Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: People Need To Stop Putting Nintendo Down

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default People Need To Stop Putting Nintendo Down

I mean from a hardware perspective. Theyre a games company, not a huge multifaceted corporation like Sony or Microsoft. If their console and games dont sell, thats the end of them, unlike the other two who have a large set of other things to keep going with.

I saw a guy on a stream of the PS4 E3 conference complaining about a 2D game being shown, it was an indy game, and he said it shouldnt have been picked to show off the systems hardware. This is the type of gamer that is being created by a grandeur that is getting harder to sustain. Why should a game being 2D even be an issue? Why do people have to talk about system specs when talking about gaming to feel justified in liking something? We arent all computer majors, so why cant this be about having fun and seeing cool stories play out? I hate hearing about video game crashes, theyre not going to happen, but companies need to regroup and realize bigger isnt always better.

Putting Nintendo down for not having as state of the art a system as the other major consoles is like putting down poor people for being poor or any other kind of monetary comparison analogy. Maybe some people who dont like Nintendo only got into games with Xbox or PS2 and thats why they dont realize how important Nintendo has been? Being there at that demo thing at Best Buy, I realized how different it was compared to other consoles, we werent trying to shoot each other, there was absolutely no trash talk and everyone was smiling at the cute stuff on screen, and we didnt feel bad about being there. There were happy people there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

I think Nintendo's great and I have no problem with what they do. Thing is, they might eventually be forced by the market to purely become a gaming publisher. I think people who love Nintendo criticize just as much - they hate to see what they perceive as Nintendo willingly taking third place in the next-gen market. They also heavily criticized the loose licensing that diluted the Wii product. These critiques certainly aren't unfair.

Nintendo's always done it differently, almost without regard for the competition, trusting that people will come for the games. The Wii U looks to be shaping up a little better and will be the cheapest option come Christmas and looks like it will have a more solid first-party library. It may just leap back in the forefront. We'll see.
    www.weekendroady.com - Weekend Roady!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    I mean from a hardware perspective. Theyre a games company, not a huge multifaceted corporation like Sony or Microsoft. If their console and games dont sell, thats the end of them, unlike the other two who have a large set of other things to keep going with.

I saw a guy on a stream of the PS4 E3 conference complaining about a 2D game being shown, it was an indy game, and he said it shouldnt have been picked to show off the systems hardware. This is the type of gamer that is being created by a grandeur that is getting harder to sustain. Why should a game being 2D even be an issue? Why do people have to talk about system specs when talking about gaming to feel justified in liking something? We arent all computer majors, so why cant this be about having fun and seeing cool stories play out? I hate hearing about video game crashes, theyre not going to happen, but companies need to regroup and realize bigger isnt always better.

Putting Nintendo down for not having as state of the art a system as the other major consoles is like putting down poor people for being poor or any other kind of monetary comparison analogy. Maybe some people who dont like Nintendo only got into games with Xbox or PS2 and thats why they dont realize how important Nintendo has been? Being there at that demo thing at Best Buy, I realized how different it was compared to other consoles, we werent trying to shoot each other, there was absolutely no trash talk and everyone was smiling at the cute stuff on screen, and we didnt feel bad about being there. There were happy people there.
    That's all cool, but when you are selling a piece of hardware for $300-$350, people are going to make comparisons regarding system performance, especially when the PS4 which is literally a generation and a half beyond the capabilities of the WiiU is only going to be $50 more (i.e. less than the cost one one new release game).

I also take issue with your belief that only Nintendo makes family friendly or classic style games. There are tons of great family friendly games on PS3 and Xbox 360, especially on PSN and XBL. There were great games long before Nintendo sold its first console. Nintendo has great first party IP, but I refuse to accept that there aren't great games in all of the genres Nintendo is known for on other platforms. I enjoy Nintendo games. I don't enjoy the fact that Nintendo insists on maximizing profit on every piece of hardware and software it sells.

Criticizing Nintendo for having less capable hardware is not like putting down poor people for being poor, it's like putting down a very wealthy person for refusing to donate to charity. They have no legal obligation to do it and apparently they've remained wealthy by not doing it, but it just doesn't smell right, especially when other companies are about to launch something much more powerful for only a little bit more money.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I agree its fair to compare but people need to be more objective. As far as I'm concerned while somewhat underpowered the wii u like nintendo consoles for some time now makes up for it in innovation with regards to controls and will be a worthy console once it has some quality (mostly nintendo) titles

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by otaku View Post
    I agree its fair to compare but people need to be more objective. As far as I'm concerned while somewhat underpowered the wii u like nintendo consoles for some time now makes up for it in innovation with regards to controls and will be a worthy console once it has some quality (mostly nintendo) titles
    I agree that the WiiU will have some great games. I strongly disagree that the WiiU pad is an innovation. To me it's clunky and not the preferred way to play WiiU games.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Nintendo will always rule with handhelds. Sony actually seems like they could potentially give them a run for their money with Vita, but it hasn't rebounded like the 3DS has. Mario just has too much power for them to be anything but number one in handhelds.

Nintendo hasn't fostered the best relationship with small companies over the years, but nearly every Kickstarted game project I see has Wii U stretch goals that have been met. Shovel Knight, Shadow of the Eternals, and Armikrog all are games that people wanted on Wii U, and the last two are spiritual successors to Eternal Darkness and The Neverhood, respectively. They must have changed a little bit.

Their official stance on used games is "we'll just make games you don't want to sell to begin with," which the industry could learn from. Really, if there's one thing Nintendo and other companies need to do before anything else, it's improve the working conditions of their manufacturers and ensure they aren't using conflict minerals. Nintendo has been notoriously aloof about their environmental record, and in 2013 that's not commendable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post

Putting Nintendo down for not having as state of the art a system as the other major consoles is like putting down poor people for being poor or any other kind of monetary comparison analogy. .

Some of us remember when Nintendo still wanted to be No.1 in the technology department as well. When the Super Nintendo arrived in late August of 1991, it was a technological powerhouse, when you consider the kind of power you were getting for $199.99. Remember that the $199.99 also included TWO controllers and one of the best video games of all time (Super Mario World). The system had the best visuals of anything out, tons of color on the screen, amazing sound quality. The biggest 3rd parties were doing the most extreme games on the SNES.

They were top dog from a technological standpoint.

Then, when they went to the N64, again, they wanted to be at the very top of the technological pile. Remember Project Reality with Silicon Graphics ? Remember the Dream Team ? It started out as Ultra 64, and we ultimately ended up with the Nintendo 64 in September of 1996. Super Mario 64 was a jaw dropping display of Nintendo Power at the time. Pilotwings, Shadows of the Empire. Wave Race 64, Turok, etc, etc. The N64 may have made a huge mistake with not having a CD drive, but the system certainly had more "raw" power than the Saturn or Playstation. The N64 was like a poor man's 3Dfx Voodoo computer at the time. Incredible technology for only $199, again. (although this time, one controller and no pack-in)

It's only when we got to the GameCube that Nintendo gave up on being at the top of the heap from a technological standpoint. Before GameCube, they were all about having the best technology, along with the best games.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't get the critique against Nintendo, at all. Wii U a generation and a half behind PS4? Really? Last gen games could barely do 1080p, let alone do 1080p while also processing video for a handheld screen or two. Being a technical powerhouse back in the day? Nintendo consoles always struggled to keep up with their competitors. Look how little NES was able to do without sprite flickering and slowdown compared to Master System. Look how SNES came out more than a year after the Mega Drive and still had a dramatically slower CPU than it. Look how they released a color version of a handheld that's technically identical to its near ten year old predecessor besides being able to do color. Look how the DS's CPU and GPU are just its predecessor's overclocked 1.5x (something the Wii is criticized for, yet not DS).

Seriously, the only differences between Nintendo then and Nintendo now are an expanded target audience and less third party support, the latter of which they can't totally control.

Quote Originally Posted by WCP
    It's only when we got to the GameCube that Nintendo gave up on being at the top of the heap from a technological standpoint. Before GameCube, they were all about having the best technology, along with the best games.
    What? The GameCube was one of the few times they were near the top.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post

Remember the GameCube came a full year after the PS2 was released. It came a few days after the Xbox. The Xbox was the clear power leader for that generation. The GameCube was definitely more powerful than the Dreamcast, but only marginally (if that) more powerful than the PS2 which was already very old tech when the Cube launched. The Cube wasn't ridiculously underpowered like the Wii and Wii U, but it was no technological marvel.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I don't get the critique against Nintendo, at all. Wii U a generation and a half behind PS4? Really? Last gen games could barely do 1080p, let alone do 1080p while also processing video for a handheld screen or two. Being a technical powerhouse back in the day? Nintendo consoles always struggled to keep up with their competitors. Look how little NES was able to do without sprite flickering and slowdown compared to Master System. Look how SNES came out more than a year after the Mega Drive and still had a dramatically slower CPU than it. Look how they released a color version of a handheld that's technically identical to its near ten year old predecessor besides being able to do color. Look how the DS's CPU and GPU are just its predecessor's overclocked 1.5x (something the Wii is criticized for, yet not DS).

Seriously, the only differences between Nintendo then and Nintendo now are an expanded target audience and less third party support, the latter of which they can't totally control.

I'm not sure how the 1080P thing is relevant as I don't think that's the sign of a "next generation" console considering 360 and PS3 could both display in that resolution and PC games have easily been able to output at that resolution or higher for many years. The processor, GPU and memory are the things I would consider to be severely lacking on the Wii and the WiiU. I'm someone who believes that those things will actually inhibit the creativity of developers and while Nintendo may be comfortable working with lower capability hardware for its first party games, I just don't see how third party developers will continue to support a platform that is so far below the capabilities of the Xbox One and the PS4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Leave nintendo alone!! Pleeeaaase!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I never understood the need to defend a video game system or company like its a family member. Who cares what others say or think. If you like the system and games, buy it and play it. That's as far as it should go.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    I never understood the need to defend a video game system or company like its a family member. Who cares what others say or think. If you like the system and games, buy it and play it. That's as far as it should go.
    Precisely how I feel.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I don't enjoy the fact that Nintendo insists on maximizing profit on every piece of hardware and software it sells.

Criticizing Nintendo for having less capable hardware is not like putting down poor people for being poor, it's like putting down a very wealthy person for refusing to donate to charity. They have no legal obligation to do it and apparently they've remained wealthy by not doing it, but it just doesn't smell right, especially when other companies are about to launch something much more powerful for only a little bit more money.
    QFT..
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

That's how i see it as well it's about the games not what brand name it has.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too bad if too many feel the system sucks and the system does poor that is no good for getting more games on the system.

Anyways you guys need to stop forgiving the Wii U its a poor system all around. This crap did start with the gamecube and even tho the Wii was sucessful it was just Gamecube 2.0

""The Wii's GPU has fixed functions for vertex, lighting, and pixel operations," said the source "All 'programmable shaders' means is that the code you write for the shader gets run on the vertex and pixel hardware of the GPU. This is how it works on the high-end ATI and Nvidia GPU parts. The Wii is an older fixed function design where you have lots of operations but the pipelines are not programmable in the sense of downloading shader code to run [on them]."

"A dev support guy from Nintendo said that the Wii chipset is 'Gamecube 1.5 with some added memory,'" our second source told us. "I figure if they say that, it must be true." "

Now we have a Wii U.. Nintendo isn't even trying anymore. Wii u doesn't even have games because no one wants to make anything for it because everyone thinks its going to fail. The console was put on clearance in the UK in some stores and some Wii U games were put on clerance in the states..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic View Post
    Too bad if too many feel the system sucks and the system does poor that is no good for getting more games on the system.

Anyways you guys need to stop forgiving the Wii U its a poor system all around. This crap did start with the gamecube and even tho the Wii was sucessful it was just Gamecube 2.0
    Who is forgiving the system? I simply said there's no need to defend it. It will stand or fall on its own merits. If you don't like it, don't buy one but at the same time, don't begrudge those who do as if they made a poor choice. Its their's to make.

Personally I don't have a dog in this fight which is why I can look at this impartially. I never understood the fanboy devotion to a company that doesn't give two craps about you or I, just our cash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Smashed Brother View Post
    Leave nintendo alone!! Pleeeaaase!!!
    It's posts like this that make me almost miss the Meseta system so I could donate away!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Just wanted to say that I love what Nintendo is doing these days. They are a breath of fresh air in a market that is over saturated with VIOLENT video games. Sure, violent video games have existed for a long time now. However, this wasn't really an issue for me back when the hardware couldn't realistically depict it. Just one look at Dead Rising 3 on the Xbox One actually made me feel a little dirty. Have we become so desensitized that we are easily overlooking, even embracing such grotesque fantasy? Sure, playing such a game doesn't mean I'm going to run out and kill people, but it certainly isn't nourishing my soul.

Nintendo has certainly found a niche, and it's in doing what they've always done: Creating colorful, character driven games that stimulate and challenge the mind without barraging it with extreme violence.
    Last edited by ShinobiMan; 07-01-2013 at 05:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never understood the fanboy devotion to a company that doesn't give two craps about you or I, just our cash.
    Sega gives a crap....right?