Thread: Official Super Retro Trio Review & Preorder Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

haha,

actually, the particular SRT Ace is using is mine. I lent it to him so he could conduct tests and do some mods.

A lot of the findings were mine as I have a significantly larger NES library than he does. but hey, I'm not after the credit, just the facts.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Seems to me people choosing this over the Retron5 probably need to re-evaluate their standards as that list of games failing to work right is pretty bad given the games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Seems to me people choosing this over the Retron5 probably need to re-evaluate their standards as that list of games failing to work right is pretty bad given the games.
    The Retron5 does not interest me. Id rather have fun messing around with old school clone hardware than with an Android based emulator and cart ripper in one. Also, retron5 wont work with my CRT TV.

Back to the SRT, here is my own personal and concise review after an hour trying games with the unit.

SNES: The Super nes part seems very good. Both audio and video is excellent. Vibrant colors and sharp s-video. I am also really looking forward to playing some SNES games with a genesis 6 button pad.
    Also, I just found myself a Not too expensive Super retro Advance. Ordered online. I will finally be able to compare it with the AD adapter.

Genesis: I am a bit disappointed by the genesis side excessive s-video jailbar and loud DAC noise on the audio. The jailbar problem can probably be improved with modding but not sure with the DAC noise. It is the same DAC noise that you get on the real Genesis but very loud, it is up there with the worst revisions like VA7 and early model 2.

NES: The NES part has a pretty good composite picture. It seems a bit blurrier than on a real NES, unless I imagine things, but this might help softening out those damn shimmering pixel composite artifact that I totally abhor. Main problem is definitely that sound glitch. While the sound is decent enough when not glitching, it totally kills the fun when it appears. I wish we had numbers on how many of the units have the glitch vs. dont. But my feeling currently is that most units have it.

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A little update. First, I have cancelled my Retron5 preorder because I got tired of Hyperkin's BS.

Second, I have a Powerbase Mini on the way from Stone Age Gamer, so I'll be testing it later with the Trio.

Third, I found a problem with my Super Retro Trio yesterday when my friend came over. He wanted to play Turtles III, and when I plugged in the Player 2 controller in NES mode, it didn't respond correctly. The only button on the player 2 controller that yields a response is the A button, which acts like everything is pressed at once. So basically it's the same controller defect I had on the first unit, but this time on the player 2 side. Zapper still works fine since the D3 and D4 inputs bypass strait to the NOAC board, but now I have to use the Trio or a Genesis controller for NES if I want two players. Sigh...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I should also warn people of a finding me and ace came to.

Use the SNES side sparingly as it has a severe design oversight that we're both almost certain will result in serious consequences after prolonged use:

The Super NES side of the SRT has two surface mounted RAM chips at U2 and U7 that are KM68U1000Cs. These RAM chips carry a voltage range of 2.7~3.3V. Problem is, the SRT is designed to work with a regulated 5V power supply. Given that these RAM chips are only designed to handle up to a maximum 3.3V, this kind of over-voltage will severely reduce the life of the RAM to an estimated 1000 hours or less. Once that happens the Super Nintendo side will not function at all, and there is no way to fix this short of replacing the RAM.

The existing RAM needs to be replaced with 5V compliant KM681000s.

I've already contacted my Retro-Bit rep directly about this and they'll be fixing this in the future, but revisions of this nature could take 6-8 months before they happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really happy with my SRT so far. It has been a blast finally playing genesis/mega drive games and I have yet to notice any sound issues which made the deal all the more sweeter. I'm late to the party so I won't bother echoing what Satoshi and Stardust have mentioned about the various NES issues but I'm still very pleased. I was even surprised with the quality of the controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Yeah, isn't it GREAT?! Retro-Bit really outdid themselves with that controller. I've been in contact with them and told them they should sell them individually for $9.99.

I would promote the hell out of that. Those controllers are absolutely excellent, even better than the Super Retro Controllers that came with the first model RetroDuo Portable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Almost a year later my SRT is still going strong however I wonder if anyone in the know has heard of a hardware revision that fixes the genesis noise? I know there were a few revisions of the retro duo.

I don't trust myself to do mods, so I'd rather just buy an updated unit if possible

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Skool_Fool View Post
    There's nothing better than a all in one classic system like the soon to be released Super Retro Trio console by Retrobit.

I am going to give you guys a first real (non rendered image) look at this crazy soon to be staple console. Also as you know I cover all the reviews for most popular vintage products, and will be attending E3 as well next week to showcase other cool vintage gaming stuffs!

Also on a side note, if you guys preorder now, the unit will Ship Free for all continental US gamers.
    Love the SVideo and Composite option on the Super Retro Trio, a shame the Retron 5 is only HDMI. I know it was designed for newer HDTVs, but should hyave included the other connections as well.

I noticed the region video output switch, will the Super Retro Trio support NTSC and PAL import games such as Famicom and Super Famicom carts?
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calgon View Post
    Almost a year later my SRT is still going strong however I wonder if anyone in the know has heard of a hardware revision that fixes the genesis noise? I know there were a few revisions of the retro duo.

I don't trust myself to do mods, so I'd rather just buy an updated unit if possible
    Sound output on my SRT Genesis side is very clean. It's cleaner than the mono output on my VA7 Model 1 Genesis, and comparable to what I get from the headphone output set halfway.

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    Love the SVideo and Composite option on the Super Retro Trio, a shame the Retron 5 is only HDMI. I know it was designed for newer HDTVs, but should hyave included the other connections as well.

I noticed the region video output switch, will the Super Retro Trio support NTSC and PAL import games such as Famicom and Super Famicom carts?
    The SRT should support most PAL NES games, Famicom (with adapter) and all Super Famicom games. The region switch is for the Genesis side. The switch does not change the output video format from 60Hz, but merely sets the internal region setting on the console. Games can check this setting and refuse to run if the region is wrong. Some JU Genesis/Megadrive games share the same ROM for both regions and display alternate graphics or Japanese text when the console is set to Jap. Early PAL SNES games may run on the SRT, but games released after 1992 will refuse to load on SNES hardware with NTSC timings.

SRT is easily the most compatible of all the 3-in-1 clone consoles. I would highly recommend it.
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 08-03-2015 at 09:55 PM.