Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Um, Did Anyone Buy An OUYA?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have an Ouya system. Nice little system and it does more than emulate older consoles. There is some fun to be had on the system as far as games go, se we'll see where it goes over time. I'm not saying it's going to be the end all of it's kind, but it's a step in a different direction for gaming. "IF" this catches on, I doubt, sadly that Ouya will be the company to catch the lightning in the bottle just because of a financial thing. However, it's the mold that stands for the completely download system, so we shall see what happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went ahead and purchased an Ouya a week or so ago. There are some really cool indie/art and neo-retro games on the store that elevate the system above being an emulation box in my appraisal, though emulation is its primary function for me [three cheers for Robert Broglia]. Despite the controller being less than stellar and the wifi antenna being absolute crap, I like the little box for what it currently does and what I hope it will do in the future. Seeing as the system is only $99, it seems strange that justification for the Ouya's existence in the video game world is so highly contentious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think the contentious part is an entrenched industry that doesn't like seeing an outsider step on its toes. Ouya is unique that every single thing must be free or have a free version so anyone can enjoy the device if all they ever put to it is $99. It also due to the designs undercuts the prices of physical media games, it undercuts the rates hardware makers put to digital downloads of disc/card based games too, and it comes in at a rate so cheap it even undercuts other 'like' boxes with varying similar features at the same or near the same price point. Ouya despite a rocky start with some problem issues with the firmware, controller like/hate aside, is an interesting device and it's a disruptor of sorts which angers and amuses people at the same time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been eyeing one of these up for a couple of days now. If it will happily emulate everything up to ps1 I may be tempted, just as it is a space saver and we have a ten month old baby who loves to grab wires.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Those who follow the emulation progress have been reporting great successes. This could be the best non-PC-based emulation device every made.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A good friend of mine actually got one. He mainly got it for emulating games, but actually ended up playing a lot of the games made for Ouya itself, as well.

I've tried it at his place, and I'm certainly getting one for myself. The only thing I didn't like about it, was the shoulder buttons on the controller(the triggers were fine, though). Because of how they are placed, and the edge that is there. But that might just be something I'll get used to. In my opinion, it's certainly not a deal breaker! I pretty much fell in love with the thing, so yeah, I'm getting one!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I got one during the Kickstarter and while I haven't had time to really play it, I like what I see so far. It was a slow start but last I checked the menu is starting to flow with a decent variety of games. Last game I tried was I think "Wind Up Knight" which is a fun platform/puzzler.

I never planned on doing emulation on it as I have a modded Xbox for that. I see it as a gateway to indie console games that have the best of both the retro and the modern realms while bringing back the concept of the "garage developer".

The one real niggling thing I have is not against the system but the vocal detractors out there that just unzip and piss on the Ouya or even the concept. The mentality of a "game console" being this powerful device that plays games of 360 or PS3 caliber just irks me. It's like when I was in retail back in the early 90's: a person wants to buy a VCR and they see three on the shelf. They want the cheapest one but then wonders why it doesn't have the bells and whistles of the most expensive model and complains. When did people's expectations skyrocket? One can't get a 360 or PS3 for a hundred bones, what makes one think that tech is going to be shoved into a cube the size of two tins of black pepper?

I'm currently in a play with my local theater group which has consumed my free time as of late but after this weekend I'll spend more time on it to be able to give a more educated impression on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I love indie games as well, but I don't play them as often. Mainly because I don't enjoy playing on the computer as much as I used to. So this is great in that regard!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Guyra View Post
    A good friend of mine actually got one. He mainly got it for emulating games, but actually ended up playing a lot of the games made for Ouya itself, as well.

I've tried it at his place, and I'm certainly getting one for myself. The only thing I didn't like about it, was the shoulder buttons on the controller(the triggers were fine, though). Because of how they are placed, and the edge that is there. But that might just be something I'll get used to. In my opinion, it's certainly not a deal breaker! I pretty much fell in love with the thing, so yeah, I'm getting one!
    Can't any USB or Bluetooth controller be used?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's possible, yeah. But I do like the controller, aside from the shoulder buttons. The touch pad on it is a really nice touch(no pun intended), too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Well, I can say that after a couple of months checking out the system, the Ouya seems to be constantly adding games to check out as well as update the system. Is it never going to be contender? No, but I recommend the unit for folks that like casual gaming and games that are quite indie and different. It is much more than an emu system, and for that I am happy with my purchase.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Can someone picky share their experiences with different emulated consoles re: sound/graphic accuracy, controls, timing, etc?

There's a world of mediocre emulator options these days, I'd like to know if the Ouya does better.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

There are so many Ouya threads, but this looks like the most "official" one so I'll post here. I finally picked one up last night in Target, with my main reason being the lack of communications on the Retron 5 Page. I just set it up, and I'm going to mess around with it now.

I will admit, I have been in the dark about this system. I bought it thinking it was an Android system, and expected to play the Android apps on my TV, with my existing Google account. I guess that would have been cool, but no matter. So what are the best games to play? What do you like? Hopefully, there are some free games to choose from as well. Anyway, I'm Terry-Action on there, if adding friends is even possible.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    There are so many Ouya threads, but this looks like the most "official" one so I'll post here. I finally picked one up last night in Target, with my main reason being the lack of communications on the Retron 5 Page. I just set it up, and I'm going to mess around with it now.

I will admit, I have been in the dark about this system. I bought it thinking it was an Android system, and expected to play the Android apps on my TV, with my existing Google account. I guess that would have been cool, but no matter. So what are the best games to play? What do you like? Hopefully, there are some free games to choose from as well. Anyway, I'm Terry-Action on there, if adding friends is even possible.
    Probably should have shopped around. Amazon just had the Ouya on sale for $70 last week and they threw in a $25 credit for the Ouya download store. They seem to be running sales on it every few weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Probably should have shopped around. Amazon just had the Ouya on sale for $70 last week and they threw in a $25 credit for the Ouya download store. They seem to be running sales on it every few weeks.
    Right now they are back at $99, too bad I missed the sale.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think you can back load your google play apps as Ouya allows for you to get beyond their own system setup.

Insert Coin (Level 0) chiptraxxx's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want one for Mame emulation of Guerilla War, top speed, outrun etc. Maybe some nice Amstrad cpc or spectrum stuff if itd possible, consoles Nes and others is ok to all old systems go! New ones go and blow?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's funny but as much as I want one of these things each time I see the shelf at Target I never pull the trigger on it. I think honestly, emulation is a solid reason over it too which is screwy. I think I'd probably want to load some roms to the games I own on it, but then the novelty would wear off and it would get dusty because I have no use for it as an XMBC media center since I have no media to be centered (I still like local radio or XM when I decide to pay for it.) I know it has its own games but nothing there really grabbed me months ago when I last checked, and while you can side load googleplay stuff I'm not so certain it would benefit much since most is touch based.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Amazing Frog or whatever it's called is interesting to say the least.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Just about any Android app will work on Ouya. Even if you have to "side-load" it. I have it for MAME mainly, but the C64 emu is handy. Lots of free indie games on there too.