Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    I've been playing Pixner a lot. Really cool retro-type game.

So is it coincidence that this game looks like CastleQuest, or is it a clone?

Edit: Watched a video. Seems like they play nothing a like.
    Last edited by Daria; 05-11-2014 at 07:59 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    So is it coincidence that this game looks like CastleQuest, or is it a clone?

Edit: Watched a video. Seems like they play nothing a like.
    Looks like a cross between Lode Runner and Castle Excellent/CastleQuest, definately my cup of tea. I plan to be buying an OUYA since I am interested in indie/retro gaming and am not particularly enthralled with modern stuff at the moment.

Does Sonic CD on that console happen to feature both versions of the Soundtrack?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Finally received my ouya last week, and so far I really enjoy it. I think I have the newer version because all the problems i read online about Wi-Fi not working is not an issue at all. Never got a single disconnection and I installed the android version of xbmc gotham and IT IS AWESOME. Free nhl games in hd, all tv series and movies with istream, im cutting cable tv and save 80$ a month so my ouya is paying by itself! The controller is decent but lags a little, not as good as ps and xbox but overall ok, it really looks good. The only problem i have with the hardware is the usb socket, it has problems detecting stuff but i put an unplugged usb hub and all 4 slots work perfectly. I also enjoy the games, i bought a couple and I can see myself playing games in a decade when friends come at home. Brought my ouya at my dads and we played 4 player games and we had a blast playing bombsquad, towerfall, no brake valet and hidden in plain sight. The games are very simple and easy to pick up and play, even with people who dont play games. I rooted the console and im able to load modern combat 4 and blitz brigade and they look decent on the tv but i cant get the controllers to work properly, but gt racing 2 works perfectly. The library reminds me of the c64 days, so if you enjoyed it I think you will love the ouya, highly recomended.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I'm just going to leave this here...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...asically-dead/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    I'm just going to leave this here...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...asically-dead/
    *sigh* Let's review this, shall we?

>Back when Ouya was all the buzz, generating hype alongside millions in cash from both Kickstarter backers and VC funding, I couldn’t quite decipher what the point really was. A console that plays mobile games on your TV? With a controller?

Is this guy fucking retarded? The point of the Ouya was to have a console indie developers can make games on that doesn't rely on the heavy fees associated with the big companies, allows retro gamers a place to enjoy all their games in one place with its many emulators, and yes. A place where gamers can play their touch screen based games with an actual physical controller and on a tv, not a tablet/phone. We're off to a real great start here. The writer of this article doesn't even know what the Ouya is.

>How would that ever drum up the install base necessary to lure developers away from the much more lucrative mobile business? How would anyone really make money on this, when gamers typically play mobile games on their mobile phones and tablets, and full-fledged console games on traditional consoles?

because hardcore gamers want controllers, not touch screen based crap. because touch screen mobile games are limited in what they can do effectively because touch screen controls are limited to one action at a time, sometimes two, but can't do what controllers do. Yes, there are controllers for mobile devices, but it's always awkward, and leaves you frustrated to the point where you either give up on playing with the controller or give up playing on the touch device entirely. Also, the Ouya isn't intended to compete with the full fledged consoles. It exists in its own bracket of microconsole where again, the aim is to make indie games for gamers.

>Well, early reviews for the system were far from stellar, and game developers reported that for all their effort, it was pretty much impossible to make any money. The promised hackability of the Ouya didn’t do much for it, either—and neither did various emulators that played, among other things, old Nintendo games.

Early units had problems, but those have been ironed out and the current Ouya and future versions are far superior. To continue to attack the Ouya for it's early problems shows a lack of understanding. Impossible to make money? Isn't this......the universal problem for android/ios? This guy makes it sound like it's something specific to Ouya. Also, how you make money is make good games that people want to buy. Durr. Promised hackability didn't do much for it? Wrong again. It allows people to do things like put on an Ouya overclock, sideload tons of additional apps and games. The various emulators for Ouya are among its best features.

Goddamn this guy is an idiot.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah he's stupid and going off some bad/old information. One thing I know for certain is that for all the bullshit boxes being peddled online like the amazon one and the mad cats thing, Ouya costs less and I've seen a retail presence at a few stores which says a lot for casual consumer availability and awareness. With it at $99.99 it comes in under that mythical $100 barrier where people consider it a budget purchase for fun now and again. They do have that going for them, plus it does advertise you can get a lot of free stuff with it too due to their old free game/free demo stance they took.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Glad to see you guys are defending it from the tabloid sensationalism trying to declare it as already dead. People are shitting on OUYA left and right but there are many who staunchly defend it despite it having a somewhat rocky start. I am still interested in getting one eventually. They want it to gain traction over time and from what I've seen they still seem to be the most strongly supported and well-designed open-source console on the market. N-Vidia Shield and Amazon Fire TV do not look like my cup of tea, to be honest.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I backed the Kickstarter and even bought the white 16GB version last Christmas. Having said that, I agree with the article in that there is no real mass consumer market for what Ouya is selling. Most gamers are not all that interested in playing mobile games on a television. Similarly, most gamers have little interest in another platform for indie games, especially when so many are available on PCs, mobile devices and lots of other platforms, often with higher performance hardware to back them up. Ouya is a niche product and while it has a small but loyal fanbase, it certainly didn't reach anywhere near the heights that the hype surrounding the Kickstarter and eventual launch would lead one to believe was inevitable.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Forbes, Yahoo, Motley Fool, many websites post these doom articles daily on all subjects including gaming. My opinion is that they are only there to solicit views, and thus generate ad revenue for the website. Motley Fool I swear posts a new article daily about how Gamestop, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, or all of the above, will be out of business in 4 months.

Now, that being said, I've recently had a miserable experience with the Ouya, following the Chupacabra update. My side-loaded apps are mostly crashing, rendering the device kind of useless for someone like me. I've used it far more as a media device than gaming.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Anyone tried the playcast beta? It's very impressive, works perfectly and its made with the ouya controller mapping. Its not working on wifi but I had an old powerline in a closet and it works. You can play full version of lego Batman 2 and splinter cell conviction for free and it feels right, i tried onlive sideload and playcast is 100x better, if you have unlimited internet ouya is really awesome. Cant wait for steam streaming on android devices!

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    Well, my front door has two locks so that's two keys, I guess the bad guy was paranoid and wanted four locks.
    My front door has two locks, but they both use the same key, as does every other entrance to the house. And what's with this keys disappear when you use them crap? I've never had a key do that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Sports Club View Post
    Glad to see you guys are defending it from the tabloid sensationalism trying to declare it as already dead. People are shitting on OUYA left and right but there are many who staunchly defend it despite it having a somewhat rocky start. I am still interested in getting one eventually. They want it to gain traction over time and from what I've seen they still seem to be the most strongly supported and well-designed open-source console on the market. N-Vidia Shield and Amazon Fire TV do not look like my cup of tea, to be honest.
    My problem is that what this guy is saying is either nonsense or flat out lies. It isn't people who don't like the Ouya. But all of these editorials on the Ouya are written by people who have no real idea what they're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I backed the Kickstarter and even bought the white 16GB version last Christmas. Having said that, I agree with the article in that there is no real mass consumer market for what Ouya is selling. Most gamers are not all that interested in playing mobile games on a television. Similarly, most gamers have little interest in another platform for indie games, especially when so many are available on PCs, mobile devices and lots of other platforms, often with higher performance hardware to back them up. Ouya is a niche product and while it has a small but loyal fanbase, it certainly didn't reach anywhere near the heights that the hype surrounding the Kickstarter and eventual launch would lead one to believe was inevitable.
    You sir just wrote the better critical analysis than that Forbes writer. Congratulations.

The Ouya is most definitely a platform for indie games, but saying it's an outlet for mobile games on a television is a misleading statement to make. Saying that makes people think that it's Angry Birds and Flappy Bird on the tv. While yeah, there's shit like that from the most talentless of indie developers, the Ouya has a sizable library of retro style games from platformers to shooters to RPGs. These sorts of games originated on consoles to begin with, and fit the Ouya much better than any tablet, phone, or PC.

I think that if people realized there were many truly EXCELLENT retro style games on Ouya rather than just the notion that its got a bunch of Angry Birds and Flappy Bird clones more people would be open to it.

Also, it infuriates me when articles talk down about the Ouya's hardware specs. The Ouya is plenty powerful for what it needs to be. If it had beefier specs, the price would jump way up, and it wouldn't actually benefit the games on the system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got an OUYA this past week and have been really enjoying it for everything it offers. It gives you a great deal for such a small price and to my knowledge, stuff like Amazon FireTV or NVidia Shield don't have the same free-to-play philosophy or even financial headstart from supporters that OUYA has had. They also don't, to my knowledge, have the freedom to root or mod the system without voiding the warranty. That, and I don't think that tablet gaming is fun, despite some people saying it can do everything OUYA does. I got the original model and like most people the only gripe I have about the controller is the somewhat awkward trigger buttons but it didn't strike me as overbearing. Coffee brewed slowly is considered the best so OUYA moving up slowly in terms of what they're trying to accomplish could only pay off, ignoring what the naysayers have said, and staying honest to their clique who understands what it is for and wasn't looking to the mainstream for guidance, such as the typical bullshit journalists buffeting people with "OUYA is dead!" trash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Did they come out with a firmwear that killed off playing USB Controllers like the SNES USB Controller?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    Did they come out with a firmwear that killed off playing USB Controllers like the SNES USB Controller?
    I just tried it and they work OK.

I think OUYA is doing a good job of maintaining the open source freedom of PCs while still keeping the convenience of consoles a priority. I bought Sonic CD, Sonic 4 Episode I, and Pizza Boy, for $2.99 each. I'm really enjoying them.
    Last edited by Manhattan Sports Club; 06-02-2014 at 05:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    ...WHAT?

if anything, the firmware updates have improved compatibility. You can now even navigate the UI menu with an OEM SNES controller connected with a USB adapter. You can't deselect items, but you can at least use the dpad and select choices with the X button.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

USB controllers have good results, unlike Blutooth
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

bluetooth controller lag isnt an issue if programmer account for it. Firmware updates have largely made input lag a thing of the past on Ouya, and what does remain is almost entirely the fault of the individual programmer who made the game you're having lag with, not the Ouya itself.

I use my Ouya every single day. If lag was a general global issue that plagued everything, I'd be the first to complain about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I swung by Target yesterday to see if they maybe had an Ouya that I can set up for my wife. I found the display but they were all sold out. Just two controllers were there.

That was neat to see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've never seen the system sold out before, well picked over, but not gone, but the controllers seem to go missing more since people will pick up at least one extra. The 2 Target's around here just have them on a low shelf in the gaming area near all the PC stuff and cheap or used last gen console games rack so they're visible. I Hope they keep developing it after the news over the last few months of them trying to fracture the market by making their own marketplace which is just a dumb bad idea with already googleplay, amazon, and even madcatz getting in on the racket since you can't cross share the stuff despite it all being on android.