my feelings on the X-Box one. I think it's a huge problem on many levels. Locked down hardware, locked down software, economic issues, privacy issues, etc. I will not be buying one, no matter what. You're control and privacy is slowly being eroded away. Stop supporting this crap!
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    This is pretty much my feelings on the X-Box one. I think it's a huge problem on many levels. Locked down hardware, locked down software, economic issues, privacy issues, etc. I will not be buying one, no matter what. You're control and privacy is slowly being eroded away. Stop supporting this crap!
    Which console's didn't have locked down hardware and software?

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

We know what happens when righteous indignation incites a concerted effort to "beat the system," both figuratively and literally. Regardless of where you fall on the right vs. wrong of it, there's no denying this chaotic neutral force acts as the great equalizer. We just have to wait and see if Microsoft is overstepping the invisible line that triggers a digital rebellion that would threaten the bottom line.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Did they intentionally use a guy that looks like Bill Gates in that video?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    I think he means physical software that is electronically married to a console/user.

This will be the first time in the history of home consoles that console games will be released at brick/mortar on physical media that only serves as a delivery medium to install data on the console's hard drive and registers it to a user/console ID.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I think he means physical software that is electronically married to a console/user.

This will be the first time in the history of home consoles that console games will be released at brick/mortar on physical media that only serves as a delivery medium to install data on the console's hard drive and registers it to a user/console ID.
    Pretty sad really.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    I can't think of any other video game console in history that prevented people from trading games, borrowing games, renting games, or buying used games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    We do have what Sony revealed at their press event. They could have easily said, no Internet connection required and used games work the same way they do today. Given how much Internet and video game media speculation there was following the discovery of that Sony patent last year and in the weeks and months leading up to their event, they had to be aware that it was a concern. The fact that they didn't immediately storm the video game media the minute Microsoft's press event ended today trumpeting that the PS4 doesn't require an Internet connection and that used games are completely transferrable and reusable without additional fees indicates that maybe that's not the whole story. Just like rumors can sometimes have a kernel of truth inside, so too can omissions or a lack of a firm and complete statement of information from company spokespeople.

Sony needs EA and just because EA is providing Microsoft with added features doesn't mean they are going single console this time. Without Fifa and Madden, Sony would have no viable football or soccer games and would lose two of its consistently biggest selling third party games worldwide. Sony also stated at least once in the past few weeks that it will allow content providers to choose how they do content protection. You can be sure that Sony will allow EA and any other third party which so chooses to limit content to a single user or family and require Internet activation in much the same way that online passes used to work.
    There was this article, which quotes Sony's head of worldwide game studios, Shuhei Yoshida as saying the PS4 won't require a connection. But they're leaving it up to publishers to decide if some of their games have to be registered online. Sony isn't requiring it.

http://kotaku.com/5985874/ps4-will-n...ine-connection

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    I can't think of any other video game console in history that prevented people from trading games, borrowing games, renting games, or buying used games.
    Well you will still be able to trade in the game on MS's XBL in some form for credit! Ha ha. And I guess toss the disc/case in the trash. This has been the way of the world in PC gaming for awhile now, including games that are entirely online. I know of several motorsports simulation services which are fee based, and don't require any discs. The difference is nobody really minds there, because it's fee based. Console gaming has always been much more of shorter/smaller games with multiplayer melees.

I would think this is largely the end for GameStop (eventually) and services like Red Box and GameFly which "rent" out games. I mean, all this Xbox One is, is a cheap PC. But it's not a PC. The cable TV watching is highly misleading. Most Cable services provide apps for some channels not all. You need a cable card for that, which the Xbox won't have. There are so many avenues Microsoft will cut off with this product I really don't get it? I think they will still charge you if you install onto a friend's XBOX One, and he wants to keep that game.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Did they intentionally use a guy that looks like Bill Gates in that video?
    I thought the same thing!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CelticJobber View Post
    There was this article, which quotes Sony's head of worldwide game studios, Shuhei Yoshida as saying the PS4 won't require a connection. But they're leaving it up to publishers to decide if some of their games have to be registered online. Sony isn't requiring it.

http://kotaku.com/5985874/ps4-will-n...ine-connection
    I already went through this "interview" in the other thread, but he didn't unequivocally say that a connection won't be required, only that users won't be forced to be online if they don't want to be. That doesn't mean that some kind of game activation won't be required and tied to a specific user account as that has nothing to do with being social, that's a straight up security and licensing issue. Like I've said here and elsewhere, I really do hope Sony doesn't lock out used copies or require any Internet connection ever just like the current PS3, but they have been far from clear about it and frankly, given the uproar Microsoft caused yesterday, I'm worried that Sony's silence today is an indication that things aren't exactly as all of us hope they will be with the PS4.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I would think this is largely the end for GameStop (eventually) and services like Red Box and GameFly which "rent" out games. I mean, all this Xbox One is, is a cheap PC. But it's not a PC. The cable TV watching is highly misleading. Most Cable services provide apps for some channels not all. You need a cable card for that, which the Xbox won't have. There are so many avenues Microsoft will cut off with this product I really don't get it? I think they will still charge you if you install onto a friend's XBOX One, and he wants to keep that game.
    What are the odds GameStop revolts and doesn't push the One very hard or even refuses to stock it to any significant extent? Just look at how much their PC section has dwindled over the years. It's an interesting proposition since they're both giants that can slaughter each other. Microsoft needs GameStop as much as GameStop needs a second hand market. But GameStop is probably thinking about precedent here. No retailer is going to actively support a machine that, if successful, will destroy them. The One's success would demonstrate to Sony and Nintendo that this business model is viable. GameStop is going to want that line in the sand: this is our territory. It's ironic that GameStop, oft reviled among the "hardcore" gaming public, is actually these gamers' biggest asset.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Chew on this: Microsoft forces installs on the Xbox One, and then renders the disc copy of a video game useless. It would need to be reactivated for a fee. Otherwise, people could pass the game around to friends and they all play, right? Industry dies.

But, hold on here. On BOTH Windows PCs and the 360, you can rip a music CD to the HDD legally, and pass the disc on to anyone. Music industry survives just fine. How are games different in terms of software, and how hypocritical is MS in this scenario?

For this to work, MS is going to need to differentiate between software mediums, and I don't think they can do it to the average consumer.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    Chew on this: Microsoft forces installs on the Xbox One, and then renders the disc copy of a video game useless. It would need to be reactivated for a fee. Otherwise, people could pass the game around to friends and they all play, right? Industry dies.
    I was just thinking about this, how friends could pass their games around and just have one guy have the install account and they could all use that one account ton their Ones. The measure itself is to really stop used game sales of games, but going to your buddies place to play on their system is something every kid with friends does. Ive been telling all my friends about this, and they instantly dont want the console. Where did you get that info from though, exactly?

I have no clue what Microsoft is thinking, everyone I talk to who learns about these things instantly shuns off buying the thing.
    Last edited by JakeM; 05-23-2013 at 02:45 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post

But, hold on here. On BOTH Windows PCs and the 360, you can rip a music CD to the HDD legally, and pass the disc on to anyone. Music industry survives just fine. How are games different in terms of software, and how hypocritical is MS in this scenario?

For this to work, MS is going to need to differentiate between software mediums, and I don't think they can do it to the average consumer.
    I'm guessing you don't know much about the music industry. It's not "surviving just fine". It's in the worst financial situation it's ever been in since it started. iTunes has essentially killed the album business and made music into a single based business where the value of a song is now whatever pricing they can get away with on iTunes. The sad part about all of this is that people already have bought into the model with things like the iPad and PC games where it has been the norm not to be able to transfer your license for software or to own anything beyond the opportunity to use the software on a certain device or devices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post

Yep, you got it. That's exactly what I meant.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    The measure itself is to really stop used game sales of games, but going to your buddies place to play on their system is something every kid with friends does. Ive been telling all my friends about this, and they instantly dont want the console. Where did you get that info from though, exactly?
    From Major Nelson:

"should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile."

So, it's possible to play elsewhere, BUT you would need your profile and active internet connection or pay a fee, i.e., no lending games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

I'm guessing you don't know much about the music industry. It's not "surviving just fine". It's in the worst financial situation it's ever been in since it started. iTunes has essentially killed the album business and made music into a single based business where the value of a song is now whatever pricing they can get away with on iTunes. The sad part about all of this is that people already have bought into the model with things like the iPad and PC games where it has been the norm not to be able to transfer your license for software or to own anything beyond the opportunity to use the software on a certain device or devices.
    The music industry is struggling for other reasons, not because people have ripped CDs to their HDDs legally. That's my point.

Steam, despite being showered with love, was a precursor for where we're headed. People envision a future where everything is like Steam, and only consider the sales side of it. They don't consider the restrictions, no do they consider that in a digital world, publishers don't need Steam, Steam needs publishers. EA set up Origin for a reason, and it's for direct sale. If people want the game, they'll go where it's available, and every AAA publisher would be stupid not to have their own digital storefronts. Cut out the middle man.

Same goes for Netflix.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm guessing you don't know much about the music industry. It's not "surviving just fine". It's in the worst financial situation it's ever been in since it started. iTunes has essentially killed the album business and made music into a single based business
    The music industry was already like that from the 1950s on. Remember 45s, cassette maxi singles, and CD singles?
    Last edited by Rob2600; 05-23-2013 at 11:58 AM.