Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PSP to HDMI upscaler Video Review - Lenkeng LKV8000

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Vita hacking is so confusing. I have a Vita TV running 3.60. Has HENkaku and moculear shell and I've got a number of proof of concept but horribly unoptimized PSP emulators running on it.

Are you telling me it IS possible to run PSP isos? I thought that was impossible as of yet?

When it comes to PSP gaming on a PSP, I stand on the side of playing the actual UMDs rather than piracy. but on the Vita where UMDs isn't an option to begin with, I side with PSN. But there are MANY PSP games that I'd want to play on my PSTV that aren't on PSN. Like Megaman Powered Up, Brave Story, Tales of the World Radiant Mythology 2, etc.

Is there now a way to load PSP isos?on Vita TV?
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Vita hacking is so confusing. I have a Vita TV running 3.60. Has HENkaku and moculear shell and I've got a number of proof of concept but horribly unoptimized PSP emulators running on it.

Are you telling me it IS possible to run PSP isos? I thought that was impossible as of yet?

When it comes to PSP gaming on a PSP, I stand on the side of playing the actual UMDs rather than piracy. but on the Vita where UMDs isn't an option to begin with, I side with PSN. But there are MANY PSP games that I'd want to play on my PSTV that aren't on PSN. Like Megaman Powered Up, Brave Story, Tales of the World Radiant Mythology 2, etc.

Is there now a way to load PSP isos?on Vita TV?
    Not on Henkaku. Your firmware is too high, 3.55 or less only. Just the ecfw was able to play PSP Isos because the PSP kernel was loaded with the games it used and it acted as the Vita was a PSP rather than a Vita, which this was also available on the PSTV. The TN-V or ARK but it's a lower firmware. Just wait and PSP will eventually come to Henkaku.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 08-26-2016 at 03:04 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You won't ever find one "cheap". Just bite the bullet and buy one while you still can even find one.
    Where would you even find one anymore?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Where would you even find one anymore?
    If you can't find one in stores, just did a quick Ebay search and they're easy to find $40 new with free shipping. You'll want new as well because they likely haven't been updated, and you'll also need to own a PS3 and PC if you want to get eCFW(PSP,) or Henkaku(no PSP,) because otherwise you'll have to update to 6.01 and even Henkaku is blocked.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 08-26-2016 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

beware of the cheap ones. They're not made by Linkeng, but are knock offs with sound issues and oversaturation problems. Some also don't feature the zoom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    If you can't find one in stores, just did a quick Ebay search and they're easy to find $40 new with free shipping.
    Are we talking about the same thing..? There are no eBay hits for <lkv 8000> or <lkv8000>, and nothing much comes up for <psp to hdmi>.

and you'll also need to own a PS3 and PC if you want to get eCFW(PSP,)
    Are you saying you need a PS3 for a particular PSP firmware update?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

No, that's Vita. You need a PS3 to transfer the data to the Vita as the Vita can't just connect to a PC without HENkaku and moculearshell.

Insert Coin (Level 0) LordsOfSkulls's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    LordsOfSkulls
    PSN
    LordsOfSkulls

so what are you guys typing in Ebay to find this X)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Are we talking about the same thing..? There are no eBay hits for <lkv 8000> or <lkv8000>, and nothing much comes up for <psp to hdmi>.

Are you saying you need a PS3 for a particular PSP firmware update?
    No. Was just talking about why not just use a PSTV since it hooks to the tv and upscales to 720p. And depending on the firmware the Vita can play PSP games.

But maybe not, as some news came up a week ago. PS Vita game software can finally be pirated. The Vita has been on life support, but the amount of game releases we get at retail will reduce to 50% or even 0% due to this announcement in the future. People will argue that piracy doesn't hurt anything, and that the DS did just fine, but you also have to look at the age of the DS' fanbase and the type of people who buy the consoles for their kids(usually people who don't know anything about technology.) The people who bought the Dreamcast, the PSP, the Vita, are these kinds of people, so when word gets around that piracy is a thing on the Vita, if these people even still play the things, most of them are going to pirate. Devs will stop publishing games in the west, it'll be the PSP all over again but worse because the Vita had very little support to begin with. Probably should put this in a new topic.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 09-03-2016 at 12:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

It's unfortunate, but is inevitable that piracy of Vita will eventually happen.

But while piracy will have a certain amount of impact, I don't think it will be as serious a problem as it was on PSP.

The vast majority of Vita owners are adults aged 20 or older. As in, adults who can buy games, not kids who need their parents to buy games for them. As such the Vita has a thriving community of people who demand phyiscal releases of games - see why LimitedRunGames is successful with Vita releases.

One of the compelling reasons for piracy on PSP was because the UMD format was awkward, had slow loading, and had an increased drain on the PSP's battery life since it was a mechanical drive. The Memory card - especially when microSD card adapters came into being - offered a much better alternative, so piracy was the best choice. This isn't the case on Vita. Digital from PSN games and phyiscal Vita cards equally load the same fast speed, and because the Vita has a propitary memory card, it's preferable to go physical to save the download size of the game otherwise needed for the digital version. Plus, it's fun to actually have a physical game.

I think that piracy will potentially dampen sales of digital only games through PSN, but probably won't have much of an impact with anything that's physical.

On the bright side of things, piracy of Vita games means the manipulation of Vita games - which means the potential for fan translations. There are quite a number of Vita games that are only available in Japanese, and the prospect of being able to play them in English is exciting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

It's unfortunate, but is inevitable that piracy of Vita will eventually happen.

But while piracy will have a certain amount of impact, I don't think it will be as serious a problem as it was on PSP.

The vast majority of Vita owners are adults aged 20 or older. As in, adults who can buy games, not kids who need their parents to buy games for them. As such the Vita has a thriving community of people who demand phyiscal releases of games - see why LimitedRunGames is successful with Vita releases.

One of the compelling reasons for piracy on PSP was because the UMD format was awkward, had slow loading, and had an increased drain on the PSP's battery life since it was a mechanical drive. The Memory card - especially when microSD card adapters came into being - offered a much better alternative, so piracy was the best choice. This isn't the case on Vita. Digital from PSN games and phyiscal Vita cards equally load the same fast speed, and because the Vita has a propitary memory card, it's preferable to go physical to save the download size of the game otherwise needed for the digital version. Plus, it's fun to actually have a physical game.

I think that piracy will potentially dampen sales of digital only games through PSN, but probably won't have much of an impact with anything that's physical.

On the bright side of things, piracy of Vita games means the manipulation of Vita games - which means the potential for fan translations. There are quite a number of Vita games that are only available in Japanese, and the prospect of being able to play them in English is exciting.
    Let's not forget emulators. The PSP has some good emulators such as Masterboy 2.10. But MAME is hit and miss. However, the beefier processor on the Vita should make for better emulator experiences.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Yes......if they become optimized for the hardware, that is. Homebrew emulators for gaming devices are almost always ported over from te PC version as-is with very minor UI changes and control changes as are nessesary for the new platform. but the actual emulator itself is foreign code written for foreign hardware.

The Vita runs PSP and PS1 games incredibly well because Sony built emulators for the Vita specifically. Had they not, PSP emulation on the Vita would be about as good as PSP emulation on the Ouya - works, but lots of problems.

Another issue is gaining access to the entire raw power of the Vita. I've read that currently Vita homebrew can only access about 1/5th the Vita's output, and that's why only very small scale homebrew has been possible.

Regardless, I don't think piracy will hamper the Vita's software sales very much. The process to actually get homebrew is cumbersome and requires very specific outdated firmware and the Vita ahs no way of downgrading firmware. Plus, because of its librbary, the Vita's fanbase is almost entirely made up of hardcore gamers - the kind of person who imports games from the other side of the world if they don't get released in their country. The kind of person who buys a limited run game release. The kind of person who loves the Vita despite its lack of any recent AAA games. These people buy physical Vita games and so piracy is not a consideration.