Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Um, Did Anyone Buy An OUYA?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Um, Did Anyone Buy An OUYA?

It looks like a good option if you wanted to emulate games on your tv, while also having access for lesser known new android games. Ill get it, but I have to have the extra $100 lying around.

Did anyone buy it, or have a friend buy it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    It looks like a good option if you wanted to emulate games on your tv, while also having access for lesser known new android games. Ill get it, but I have to have the extra $100 lying around.

Did anyone buy it, or have a friend buy it?
    I want one too, if nothing else for the emulation aspect and XBMC or Plex. I think I'm gonna wait around though and wait for them to work out whatever kinks people are still having.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice to see something finally materialize in this direction. I wouldn't put money on this box taking off, but I'm highly anticipating something similar to it.

Controller looks cheap and clunky... idk.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Controller looks cheap and clunky... idk.
    I got my hands on a developer kit model of the controller at a friends place (dont ask how he got one), and it was not good, so looking at the redesign it looks like its a big improvement.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got one, bought it for retro gaming via emulators. I downloaded snex on it immediately and discovered that the usb drive does not work so there is no way to upload roms to the system. Apparently this will be fixed with a firmware release, but at the moment the console is usless to me.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by FTAiii View Post
    I've got one, bought it for retro gaming via emulators. I downloaded snex on it immediately and discovered that the usb drive does not work so there is no way to upload roms to the system. Apparently this will be fixed with a firmware release, but at the moment the console is usless to me.
    I'm seeing confirmation on other forums that external drives and USB sticks work fine but you need to format them to FAT32 and connect them before powering up the system.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Eww, ya?
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm definitely interested. To me and I think as well to mass market people who aren't just deep into gaming this is the better answer to ROKU and the knockoffs that exist of that. Roku for $99 gets you a box that streams movies, music, and television with some other browsing and misc capabilities along with limited play of games recoded for it like Angry Birds which they tout. Ouya does all that ROKU box does for the same price, does it with better hardware, and does it with the capabilities of Android meaning truly solid gaming and other apps seen on Android tablets/computers/phones.

Even if you don't want it in the least bit for hardcore or even moderate gaming, the thing is the smart buy for what it can totally handle versus lesser devices. Roku for years has been growing and getting a fairly good sized base of people pissed off at both dish and cable companies with their shitty fees and spotty(dish) service over any form of bad weather. There's a lot free you can do, and for very cheap rates you can stream amazon, netflix, crackle and more to cover most your tv needs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I purchased one yesterday. I wanted to get the kickstarter one, but glad that I waited. I ordered it online so mine will be arriving next week. I was not looking for something to replace consoles, but something that was an inexpensive device that could offer some casual gaming for my son and I to play, who will be turning 5. My only other android device is a rooted original nook color, so I am happy to have a better android device and one I can game with. I will post my personal feedback when I receive it.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have had mine as a Kickstarter one for a 2 months now. It's a great little system and it knows the audience it caters to.

I've been able to watch the OS start from barely there to a nice full fledged one, nicely sorted with "cameo" playlists (i.e. Penny Arcade and other Blogger's choices) and finally adding in background / queued downloading. The controller has it's issues but then even Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony fucked up Day 1 controllers, so they're just following the crowd (Duke, Wii Classic V1, and PSP's Square Button respectively).

As a person who is anti-all digital, and rarely if ever plays an indie game, I KS'ed the Ouya because it was a small guy (well...girl in this case) throwing rocks at the big guys and if nothing else, it'd be a nice emulation machine.

What I got was a $99 box that's helped me find great Indie Games, a great emulation set (PSone one ain't shabby!), and I don't mind the all digital thanks to being to TRY EVERY GAME FOR FREE. I finished 3 or 4 games before the retail unit hit, and I'll be grabbing a $25 card to buy all those games I beat to support their Devs.

Can't go wrong. I love mine.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    There's a lot free you can do, and for very cheap rates you can stream amazon, netflix, crackle and more to cover most your tv needs.
    Apparently SirrusXM also works on the Ouya.

Anyone try FF3 or Bard's Tale on it yet?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final Fantasy III on it is nice. It's Final Fantasy III though, so don't expect some newfangled game. It is nice though, very nice.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I think it's a real cool console and idea. It's just to bad they're screwing over all their backers who gave them $8,000,000.00 to start the company.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    I think it's a real cool console and idea. It's just to bad they're screwing over all their backers who gave them $8,000,000.00 to start the company.
    Yeah, it is too bad, but they have acknowledged that there were failings that they were partially responsible for in the shipping logistics.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I wasn't a backer, so like what did they do that is so awful? I mean unlike many that fail they took the money and got the product to market.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dr. BaconStein's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was thinking of getting one, but I already have two Android devices (the JXD ones, one of which I just got about two months ago) and I don't like that it pushes proprietary services. A handheld would have also been a lot more convenient for me. NVidia Shield and Madcatz Mojo look more like my kind of thing, if only they weren't so expensive.

I wasn't a backer, so like what did they do that is so awful? I mean unlike many that fail they took the money and got the product to market.
    If you bring up Ouya on most game forums, you'll hear varying degrees of hate depending on who you talk to. Some people hate it simply because it's a TV box and not the next Nintendo or Sony console. Others are just disinterested because they have a phone or a tablet that does the same thing. You mentioned Roku, there are also similar aftermarket Android sticks that are becoming just as powerful without the unnecessary restrictions.

Then there are the people who claim they "lied" and pushed it as a Wii U/PS4 "powerhouse"-type system, even though it was clearly advertized as the Android game console from the get-go.
    Last edited by Dr. BaconStein; 06-27-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The biggest issue recently has been promising to deliver all the backer units before the retail release. Apparently that didn't happen because they used DHL through some third party shipper in Asia and sent the units directly to backers. They also didn't deliver units in the order people backed the project and people who actually contributed less or ordered fewer items got theirs long before more generous or earlier backers. The other major issue has been the controller. Early units had poor quality controllers with non-working buttons or d-pads and the company at first denied there was a problem. Later they admitted it and made some changes, but there are still defective controllers going out and the controller has some quirks that make it not super responsive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

People who took it to be a modern console and not a Nexus 7 in a box. It was never advertised as a 360 / PS3 competitor, so those folks can go wander off.

As far as the Shipping Logistics problems / controller issues, all they need to do is toss the unfortunate folks some free games like Sony did when PSN was down for a month and everything will be fine. They've been fairly open and transparent since day 1 of the KickStarter and been fairly down to Earth people (even the Ouya's Update Status screen is full of little one liner jokes and references). They don't have anything 'scam'y about them.

For a start-up against the odds, their doing fairly well right now, all things considered.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Saw a youtube vid where gta vice city is playing on the unit. Think he said he did an apk conversion, was running it rooted. The company looks favorably upon this stuff. I love everything about this thing, but the controller.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    People who took it to be a modern console and not a Nexus 7 in a box. It was never advertised as a 360 / PS3 competitor, so those folks can go wander off.

As far as the Shipping Logistics problems / controller issues, all they need to do is toss the unfortunate folks some free games like Sony did when PSN was down for a month and everything will be fine. They've been fairly open and transparent since day 1 of the KickStarter and been fairly down to Earth people (even the Ouya's Update Status screen is full of little one liner jokes and references). They don't have anything 'scam'y about them.

For a start-up against the odds, their doing fairly well right now, all things considered.
    I don't think anyone expected it to be a full gaming console, at least not the Kickstarter backers. What people did expect is that it would be a wide open box where games could easily be installed from existing Android sources. That unfortunately is not the case. If you're using it for emulation, it's not bad. If you're expecting that it will play vast libraries of Android games, including ones you already own on other devices, you're out of luck. For an "open device", it has a very traditional walled-off app store if you want commercial games. Sadly, developers are not rushing to make the minor changes needed to sell their Android games in the Ouya store.

Frankly, I think releasing this to retail as they have done is a huge mistake. The average consumer has no need for something like this and I can anticipate further backlash when people hook it up and expect console-like amenities like an easy to use UI that just don't exist on the Ouya.