Thread: Super UFO Pro 8 (cheapo snes flash cart)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Super UFO Pro 8 (cheapo snes flash cart)

So, I got one of these Super UFO Pro 8 carts. This guy locally on Craigslist was selling one of these, and I had never heard of it before. I did a quick google search on it, and found out that it's a cheapo snes flash cart that you can get on amazon.com via their 3rd party sellers for like 50 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Saves-Backup-C...uper+ufo+pro+8

currently $50.71 with free shipping

So, I read a bunch of the amazon reviews, and there was some mixed feelings about the cart. The biggest complaint is the fact that the rom names have to use 8 characters or less. This makes naming the roms quite difficult. Another big complaint is that the save game system is kinda complicated. I've only been playing around with the thing for awhile, so I can't really comment on all that, but it seems to be working fine for me so far.

Anybody else have one of these ? Sure, these are the ghetto version of an Everdrive cart (if that), but it seems to play most of the games I've tried.

needs food badly. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Schlimtor
    PSN
    Schlimtor

I'd be interested in knowing how well these work since it supposedly supports the use of cheat codes and save states. I just recently purchased a Super Everdrive Deluxe from Stone Age Gamer and love it, except for the fact that it doesn't support Game Genie codes and, unless I'm mistaken, save states. So, if I can find a cheap way to use Game Genie and save states on my SNES, I might pick up one of these Super UFO Pro 8 carts.
    "Red Warrior needs food badly."

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I don't believe that we ever got too deep into discussion post launch, but there's a thread here:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...S-Superdrive-8

I have one, and based on the filename limitations from the old floppy drive reader/writers that these things are retrofitted from:

yes, you have to keep your game names 8 characters or less.

Also, games load into flash ram to load, and saves/save states have to similarly be loaded into a separate ram bank.

That being understood - regarding complaints about the save file use/organization - it helps if you keep every game rom in its own folder, that way the system will keep the specific game saves and/or save state files in those folders too, otherwise if you keep all the games in a single directory, it will dump the save file at the very end of the list of games, and it's a pain in the ass to retrieve if you have a lot of roms on an SD card.

I haven't really fooled around with the things ability to dump games to the SD card via the top cartridge slot or rip/write memory to real games, but I believe it can do all of that just like the old floppy readers/writers can.

As far as functionality, for the cost of the thing, I think it's excellent. You're not going to get the cleaner, more intuitive menus of the other flash carts, but once you figure out how to operate the thing it works exactly as you'd want it to.

It obviously can't run super FX games or any games that use special chips, but I couldn't find any compatibility problems with the other games I tried.

I can't confirm but I would imagine that games that don't use special chips but run security lock-out code have roms out there that have that stuff patched out (Mario RPG, Earthbound, etc.).

Build quality is sturdier than you would think too.

For $50 you can't go wrong.

Pairs nicely with a SupaBoy.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 07-07-2013 at 10:24 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I was researching which flash cart to buy I was almost ready to buy a UFO, but happened into a nice trading situation for a PowerPak. From what I recall, the UFO still got the job done when it came down to playing games. If all you wanted to do was play some Earthbound without paying $100+ it would be my recommendation. Also nice for translated RPG's.

And I didn't think about the save state function. That's really nifty.

If you looked around, you might be lucky enough to find someone who has already done the hard work of renaming and sorting the thousands of ROM files.

As a side note, I think it's only a matter of time before we start seeing clone systems with this kind of functionality built in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd rather go for a Super Everdrive or even a PowerPak or SD2SNES if you can afford them. Filenames have to be 8 characters or less? Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

If you have the money WCP.Go with the SD2SNES it plays every thing and emulates the custom mapper chips.

The second best to that is the super everdrive.Sure it's loading times are slow but i think there fine,but it can't play games that use the super fx chip.Currently i have a super everdrive "and it has the ds-p1 chip in it"so i can just about play every game that i want to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    I'd rather go for a Super Everdrive or even a PowerPak or SD2SNES if you can afford them. Filenames have to be 8 characters or less? Really?
    Afford and find one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    Yes, really. The UI/loader is a hacky port of software from a mid-1990's copier made in Hong Kong. As such, it isn't exactly going to allow you to use anything beyond eight characters, which was typical of DOS-esque operating systems at the time.

The cart also costs $50. Beggars can't be choosers.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Red Warrior View Post
    I'd be interested in knowing how well these work since it supposedly supports the use of cheat codes and save states. I just recently purchased a Super Everdrive Deluxe from Stone Age Gamer and love it, except for the fact that it doesn't support Game Genie codes and, unless I'm mistaken, save states. So, if I can find a cheap way to use Game Genie and save states on my SNES, I might pick up one of these Super UFO Pro 8 carts.
    The Super Powerpak and Nes powerpak both support game genie codes.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While I absolutely agree that Super EverDrive and PowerPak are both totally superior products and for the serious gamer looking for flash cart solutions those are the way to go, the most appealing thing about this device really is the price.

For $50 there's not much to hate beyond the limitations of the on-board software.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    The Super Powerpak and Nes powerpak both support game genie codes.
    If cheats are important to you the Super UFO has a huge leg up on the competition. It supports Action Replay (raw) codes, has a built-in code library that loads automatically with the ROM, and you can toggle the codes on/off on the fly via controller hotkey.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    If cheats are important to you the Super UFO has a huge leg up on the competition. It supports Action Replay (raw) codes, has a built-in code library that loads automatically with the ROM, and you can toggle the codes on/off on the fly via controller hotkey.
    Personally, when it comes to having compatibility with game genie codes or other cheats, I could take it or leave it. I never really used the game genie at all, but a few weeks ago I was playing adventure island and I made good use of the infinite lives GG code. It was pretty cool. I was just kinda surprised that the more expensive cart from stone age gamer doesnt currently support GG codes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

This thread reminds me I still haven't bought one of these.