Thread: Drilling out SNES screws :C Black screen of death..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Drilling out SNES screws :C Black screen of death..

So my SNES in great condition stop working from the last time I used it quite some time ago. I tried the credit card trick and everything so I went to take it apart and all the security screws came out but one. :C. Has anyone had to drill these out if so which drill bit should I use. How big of a pita? Whats the chances of cleaning the pins out will get it to work again. How are the 62 pin replacements are they worth 20 dollars?

Also, anyone know where I can get the reset button for a SNES mini? Does thos cleaning kits work?
    Last edited by SuperSonic; 06-25-2013 at 11:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

IMHO, if you're going to buy the replacement SNES pins, you may as well go ahead and spend the extra $5-10 and get the gamebits also. It'll save you a lot of aggravation.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic View Post
    So my SNES in great condition stop working from the last time I used it quite some time ago. I tried the credit card trick and everything so I went to take it apart and all the security screws came out but one. :C. Has anyone had to drill these out if so which drill bit should I use. How big of a pita? Whats the chances of cleaning the pins out will get it to work again. How are the 62 pin replacements are they worth 20 dollars?

Also, anyone know where I can get the reset button for a SNES mini? Does thos cleaning kits work?
    1st, you cannot replace the cart connector on the mini, so scratch that off your list of to-dos.

2nd, like he ^^^ said, buy some Gamebits. They're an entirely worthwhile investment.

3rd, what are the symptoms? Have you tested the AC adapter to make sure that's not the issue? Does the TV flicker when you power up the SNES?

Here's what I use to clean cart connector pins. Works about 95% of the time.

http://www.crescentartists.com/artbo...tboard_ill.htm

Illustration board comes in quite a few thicknesses and can be cut down to little pieces that are the exact size of the cart connector that you're trying to clean. The usable surface side of the cold press board has a good amount of texture in it so it's quite effective for pulling crud and debris from the pins. You can even add a little isopropyl or other cleaner to the board if you like. Use it like any other cleaning kit, which is done by inserting the board into the port over and over again.

If that doesn't work, then the last ditch effort is to wrap a piece of 1500-2000 grit sandpaper around the board and give it 3-4 insertions into the cart port and then try a game. If still not working, then repeat. If still not working after 2-3 rounds, then you very likely have a different problem.

The only place you'll find a replacement SNES mini button is to scavenge it from another, unless you can find someone parting out SNES minis on eBay or the like.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    1st, you cannot replace the cart connector on the mini, so scratch that off your list of to-dos.

2nd, like he ^^^ said, buy some Gamebits. They're an entirely worthwhile investment.

3rd, what are the symptoms? Have you tested the AC adapter to make sure that's not the issue? Does the TV flicker when you power up the SNES?

Here's what I use to clean cart connector pins. Works about 95% of the time.

http://www.crescentartists.com/artbo...tboard_ill.htm

Illustration board comes in quite a few thicknesses and can be cut down to little pieces that are the exact size of the cart connector that you're trying to clean. The usable surface side of the cold press board has a good amount of texture in it so it's quite effective for pulling crud and debris from the pins. You can even add a little isopropyl or other cleaner to the board if you like. Use it like any other cleaning kit, which is done by inserting the board into the port over and over again.

If that doesn't work, then the last ditch effort is to wrap a piece of 1500-2000 grit sandpaper around the board and give it 3-4 insertions into the cart port and then try a game. If still not working, then repeat. If still not working after 2-3 rounds, then you very likely have a different problem.

The only place you'll find a replacement SNES mini button is to scavenge it from another, unless you can find someone parting out SNES minis on eBay or the like.
    Sorry, I already have gamebits and I should have clarified that I am having problems with two SNES's one regular that turns on and is just black screen from dirty/wore out contacts and a mini with a broken reset. It looks like it may have been open before and the person put the screw back into too tight. I even tried melting a plastic pen to it but it breaks the plastic lol. So I am going to have to drill it out. But I do have a broken mini button. Now the button doesn't work but the external plastic is fine. I saw on youtube a guy said you can find a replacement button at radioshack but didn't give a part number.

From my understanding the 62 pins are replaceable but they also cost 14-20 dollars. That is half the cost of a SNES system I am just curious how well it works and if its worth it. Anyway, Ill try the sand paper.
    Last edited by SuperSonic; 06-26-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic View Post
    Sorry, I already have gamebits and I should have clarified that I am having problems with two SNES's one regular that turns on and is just black screen from dirty/wore out contacts and a mini with a broken reset. It looks like it may have been open before and the person put the screw back into too tight. I even tried melting a plastic pen to it but it breaks the plastic lol. So I am going to have to drill it out. But I do have a broken mini button. Now the button doesn't work but the external plastic is fine. I saw on youtube a guy said you can find a replacement button at radioshack but didn't give a part number.

From my understanding the 62 pins are replaceable but they also cost 14-20 dollars. That is half the cost of a SNES system I am just curious how well it works and if its worth it. Anyway, Ill try the sand paper.
    Ah, gotcha.

Take the phat SNES apart first. Not all of them have removable pin connectors, just the earlier models

Damn, that blows :/ (about the last screw) Tried putting a pair of vice grips on the screwdriver to give yourself more leverage?

You're talking about the ACTUAL rest button on the PCB? IF so, take it off, then bring it to the shack with you and find a suitable replacement