Thread: ActionMax homebrew

Insert Coin (Level 0) atari2600land's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ActionMax homebrew

I am just wondering how many people would be interested in an ActionMax homebrew game. I'd like it to come in VHS format like all the others, but I'm not so sure that could happen since the standard is now DVDs and not very many people have both an ActionMax AND a VCR, so I may have to make it DVD. I'd do all the filming and stuff and it may come in a specially made box if enough people are interested in a VHS edition. The homebrew game would be called "Bubba's Buck Blastin'" and it would involve shooting alien deer in a forest. Reply here if you'd be interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Very interested.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Cherry (Level 1) CastlevaniaDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atari2600land View Post
    I am just wondering how many people would be interested in an ActionMax homebrew game. I'd like it to come in VHS format like all the others, but I'm not so sure that could happen since the standard is now DVDs and not very many people have both an ActionMax AND a VCR, so I may have to make it DVD. I'd do all the filming and stuff and it may come in a specially made box if enough people are interested in a VHS edition. The homebrew game would be called "Bubba's Buck Blastin'" and it would involve shooting alien deer in a forest. Reply here if you'd be interested.
    I don't know if interested is the word so much as curious?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Throw in a level with zombie deer and I'm all in. Well, actually I'm all in even without that! Just make sure it has the same level of crappy acting as the original games, that's what makes it so much fun!
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd probably never be able to actually play it, but I'd love to watch some youtube playthroughs of the finished product

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is a shot of the title card. It's blurry because it's best viewed in motion. The motion is driving down a road to get to where the alien deer are, the introduction.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	titlescreen.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	7178

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I'm surprised that more homebrews haven't been made for this system over the years. It should be easy, considering that most of the "games" cost pennies to make, with all the low budget greenscreen special effects, model spaceships on fishing line, and occasional puppetry. Instead of doing a DVD of it, could there be a workaround to hook it up to a computer monitor and just make the game a digital download, sort of like Rifftrax? I actually have two ActionMax consoles and I've never bothered to hook them up or even give them a hard glance, so I don't know if they need to hook up to a VCR first and then through to the TV or what.

Couldn't some enterprising person take a bunch of clips from various Star Trek series of enemy spaceships, doctor them with those blinking circles for the lightgun to target, and edit the clips to make a kind of shooting gallery game? It could be put on YouTube for free. It'd be a lot easier than creating a new half hour video from scratch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And I thought the Odyssey homebrews were a bit out there... Yeah, I'd be interested.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Couldn't some enterprising person take a bunch of clips from various Star Trek series of enemy spaceships, doctor them with those blinking circles for the lightgun to target, and edit the clips to make a kind of shooting gallery game? It could be put on YouTube for free. It'd be a lot easier than creating a new half hour video from scratch.
    Heck, you could probably rip some of the footage from the VHS-based Star Trek boardgame if you really had to.

I was actually talking to my brother about the unlikelihood that anyone would ever do homebrew for the Action Max just because I doubted there would be any interest in this. Fascinating. Definitely call me curious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm still working on this. Here is a screenshot from the progress in-game. I have just started, so it's quite early in the game. It should work since I'm using the same technique I used to make a working test DVD for the ActionMax. Right now, I only have two enemies in the game right now, which goes to show you how early stages the game is. I hope to complete this thing by May and perhaps a release of September if things go well and enough people are interested.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bubbascreenshot2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	7213

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi! It's been quite a while since I last posted about this. I had forgotten about this project, but last night I toiled on it for a few hours and got the firing part finished. I just tested out my ActionMax, toying with it for a few hours trying to get it to work, and a change of batteries did the trick. So now what I need to do is work on the ending. I did the voice over for the intro this morning and inserted it into the game. I know it's really weird to get excited for a system from 1987 that works with VHS tapes and all it does is shoot stuff on the screen. I don't know whether to make another homebrew game after this one. It depends on how many people get the first one and if I think up of any ideas. And there's going to be an Easter egg in the final product. But first I need to finish it!

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm game. Looks interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bump. I'm working on a second ActionMax homebrew, called "Nightmare Nemesis." I don't know when it will be finished, though. I'll try for late Summer 2016.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

That sounds amazing, count me in.