Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pirate game soundtracks! Check your discs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sharp
    I think I found another bootleg brand not mentioned, it's SM Records. I have some Virtua Fighter cd's from them, but there is no sign of copyright and the cd's we're released by an other company in Japan.
    sm= sonmay. EA=everanime

they are the 2 biggest taiwanese bootleggers. others include alion and archer, there are probably tons more.
    It is pitch black. If you continue you are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dracula

sm= sonmay. EA=everanime

they are the 2 biggest taiwanese bootleggers. others include alion and archer, there are probably tons more.
    Sorry I didn't read it a bit better. I didn't realise that SM is sonmay. Anyway I knew it were bootlegs when I bought them, but as they were price a euro each I found it a good way to check I liked the cd's and buy the original.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ugg, I just checked my FFVI OSV and it's from Sonmay, and I got from gamemusic.com I think like 8 years ago.

Man after reading this thread again and going back and recheaking a lot of stuff online it's almost impossible NOT to buy a bootleg, but like other people have said, since it's nearly inevitable, I'll be buying all future soundtracks used, that way if I do get a bootleg without knowing it at least I didn't fund the actual company.

Also besides Yahoo Japan anyone know of any online retailers that sell non pirate SDTRKs?

EDIT: are there any good places to download game music? I know downloading the stuff is wrong, but I have to agree with others in saying that it's better to download it yourself than fuel a pirate. At least if I download a game soundtrack it's for my own personal enjoyment, and not to be resold on ebay for $14.95

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Checking through some of my game soundtracks...

Nationally all the stuff published thru/under the Microsoft Game Studios is all legit (Sudeki, Halo, Halo w/DVD, Halo 2 Pt.1, Crimson Skies, Project Gotham 2 (3 different soundtracks), NHL Rivals, Advent Rising, Jade Empire among others).

Also stuff released by BanDai Entertainment as well as Gencon/Pioneer (my .Hack Best Collection (Pioneer) and .Hack Legend of the Twilight (BanDai) ) are also legit.

I do have one pirate that I know for sure (i've got more primarily DDR ones, but they arnt with me ATM) is by Smile Face International Records and its for Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty Soundtrack 2: The Other Side. No where does it mention Konami and the booklet is a simple one pager. Now my MGS3 soundtrack is all Konami (and is legit), comes with a spine card and looks freaking amazing, especially when compared to my MGS2 soundtrack. Both of these were purchased from a Japanese import store in a Japanese mall.

I've got more which I can hopefully check later (Pop N' Music and some FF ones).
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Really, I wouldn't say it's that hard to get only legit albums. I haven't had any problems, and I've bought mine from numerous different sources. There are enough good resources out there to find the info you need on generally any album you could want. Once you know the official publisher, it's just a matter of comparing the two. And if you can't get the info you need from the listing or photo, asking questions never hurts. If I don't get a response at that point, then I just rule out the purchase.

And I don't know what problems gamemusic.com had several years ago, but now they should be okay. Or so I've heard from the hardcore soundtrack collectors; I've yet to buy from them myself. Even with the lower shipping than from buying straight from Japan, the prices tend to be high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently bought two anime soundtracks from Music Factory. If they are pirates, they are really good pirates because they are packaged quite nicely. I bought them from a nice anime store in a nice mall in Kuala Lumpur. Anybody heard anything about Music Factory?

They weren't cheap like pirates, but they weren't super expensive either....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    My best recommendation is to try to avoid buying pirates if you can, but ultimately, get the music and enjoy it, and that's as much of a tribute to the composers as any of us can REALLY make.
    Well put. If you're buying it for the music then enjoy it. I don't feel bad when buying pirates, if the actual honest release was there I'd buy it instead - but it isn't, sucks to be them then. What I'm saying is along the same lines as why I buy used import games. I would love to support the industry for those titles here, but the publishers don't bring the titles stateside so they don't get my money, a reseller does. (and importing games IS ILLEGAL) Yes one is an honest release (the games) and one is a pirated item (music) but the people that should get the money don't either way, because they don't want to provide me with the product directly.

Back when Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon was huge in the US (1998 or so) Sailormoonstore.com was making a killing selling the SonMay releases. In fact ALL of my Sailormoon CD's are SonMay releases - why? Because that's all that anyone here could get their hands on. Although they're pirated the quality is excellent on all of them - in packaging, case, the booklet, disc artwork, and sound quality. Same thing with all my Macross CD's.

And since the day it went on the market, every damn copy of the Ridge Racer Type 4 soundtrack I come across has been an EverAnime copy. With artwork on the inside from the game, Reiko Nagase on the back of the case, stills from the game on the inside, and Namco right on the front - was this the only release and possibly a legal one?

I'm really not crying over my pirated soundtracks, I knew that when I bought them. But until some of these game companies and publishers set up a North American branch to make these soundtracks available, then I'm going to keep right on purchasing the pirated soundtracks. Why? Because it's how you get the freaking music. Then when the game companies and publishers say "the market in the US isn't large enough to sustan us selling soundtracks there" they can look at the amount of bootleg sales that are taking place here and wise up. Until that day they can cram it.

It's not like I think "if I just buy the pirated version I can save $20" it's "I had to search and dig for years to find JUST this pirated version, that's all I came up with, I'm buying it because that's all there is!"

Peach (Level 3) Princess-Isabela's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you are looking for ORIGINAL GAME SOUNDTRACKS - come to me, I'm selling only authentic ones.
    I can find whatever you would like to get, but prices may be high - official osts are expensive, but ultimately - worth it!!
    good post

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, but they're not THAT high. Your prices are overinflated compared to the real market values. You try to squeeze good deals out of the fans on marketplace forums by giving offers so low that they're insulting, and then you try to immediately sell back the same albums to the same communities with a ridiculous price inflation.

It's bad enough to see you constantly hawking your goods at SoundtrackCentral and Chudah's Corner, but now I gotta put up with it here too? :/ You could at least make some attempt to be a real member with posts that actually contribute to discussions, but so far, 99% of your posts are for advertisement purposes. And while you can get away with it in the forums intended for advertising, at the very least, have the decency to not crap up this forum and other discussion forums with that stuff.

I apologize to everyone for getting off-topic and ranting. I just don't want anyone falling sucker to her misleading advertising and ridiculous prices.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    And since the day it went on the market, every damn copy of the Ridge Racer Type 4 soundtrack I come across has been an EverAnime copy. With artwork on the inside from the game, Reiko Nagase on the back of the case, stills from the game on the inside, and Namco right on the front - was this the only release and possibly a legal one?
    http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f39339917

Here's a couple photos of a legit copy. Seems there's no back insert (both copies on Yahoo ATM don't have one). My Parappa the Rapper soundtrack is like that, though, so it's not surprising.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, have just recently joined, and introduced myself on the board.

I also fell into the trap of accidentally buying a pirated CD,, and I purchased a Metal Gear Solid 3 First Bite CD, which, if it was real, would contain a "Special Key Camouflage", however since it was fake, my PS2 couldn't register the CD.

As I have a real copy of another Metal Gear Solid 3 sountrack, which works, and gives me the special camouflage. When I look on the back of the CD there are different layers for the audio, and another layer for the PS2 to register.

Is there anything I can do to get back at the eBay seller, or get a real copy of the CD?

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

You can always report the seller to eBay, but sadly, eBay tends to do nothing even with sellers who sell thousands of pirated albums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln174
    Is there anything I can do to get back at the eBay seller, or get a real copy of the CD?
    You also have to remember a lot of the time if a seller is selling a handfull of pirate CD's they might not even be aware of it themselves, just reselling stuff they've had for awhile. (let's be honest, eBay is the worldwide garage sale) Don't always point the finger at the seller because "THEY should have known better", as this thread demonstrated many people have purchased pirate soundtrack CD's for years and not even noticed it - and some still not really care that they have pirate copies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f39339917

Here's a couple photos of a legit copy. Seems there's no back insert (both copies on Yahoo ATM don't have one). My Parappa the Rapper soundtrack is like that, though, so it's not surprising.
    Damn, thank you! The EverAnime release has the back cover of the booklet as the disc image (instead of Reiko Nagase) and the part number is different as well (GM-094 instead of ZMCX-103). The booklet covers are also more orange than yellow. Oh well, I'm not bummed, as I said in a much earlier post I bought what was available. Until there's a real push to sell the soundtracks direct from the publishers in the states I souldn't have to bust my ass looking for originals, the music is what I'm interested as.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    arthurotaku

You can't sell modded systems or unlicensed games on ebay but you can sell pirate music cds and dvds, funny

XBL: ArthurOtaku
    PSN: Arthur-Otaku

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur-Otaku
    You can't sell modded systems or unlicensed games on ebay but you can sell pirate music cds and dvds, funny
    You can sell modded systems, I do it all the time. However you just have to be careful of your wording and make SURE you note that the modifications do not imply piracy in any way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's funny now. In Europe the SM and Co problem is quilte well-known. It was around 2001/2002 that people became aware of it.
    Guns don't kill people,
    Chuck Norris kills people!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DTJAAAAM
    PSN
    DTJAAAAM

*Sigh* I just discovered that a few of my precious soundtracks are actually bootlegs thanks to this thread...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My sympathies for you buddy.

Unfortunately ebay doesn't give shit about those bootlegs, since they are supposed to be a "grey zone".
    And there are sellers with more than 100 auctions every week!
    Guns don't kill people,
    Chuck Norris kills people!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The cover of my castlevania soundtrack is just a paper sleeve with "MUSIC" written across it with a pen, is that a bad sign?

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bought a SotN soundtrack from someone on GameTZ; it was the EverAnime bootleg after he said it was legit.

I sent him a polite e-mail informing him that it was not the legitimate Konami release and included a link to the Pirate Anime FAQ on page 1, as well as the legit product's listing on Play-Asia.com.

I left him a "poor" for honesty on the GameTZ feedback system, and he continues to insist that he sent me the legit product.

/sigh
    //to be continued
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092