Thread: PS3 Disc Rot question

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS3 Disc Rot question

Hey all, longtime lurker, first time poster here. I have a question about potential disc rot (hoping its not rot though). I've read the posts here talking about disc rot, and one of the signs seems to be pinholes that you can see light through when you hold it up. I've noticed this on a couple ps3 games of mine. One of the games is ratchet and clank hd collection, and I've played through all of the content with no problems. When I look at the top of the discs (label side) I can see where it looks like its just a tiny chip in the silkscreening that could of happened during manufacturing or whatever. However, the reason I'm unsure is because blu rays are also much more transparent than a cd or dvd, and you can pretty much see through them all the time when you hold them up to the light. Should I be worried about rotting, or should I just chalk it up to a potential very minor manufacturing flaw? Thanks for any input.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I do know that the data side of a Blu-Ray is coated with a very very scratch resistant polymer, and I'm uncertain if that is more or less susceptible to disc-rot.

I'd imagine that it's not considering the known factor of disc-rot at the time that the technology was created, but since rot requires a lot of unknown variables and prolonged exposures, who knows.

From your description it sounds like a manufacturing or handling issue with the label side, but any damage that allows the plastics to be compromised by air or moisture can contribute to the phenomenon.

If the game plays okay, I'd say just keep it in its case and out of any direct heat or light if you can avoid it.

Here's some good info on the phenomenon:

http://www.dvd-software.info/dvd-articles/dvd-rot.php
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, i'm thinking its just a small manufacturing defect. Theres no damage to the disc whatsoever, or the plastic underneath the silkscreen. The plastic there is the same as the center of the disc where there isnt any silkscreen. I just opened another game that I haven't gotten around to, Infamous Collection, one of the discs has a small pinprick in the screen as well. I keep the discs in a dry closet in my house, so im assuming (and hoping)it isn't anything to do with rot, just a little paint chip missing

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by hamm686 View Post
    Yeah, i'm thinking its just a small manufacturing defect. Theres no damage to the disc whatsoever, or the plastic underneath the silkscreen. The plastic there is the same as the center of the disc where there isnt any silkscreen. I just opened another game that I haven't gotten around to, Infamous Collection, one of the discs has a small pinprick in the screen as well. I keep the discs in a dry closet in my house, so im assuming (and hoping)it isn't anything to do with rot, just a little paint chip missing
    Just remember, the sensitive data is always closer to the label side, so the more physical distress or damage to that side the quicker any cd/dvd/blu-ray media will be unreadable and unrecoverable.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, the ROT issue. Laserdisc collector's have been battling this issue forever. It really sucks to because once it starts, it's a battle you will never win. However, some cases of ROT I have seen aren't Disc Rot at all. Many times it's those people that have the leaning tower of Pisa in their bedrooms. You know the type right? Those people that take all of their CD's, DVD's and BluRays and stack them on top of each other in a rickety looking column with no case or protection. Inevitably, the tower get's knocked over and the discs go a flying. What happens many times without knowing? Top Scratches. The worst enemy CD/DVD Videogames has ever encountered. It's not as prominent now these days as it was back in the 16 bit and 32 bit era's when there was hardly any artwork on the top layer of the discs, but they still happen in those cases too. I tell you, I have been trying to find a top scratch free PO'ed for the 3DO for what seems like forever and I still have yet to find one, sadly. Best advice you can give someone is keep your discs in the cases when you aren't using them and they will work for you. Not saying there isn't that one that just happens, but I'd rather it be one than my whole collection.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, i've never been one to stack my games or anything like that. I keep them standing straight up on the shelves. Don't think I've ever had a top scratch on one of my discs, ever. I did some looking around for similar problems and found someone else suggesting what I thought... that any little space on the disc art that isn't perfectly printed will look like a hole of light when held up to a light, but it's not because the hole doesn't go into the data foil layer. It just looks that way since the discs are transparent. Stuff like that just freaks me out, especially since games aren't exactly cheap. I take good care of my stuff, so I want it to last as long as possible.